Anchorage to Seward plus dog sled tour

Signdy

I’m arriving in Anchorage the night before my cruise. Would like to take the train to Seward the next morning and take a sled dog tour before boarding the ship. Doable? What can I do with my luggage? Regent will take it only if I take their bus from anchorage to Seward. Is the train trip worth the extra hassle in your opinion? Also, is it easy to find Ubers or taxis in Seward?

Used to be you could check your bags on the train through to the ship. 

We took the train on our first Alaska cruise and it was fine. If we do another I will look into renting a car. I like to be able to stop and look around. 

A few years ago, we arrived in Seward, took the train to Anchorage in the afternoon and did the sled dog tour with Seavey's in between. We were able to check in our luggage at the train station before going on the sled dog tour. So you might check with the train station to see if you can leave your luggage there or ask the tour operator if you can bring it with you. The train station is within walking distance to the port.

Your other option is to arrive in Seward the day before, leave your luggage at the hotel. Do the tour and then walk to the ship with the luggage. It’s very close to Hotel 360°, which is also right near the station.  

If it is a really special tour in Seward then go through all the hoops of checking bags in early,, etc. , however I would suggest the helicopter and dog sled tour out of Juneau. It is really amazing and worth every penny. Helicopter and see glaciers up close, go to the dog sled camp, and take a dog team on the ice field. Best tour ever with EVA helicopters (not through ship)