FIORDLAND NEW ZEALAND

harbourside

The itinerary state Cruising Fiordland National Park. 

Does this mean they will do more than just the Milford Sounds???.

For 2024 I have the option of Encore or Odyssey for the same cruise.  Any preference.  I know Odyssey is older but has recently been renovated.

Thanks

I would choose the Odyssey as it's much smaller and can get closer in to the small bays and inlets.  Doubtful Sound is far more impressive than Milford where the iconic peak view can easily be seen from the land.   This area is heavily weather dependent so Seabourn can't predict exactly where the ship will go.  It's possible they will offer zodiac trips in calm weather.

Edited by Fletcher

We’ve cruised NZ twice on two non Seabourn cruise lines but they all do the same, I believe. There are three Sounds.. We’ve been very lucky with the weather - sunshine and mottled clouds, so the scenery constantly changed. Milford is spectacular with the coast very close on both sides of the ship. In my subjective opinion this is the absolute highlight - it’s the first and usually at a convenient post breakfast time. The ship does its turn near the end of the Sound and it’s bow basically gets very close to a waterfall - a highlight. Everybody is out on the decks for Milford. The ships then go through Doubtful and Dusty during the course of the day. The second Sound had half the crowd out and the third had basically the most enthusiastic photographers - human nature that we get blasé pretty quickly. 

It’s a great experience but very subject to the temperamental weather and if you’re unlucky, the ships won’t even venture into the Sounds.

10 hours ago, Fletcher said:

I would choose the Odyssey as it's much smaller and can get closer in to the small bays and inlets.

@Fletcher The Encore is actually only 9 meters longer than the Odyssey (and 2 meters wider). Does such a small difference in length really make a difference in where the ships can go?

Sailing through Doubtful and Dusky Sounds is different than sailing in Milford Sound.  Milford Sound:  the ship sails in, turns around, and sails out.  Doubtful and Dusky Sounds:  the ship sails in one end of the Sound, through the Sound, and out the exit of the Sound.  It's a different experience.  All three are memorable.  All three are weather dependent.  

rkacruiser its not a matter of as you say the ships just sail , turns around and sails out of Milford Sound as there are waterfalls there of which some ships will pull into real close if the weather is good. We did spend several hours there just cruising around

Here is a photo we took from the Radiance of the Seas, 2500 passengers to larger than Seabourns ships a few years ago

I seem to remember we also did the same to another waterfall but this one was the best

MILFORD SOUND (2).JPG

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Thecat123 said:

rkacruiser its not a matter of as you say the ships just sail , turns around and sails out of Milford Sound as there are waterfalls there of which some ships will pull into real close if the weather is good. We did spend several hours there just cruising around

Agree, if the weather is good and the ship's itinerary allows for such time spent in Milford Sound, the experience in Milford Sound is great.  I have had two cruises visiting the three Sounds that I mentioned.  Dusky and Doubtful--each time--have been more significant memories for me than the visits to Milford Sound.  

• 1 month later...
On 3/30/2022 at 10:48 AM, Thecat123 said:

Here is a photo we took from the Radiance of the Seas, 2500 passengers to larger than Seabourns ships a few years ago

I seem to remember we also did the same to another waterfall but this one was the best

MILFORD SOUND (2).JPG

Seabourn Encore ventures has Inflatables that go to the waterfall and around Milford Sound, Dusky is cruising only.  You'll also go to Stewart Island which is also pristine and absolutley beautiful .