Arcadia Jottings

wowzz

2 hours ago, Bill Y said:

We enjoyed a similar cruise in 2018, then Quebec City was included, which they are not doing now.

Quebec is the most distant port on the Canadian cruise that goes up the St Lawrence, whilst NYC is the most distant port in the cruise which does the N American Eastern Seaboard, visiting Canadian and US ports.  P&O have been offering both for a number of years in September and are still doing so, even in future seasons, which have been released.  They alternate Aurora and Arcadia for those cruises, so each of them does one cruise one year and the alternative cruise the next year.

Quebec is a fair distance up the St Lawrence in Canada, so well away from NYC.

Edited by tring

2 hours ago, Selbourne said:

I wonder if we were on the same cruise (Sep 2018 Aurora)? As you say, docking in Manhattan within an easy walk of all the sights was a massive advantage over Cunard, whose passengers had to trek back and forth to Brooklyn. It was a fantastic itinerary (although our call at Newport Rhode Island was cancelled) and we loved Quebec. Neither of us enjoyed the 6 sea days each way though, so unfortunately it has put us off longer cruises. We discovered that 2 to 3 sea days in a row is the absolute maximum for us, although I realise that we are in the minority in that regard. 

We were on that cruise, and really enjoyed it.

However, I did find the journey back to be a drag, as the weather was so dull and gloomy. 

I don’t mind long periods at sea - the year before we had crossed the Pacific, but the days were always sunny. It’s the weather that makes the difference 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I don’t mind long periods at sea - the year before we had crossed the Pacific, but the days were always sunny. It’s the weather that makes the difference 

Totally agree.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tring said:

Quebec is the most distant port on the Canadian cruise that goes up the St Lawrence, whilst NYC is the most distant port in the cruise which does the N American Eastern Seaboard, visiting Canadian and US ports.  P&O have been offering both for a number of years in September and are still doing so, even in future seasons, which have been released.  They alternate Aurora and Arcadia for those cruises, so each of them does one cruise one year and the alternative cruise the next year.

Quebec is a fair distance up the St Lawrence in Canada, so well away from NYC.

I am not sure what your point is? Although starting and ending in Southampton it was in effect a cruise between NYC and Quebec City, It appealed to us as it was a revisit to NYC after 29 years and a first visit to Boston and Quebec City. I note that two others on this thread were onboard and also enjoyed it. although we have enjoyed every cruise that we have been on.

One is aware that P&O change itineraries so as to encourage people to revisit an area without repeating the same ports. Before booking this cruise we had noticed in the years before that P&O had offered both NYC and Quebec City on the same cruise, but I don't think that I have seen it recently which has surprised me.

Edited by Bill Y

8 minutes ago, Bill Y said:

I am not sure what your point is? Although starting and ending in Southampton it was in effect a cruise between NYC and Quebec City, It appealed to us as it was a revisit to NYC after 29 years and a first visit to Boston and Quebec City. I note that two others on this thread were onboard and also enjoyed it. although we have enjoyed every cruise that we have been on.

One is aware that P&O change itineraries so was to encourage people to revisit an area without repeating the same ports. Before booking this cruise we had noticed in the years before that P&O had offered both NYC and Quebec City on the same cruise, but I don't think that I have seen it recently which has surprised me.

I thought your comment was saying P&O no longer go to Quebec at all and I was explaining that they do go every year.

You must be going back a number of years, but P&O are still offering both cities, and have been for a while, but on different cruise itineraries, 30 nights for the Eastern Seaboard and about 24 nights for the Quebec roundtrip one, with a fair number of other ports in those areas on both cruises.  If you went to both of those on the same cruise, there would have been a very long route when over there, so would either had been a longer cruise, or there would have been less time to visit ports. I have not seen an itinerary doing both locations, unless the ships are sailing from NY to Quebec as fly cruises from here.

Personally I would prefer the current itineraries, though each person will have their own preferences. 

7 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

If the poster has 3 days, they could always stay overnight.  You are allowed to do that.

True, but I would make more use of that time visiting places closer to New York, that don’t have 5 hours on a train.

I was due to visit Washington in 2020 to meet up with a distance cousin whom I contacted during researching my family tree, he had invited us to go and stay with him. He had worked at Capitol Hill before going retiring and was going to take us on a guided tour of Washington. Sadly he caught Covid, he survived but is suffering from Long Covid so not sure when or if we will meet up.