Covid Testing - Southampton

11 minutes ago, Idratherbeatsea said:

Not leaving until August 1 so maybe will change..but for now would you test in London or Southampton. In London 5 days prior and Southampton day before cruise. Think I read 3 days before if fully vaccinated.

comments?

We will be in Southampton 2 days prior to our cruise, but have decided we will just get tested at the pier. Princess charge $60, charged to your room. It is a higher charge than elsewhere but rather than hunt around Southampton for a test, we'll just do it before boarding.

7 hours ago, himan said:

Is it possible to get tested at Southampton airport as I see they offer antigen tests but this may well be for flights out of the airport only?

Yes, there are both PCR and Antigen testing at Southampton airport.

I see no reason why it should be confined to those flying from the airport - the facilities are landside, and it's not possible to go airside without test certification if flying to a destination which requires it.

But the airport isn't convenient for cruisers, it's outside the city & about a £20 each-way taxi ride. The testing operator has a more convenient facility in Shirley, a Southampton suburb. https://www.southamptonairport.com/coronavirus/rapid-antigen-test/

ExpressTest is less than a mile from the airport, it's located at a local football club so no shopping centre or taxi rank.

Most-convenient in Southampton is https://www.theregenerativeclinic.co.uk/covid-19-60-minute-express-pcr-test/southampton-covid-19-pcr-test-appointment-booking-60-minute-express/  It's in the large West Quay shopping mall, walkable from City, Ocean and Horizon cruise terminals.

Do check which type of test is required, PCR is more expensive than Antigen.

Equally-important, the cost of a test depends on how quickly a result is required. For instance, a tolerable £40 for a PCR test can be a horrendous £200 for a rapid result.  For that reason, and the number of providers available, those spending pre-cruise time or post-cruise time in London should follow ChC's advice and get their tests there, and as many days before travel as is acceptable to their destinations or cruise ship.

Most cruise ships offer pre-cruise testing - this is simpler and more time-efficient, which makes up for their (probably) higher price.

JB 🙂

Here's another thread on the subject 

Thanks for that info JB. It's just that we fly in to Southampton on the Thursday before sailing as we are coming from Scotland so I was thinking it may be possible to get it done at the airport as long as Princess accept the test results and as long as they are willing to do it.

45 minutes ago, himan said:

Thanks for that info JB. It's just that we fly in to Southampton on the Thursday before sailing as we are coming from Scotland so I was thinking it may be possible to get it done at the airport as long as Princess accept the test results and as long as they are willing to do it.

You don't say what day you're sailing but if it's within Princess' maximum time-scale (if you sail on the friday it will be, the saturday it very probably will be, the sunday might depend on the destination ports), then it should be acceptable - provided that Princess don't require that passengers take their test at the cruise terminal.

Also depends on which type of test Princess require -  hopefully Antigen tests, PCR tests are expensive for  rapid results

I have no personal experience of cruising since the start of the pandemic, what I know (or think that I know) is gleaned from the internet.

So check with both Princess and the test provider - by text or e-mail so that you get replies in writing.

And asking on the Princess forum might bring first-hand experience, but be sure it's up-to-date.  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/119-princess-cruises/

JB 🙂

While I was composing a reply on a thread about Covid testing in Southampton, there was a flurry of replies, my desk-top had a hiccup, and now I can't find them or even the thread I was replying to. 🥴

Jeez, don't I hate technology. 

A member (was it BFG?) suggested Lloyds pharmacy, probably on another thread somewhere.

This is my reply................

Good find.🙂

For whatever reason, I overlooked Lloyds - they are probably the second-biggest pharmacy chain after Boots.

https://lloydspharmacy.com/pages/covid-test-for-travel

They have several branches in Southampton, their most convenient one is at 76 St Mary's Street, a 10 - 15 minute walk from The Bargate which is the very centre of the city. (You won't see it on Google streetview - it's in a market square behind the Kingsland Tavern)

Their website says they carry out in-person lateral-flow Antigen tests, with a fit-to-fly certificate at a cost of £30, you pay for it and get results & certification all in one pre-booked visit.

I phoned the St Mary's Road branch, they confirmed that they carry out those tests at that branch in-store.

The sort of simplicity that a visitor needs.🙂

They are not booking tests for saturdays or sundays, because they do not have a pharmacist on duty.

And they advise not to book fridays if possible, because they don't have their regular pharmacist on duty.

I read elsewhere on Cruise Critic that a lateral flow antigen test is sufficient for entry into the US, but that's something you need to check.

Some countries require a PCR test - that branch of Lloyd's does PCR tests, cost £79, but results take two days.

JB 🙂

• Like 1

On 4/20/2022 at 7:17 AM, John Bull said:

I read elsewhere on Cruise Critic that a lateral flow antigen test is sufficient for entry into the US, but that's something you need to check.

Some countries require a PCR test - that branch of Lloyd's does PCR tests, cost £79, but results take two days.

JB 🙂

We are guessing that it will be okay to wait until we get into London to book our antigen tests for the return flights to the USA.  Do you agree with my thinking as I am hoping the USA will do away with USA residents' need to be tested for the flight. If not, we will be ready!

https://dam-health.com/southampton/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwpImTBhCmARIsAKr58cxaOJpFlyKivUrByzX5l_SdARoYGUv9wYJAtFV93kvbmXIyH1khb_waAhspEALw_wcB

Most people recommend this place. 

I go through the airport regularly - it’s only open for a few hours in the afternoon. 

Yes you only need LFT to enter USA. 

Also check out Lloyds pharmacy which has branches in Sainsburys superstores. 

Edited by little britain

58 minutes ago, Markanddonna said:

We are guessing that it will be okay to wait until we get into London to book our antigen tests for the return flights to the USA.  Do you agree with my thinking as I am hoping the USA will do away with USA residents' need to be tested for the flight. If not, we will be ready!

My only worry about leaving it late to book in the hopes of the requirement being dropped is whether you'll find places fully-booked - especially in London..

As per my previous post, Lloyd's Pharmacy's website says you don't pay until you attend for your pre-booked in-person test / result / fit-to-fly certification.

So you could figure their most convenient branch in London & book an Antigen test with them. If things change you can cancel or change, or - although it'd be impolite at best - simply not show up.

JB 🙂 

21 hours ago, John Bull said:

As per my previous post, Lloyd's Pharmacy's website says you don't pay until you attend for your pre-booked in-person test / result / fit-to-fly certification.

So you could figure their most convenient branch in London & book an Antigen test with them. If things change you can cancel or change, or - although it'd be impolite at best - simply not show up.

JB 🙂 

Good advice. thanks. A Lloyds pharmacy is indeed close to our hotel.

• Like 1