Where to get COVID test post cruise

ycl

My husband and I would like to extend our vacation after our British Isles cruise. We are considering Italy or Spain. But their entry requirements include a negative COVID test.  Is there somewhere at or near the Southampton port for us to take the test and get results within the day?  Thanks

15 hours ago, ycl said:

We are considering Italy or Spain. But their entry requirements include a negative COVID test.

I’m not sure this is right? Italy requires either full vaccination, a negative test or recovery certificate. But as understand it, Spain only allows access for those fully vaccinated or with a recovery certificate - there is no exemption for negative tests? 

On 4/7/2022 at 4:53 PM, ycl said:

My husband and I would like to extend our vacation after our British Isles cruise. We are considering Italy or Spain. But their entry requirements include a negative COVID test.  Is there somewhere at or near the Southampton port for us to take the test and get results within the day?  Thanks

Would your ship not do the testing? Many are offering testing the day before disembarkment  or that day.

I'm a local, but I know very little about Covid testing as I've not needed a test for travel out of the UK.

Can I presume that you're US citizens (Florida?), & not resident in the UK or EU.

The testing centre linked above in Milolii's first post  https://www.theregenerativeclinic.co.uk/covid-19-60-minute-express-pcr-test/southampton-covid-19-pcr-test-appointment-booking-60-minute-express/    is actually in the West Quay Centre (shopping mall)  in the centre of town & convenient to the cruise terminals - a walk of 10 - 15 minutes from City cruise terminal, or 15 to 20 minutes from Ocean cruise terminal, or a 5-minute taxi hop from the other cruise terminals.

They offer both PCR tests and Antigen tests, you need to know which is required because that determines the cost (a whopping £199 for a PCR test with 60-minute results, a much more manageable £39 for an Antigen test with 4-hour results).

Those prices are fairly typical around the country. You won't find a more-convenient location in Southampton - you may find a little cheaper, but in a Google search for "Covid tests, Southampton UK" the word Southampton is ignored in a great many listings for bases elsewhere in the UK with turnaround times of 24+ hours, which will frustratingly waste your time.

Or, convenient if you plan to fly from Southampton airport, you can get a rapid Antigen test there for £55 with result & e-mailed certificate within minutes. But PCR results take 24+ hours.

https://www.southamptonairport.com/coronavirus/rapid-antigen-test

I know that many cruise lines offer testing on arrival, but for some countries you'd need a fresh test shortly before the end of your cruise & that may not be possible on-board.

Do check the requirements of your destination.

Spain doesn't currently require those vaccinated in the UK or EU to test if - within 2 days of travel - they apply for an on-line QR code. The application system is a little complex, but with that QR code (in print or on a tablet) the actual entry into Spain is quick & easy. But I don't know if that's available to those vaccinated outside the EU or UK.

Spain still has a mask-wearing requirement in shops, in health facilities & on public transport, but other than that there are no significant restrictions. 

Being fairly vulnerable, at first we avoided foreign travel.

Later many countries banned travel from the UK  anyway.

Now that travel restrictions are more relaxed, plus we're fully vaxed plus current Covid mutations are less-dangerous we've lost our inhibitions - but the different requirements of different countries & cruise lines, and the risk of changes in those requirements, mean that  in the near future we're still unlikely to do much international travelling despite very itchy feet.😟

JB 🙂

Edited by John Bull

5 hours ago, John Bull said:

The testing centre linked above in Milolii's first post  https://www.theregenerativeclinic.co.uk/covid-19-60-minute-express-pcr-test/southampton-covid-19-pcr-test-appointment-booking-60-minute-express/    is actually in the West Quay Centre (shopping mall)  in the centre of town & convenient to the cruise terminals - a walk of 10 - 15 minutes from City cruise terminal, or 15 to 20 minutes from Ocean cruise terminal, or a 5-minute taxi hop from the other cruise terminals.

They offer both PCR tests and Antigen tests, you need to know which is required because that determines the cost (a whopping £199 for a PCR test with 60-minute results, a much more manageable £39 for an Antigen test with 4-hour results).

Thanks as always for your helpful info.   We will be embarking on a Celebrity transatlantic in October out of Southampton.  Right now, pre-embarkation testing is still required; I am hoping things will change in the next six months, but am looking into options now in case they don't.   You said that the testing center you mentioned above offers rapid antigen tests as well as the (very!) expensive PCR tests, but I only see an option for PCR tests when I go to their web site.   Am I missing something?

Thanks!!

1 hour ago, Turtles06 said:

Am I missing something?

Thanks!!

Yep. 😉

Click on the Covid 19 header, then "read about Covid-19 testing", then "departing from the UK" takes you to the choices.

Except of course there'll be a change or three between now & October 🙄😉

JB 🙂

1 hour ago, Turtles06 said:

You said that the testing center you mentioned above offers rapid antigen tests as well as the (very!) expensive PCR tests, but I only see an option for PCR tests when I go to their web site.   Am I missing something?

https://www.theregenerativeclinic.co.uk/southampton-covid-19-rapid-antigen-test-appointment-booking/