Marella - drop in standards??

Bit concerned about our cruise after reading lots of posts on here.  Have no experience of Marella - only ever Thomson, which I could not criticise.  Absolutely loved them all - standard of service excellent, staff so friendly, food, drinks etc and entertainment all wonderful.  

Now reading since it has changed to Marella that that standard has dropped.  Especially around MDR.  On one cruise we were on, there was a family of around 10 who were an absolute nightmare!  Thought it funny to throw towels in pool, then whizz them round soaking everyone sitting around pool, then meal times were a bit of a riot with them.  They let their kids run absolute riot!  I remember at breakfast at the buffet, the kids (toddlers) were left to wander on their own in amongst folk getting breakfast.  No shoes on and in where the hot food was being served.  It was a bit of a nightmare and everyone was avoiding them like the plague!  Don't blame staff for not challenging anyone, their job is hard enough, and some people are just so rude!!!!

I am having visions of something like this again, with people rolling up to the restaurant is swimwear etc!  Our friends are coming on their first cruise after our recommendation and worried sick now!  

We are really laid back and make the most of our time on board.  Honest thoughts please - doing 3 weeks transatlantic, and I believe it's adults only.  Has anyone had cause to complain?  If so, why?  How was it handled? 😬

• Like 1

We were on 3 weeks ago, and we didn't encounter anything similar to your previous cruise experience (and we have seen similar poor behaviour on Thomson ships through excess alcohol).  I think the age demographic has lowered a bit, but we never had any issues with anyone on board. We did avoid the Squid and Anchor (which can get rowdy sometimes), but only because we were avoiding areas most likely to be crowded due to Covid.

That was our 12th Thomson/Marella cruise, the first being in 2011 when we sailed on the Destiny, so we have seen 'before and after' Marella.

I think the food has suffered a little in the MDR (particularly portion sizes) and service was sometimes hit and miss, but we enjoyed the cruise, and I'm sure you will.

Covid protocols have changed on flights since we went, and I believe masks are being dropped on board Discovery (but I may be wrong), which would be my main concern if cruising now.

Edited by howmuch!
  • Like 1

To be honest I haven’t seen anything like what you described on any of the Marella trips that we have been on, There have been passengers a bit tipsy but not drunk as such (and they were old enough to know better)😊 On the trips that we have been on that allowed children we haven’t seen any problems at all. standards have perhaps dropped regarding service and portion sizes in the MDR but you can always ask for more if necessary. Enjoy your Cruise you will be fine.👍

ps 

which cruse line were the  family of ten on in your previous post?

9 hours ago, howmuch! said:

We were on 3 weeks ago, and we didn't encounter anything similar to your previous cruise experience (and we have seen similar poor behaviour on Thomson ships through excess alcohol).  I think the age demographic has lowered a bit, but we never had any issues with anyone on board. We did avoid the Squid and Anchor (which can get rowdy sometimes), but only because we were avoiding areas most likely to be crowded due to Covid.

That was our 12th Thomson/Marella cruise, the first being in 2011 when we sailed on the Destiny, so we have seen 'before and after' Marella.

I think the food has suffered a little in the MDR (particularly portion sizes) and service was sometimes hit and miss, but we enjoyed the cruise, and I'm sure you will.

Covid protocols have changed on flights since we went, and I believe masks are being dropped on board Discovery (but I may be wrong), which would be my main concern if cruising now.

Not long watched a youtube vid and masks and social distancing were dropped on Discovery around 27th March along with self service buffet back in play

Unfortunately we have experienced some drunken rude behaviour a few times on board. Varies from week to week. On a two week cruise the first week can be fine, the following week it can be totally different with new people boarding. Or vice versa. 

Most of the problems we have found are with large groups of people travelling together who can become quite rowdy.

Another problem we have found on a few occasions is people smoking and vaping outside the designated areas. A lady ( not me, lol ) reported this to an officer when we were on board and it was dealt with promptly. 

Haven't had many problems with children on board, most well behaved. Just the once there was a group of young boys continually pressing the buttons on all the lifts so that they were stopping at every deck  When asked why they were doing it they said because they were bored. 

Everyone's experience will be different at different times as the passengers will change from week to week, sometimes crew will change.  A change of Food and Beverage Manager or Maitre'd can mean the difference between an ok dining experience and a bad one. 

What annoys me is if someone has had a not so good experience and they post their review on a cruise forum there are people ready to shoot them down in flames and accuse them of being moaners. 

I would say to anyone going soon go with an open mind and accept that things are a bit different now compared with  pre Covid and pre the change to  Marella.

• Thanks 1

I was on 2 weeks ago and saw no bad behaviour. Everybody seemed very respectful of each other.

It can get a bit loud in certain venues - normally when there is a quiz or something. No bad behaviour in the MDR or buffet. Staff were all lovely as usual.

• Thanks 2

I have only been on Marella Explorer 2 adults only ship on one cruise last year and it was fine - very good staff and nothing excessive.

I found it just as good if not better than the old Thomson ones.

Obviously you won’t have any badly behaved children if you are going on Explorer 2.

I only ever go on adults only cruises.

Hope you have a great cruise.

• Like 1

I concur it depends on the ship, EX2 is all adults and in our experience mainly couples so fairly civilised and people in general made a big effort on DTI night. This was in May. 

On Discovery 2, a 'family' ship we experienced a more noisy experience, different atmosphere and less compliance on DTI night ( a few Onslows lol see keeping up appearances for ref!) TBF it was end of summer holiday season end Aug/start sept)

Best advice is to go with an open mind and enjoy it your way, if you go looking for faults and dramas likely you'll find them, but go with the flow and on the whole you'll have a fab time. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 4/4/2022 at 11:19 AM, 2BACRUISER said:

I concur it depends on the ship, EX2 is all adults and in our experience mainly couples so fairly civilised and people in general made a big effort on DTI night. This was in May. 

On Discovery 2, a 'family' ship we experienced a more noisy experience, different atmosphere and less compliance on DTI night ( a few Onslows lol see keeping up appearances for ref!) TBF it was end of summer holiday season end Aug/start sept)

Best advice is to go with an open mind and enjoy it your way, if you go looking for faults and dramas likely you'll find them, but go with the flow and on the whole you'll have a fab time. 

A few years ago I got  chatting to a couple sitting round the pool, Daisy and Onslow lookalikes. The lady was telling me about her husbands operation. Couldn't believe it when she told her husband to lift his vest and show me his scar. As the cruise went on I met them a few times and they were a really lovely couple.

On 4/4/2022 at 11:19 AM, 2BACRUISER said:

noncompliance

[non″kom-pli´ans] 

1. failure or refusal to conform to or follow rules, regulations, or the advice or wishes of another.

Isn’t  it wonderful that we live in a democracy and we are able to choose to do as we wish within reason?
As stated in an earlier post “ Just enjoy your cruise, don’t worry about other people “😉

I was on the Explorer at Christmas/New Year and there’s was trouble in the Squid & Anchor. Two or three woman were dancing near the tables and not wearing masks. A male passenger sat in front of them  politely told them about their lack of mask, they took no notice. The passenger again asked them to wear a mask, to which he was told to f**k off, their behaviour almost end in a fight between passengers.

security were called and they arrived about ten minutes later. The woman and their  party  were asked to leave the pub, which they did, after a lot of arguing.

This was the only incident I saw,  and all because of the rude and disrespectful  behaviour of these women. 

2 hours ago, Pensioncruiser said:

Not like you BJ, perhaps out of context. 

Hi PC. Hope you and mrs PC are keeping well.

On reading it back I see your point, 🤦🏻‍♂️Perhaps I should have said “ Don’t worry about what other people are doing” enjoy your cruise. What I was trying to get across is wherever you go you will always get some people tut tutting and moaning about something,usually trivial When you are on holiday just enjoy yourself it costs a fair bit of cash to get there so have a good time.

Regards BJ 🤝😉

• Like 2

Re the dancing without masks, we were on a UK cruise where it was not clear what was allowed. Staff had personal opinions, which caused conflict. Supposedly you were allowed to dance at your table without masks but not on the dance floor. Or maybe I have those the wrong way round. Essentially brought out the worst in some staff who wanted to "be in charge".  Perhaps what you experienced.

Agree with nancyneptune about the week-by week differences in the cruise population. On a Caribbean cruise, the difference between week 1 and week 2 was massive with a lack of control of kids in week 2. And same week we saw the only example of overindulgence in alcohol by a group.

Usually everyone is friendly and "normal". Some people don't know how to behave - they would be the same on holiday anywhere.

On 3/30/2022 at 12:24 PM, Brummijam said:

To be honest I haven’t seen anything like what you described on any of the Marella trips that we have been on, There have been passengers a bit tipsy but not drunk as such (and they were old enough to know better)😊 On the trips that we have been on that allowed children we haven’t seen any problems at all. standards have perhaps dropped regarding service and portion sizes in the MDR but you can always ask for more if necessary. Enjoy your Cruise you will be fine.👍

ps 

which cruse line were the  family of ten on in your previous post?

Thomson! Obviously now Marella 😬

• Thanks 1