I know that times have changed and these things would be frowned upon now but I miss...

Ilovesailaway

Back before drink packages and back when you could smoke on the balconies we had the best sail away parties. Friends and relatives would book several balcony rooms next to each other. We would bring along a couple rum runners, a speaker, open the dividers ourselves and have a great time. After our party we would close the dividers and clean up after ourselves. Our cabin steward was always cool with our in cabin bar.

Now I no longer smoke. A lot of the people I used to cruise with don't have the time anymore. These days I buy the drink package, make new friends and still love cruising but I do miss the old days of those balcony parties.

I also miss the midnight deck parties...

Anyway just some random thoughts before bed lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

May I add to your post the memories of the ability of friends boarding the ship for a pre-departure cruise party in our stateroom?  Canapes and beverages could be ordered with the pre-cruise party being able to roam the ship before sailing.  

At sailing, streamers could be cast ashore as the ship pulled away from the pier.  

And, for sailings from Hawaii, leis could be cast into the water as the ship sailed to "help insure a return to the Aloha State".  

Why not now?  Environmental concerns?   Yes.  Security concerns?  Yes.  But, "something" has been lost since my first cruise on July 27, 1970.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

At sailing, streamers could be cast ashore as the ship pulled away from the pier.  

And, for sailings from Hawaii, leis could be cast into the water as the ship sailed to "help insure a return to the Aloha State".

I think those things can be replicated today.  We'd just make the streamers and leis out of rice paper or cornstarch.  That stuff dissolves in water like sugar.  Fun for the passengers, safe for the oceans; win-win!  But "they" will get their panties in a notch if cruise passengers even think about it.

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

May I add to your post the memories of the ability of friends boarding the ship for a pre-departure cruise party in our stateroom?  Canapes and beverages could be ordered with the pre-cruise party being able to roam the ship before sailing.  

Why not now?  Environmental concerns?   Yes.  Security concerns?  Yes.  But, "something" has been lost since my first cruise on July 27, 1970.  

I remember with looking forward to boarding the QE2 in the West Side Manhattan Ship Terminal for a Caribbean Cruise. Walking into the terminal and clearing security, you already heard the Steel Band playing and you know the cruise has started and sailing away was not too long off.

Sailing down the Hudson you would see the Skyscrapers of Manhattan with the Caribbean Music blasting thru the deck speakers.

On the side, we would hear Mr. Maxton-Graham giving  us commentary while sailing down the Hudson about the buildings we are passing and also the history of sailing in the past down the Hudson.

So sorry the day of streamers are gone and seeing loved ones across to the parking lot on the roof.

No more waving so high in the sky to loved ones so low on the sidewalk.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

seeing loved ones across to the parking lot on the roof.

My first trans-Atlantic cruise was aboard the Royal Viking Sky that would be followed by a North Cape Cruise when our 10 day trans-Atlantic crossing ended in Copenhagen.  My Mother and Father traveled from Ohio and my Brother and Sister-in-Law traveled from their Maryland home to join my traveling companion for a pre-departure party on the ship.  I had ordered canapes and Champagne to be in our stateroom and celebrated the start of our cruise.  As the RVS backed out into the Hudson, there was a band playing on one of the outside decks, she whistled, my family walked down the length of the roof of Pier 88 as we sailed, waving.  One of the last photos that I took of that sailing was of my Mother, at the very end of that walkway on the Pier, waving.

Why is it that I have fond memories of so many other departures from ports?  Sailing from Honolulu to return home?  Sailing from Los Angeles to begin that specific cruise?  Each sailing that I have experienced from Sydney, Auckland, Hong Kong, Vancouver?  All remains special in my memory.  But, the most special is the first one from New York on Rotterdam V, July 27, 1970.  

I am so thankful for these memories.  

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

My first trans-Atlantic cruise was aboard the Royal Viking Sky that would be followed by a North Cape Cruise when our 10 day trans-Atlantic crossing ended in Copenhagen.  My Mother and Father traveled from Ohio and my Brother and Sister-in-Law traveled from their Maryland home to join my traveling companion for a pre-departure party on the ship.  I had ordered canapes and Champagne to be in our stateroom and celebrated the start of our cruise.  As the RVS backed out into the Hudson, there was a band playing on one of the outside decks, she whistled, my family walked down the length of the roof of Pier 88 as we sailed, waving.  One of the last photos that I took of that sailing was of my Mother, at the very end of that walkway on the Pier, waving.

Why is it that I have fond memories of so many other departures from ports?  Sailing from Honolulu to return home?  Sailing from Los Angeles to begin that specific cruise?  Each sailing that I have experienced from Sydney, Auckland, Hong Kong, Vancouver?  All remains special in my memory.  But, the most special is the first one from New York on Rotterdam V, July 27, 1970.  

I am so thankful for these memories.  

I always teared when the ship backed out and saw my parents on the pier waving and wishing they were with us which they did down the line.

Feeling the blasts from the ship's horn felt so close to the heart.

A shame elevated platforms to see loved ones depart are gone in NYC.

I remember the famous departure of Mom & Dad from the Pier 90. And about the time the ship was going to open up she stopped after heading south. From the bottom of the Pier we all cheered as a small ship left and headed to the stopped ship. Yes, a late comer boarded and headed to the open side of the ship and with bino I saw them going up a rope ladder. 

Sometime that will always encourage me to be on time.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/1/2022 at 9:54 PM, BklynBoy8 said:

A shame elevated platforms to see loved ones depart are gone in NYC.

The cruise departure actuality for guests has surely changed over the years.  The excitement that I witnessed by the guests embarking Queen Mary in 1958 for a trans-Atlantic crossing is not the same as I have witnessed in 2019-2020 during my most recent cruises.  Sitting in a terminal waiting to embark, no, there is not, there just is not the same sense of anticipation that I witnessed years ago.

Not bad, I don't think.  But, it is certainly different.  Is it because people are now more likely to not express their "feelings" about what they are going to experience?  

We sit there in our seats, waiting to be called for embarking, some chit-chat among those around us--maybe.  But, there is no obvious positive emotion.  I wonder what these people feel "inside", however.   

3 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Not bad, I don't think.  But, it is certainly different.  Is it because people are now more likely to not express their "feelings" about what they are going to experience?  

We sit there in our seats, waiting to be called for embarking, some chit-chat among those around us--maybe.  But, there is no obvious positive emotion.  I wonder what these people feel "inside", however.   

I noticed the same thing.  On my 2012 and 2013 cruises, people waiting in line to embark all talked to each other, helped with picture-taking, engaged in playful banter, and bonded, even if only briefly.  Later, I exchanged hellos when running into the people I met at embarkation.  There was a strong "us cruisers gotta stick together!" vibe going on, even if in name only.

On my 2019 cruise, people in the embarkation line mostly kept to themselves.  They were nice if you talked to them, but the bonding vibe was highly lacking. Even those who seemed to be cruising solo didn't really talk to the people around them.  It didn't ruin my cruise, since I met fun people later on, but I really wish the same embarkation vibe was still there.

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, LandlockedCruiser01 said:

On my 2019 cruise, people in the embarkation line mostly kept to themselves.  They were nice if you talked to them, but the bonding vibe was highly lacking

Why has this happened?  There has been a sociological change in America that Covid has only made worse.  

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

Why has this happened?  There has been a sociological change in America that Covid has only made worse.  

This seemed to be unique to the embarkation.  The day before, on the shuttle ride over from LAX to my hotel, I had a great conservation with a middle-aged couple I sat near.  Later that day, I had another fun conservation with two young ladies on a water bus on the way to dinner at In-N-Out Burger.  Ditto for the locals in Catalina, like the salesgirl selling Cubs merchandise.  And don't forget the piano bar I raved about in my Inspiration review.  It was like "Cheers", only better.  By Day 3, everyone there knew me!

But while waiting to embark Inspiration, the social dynamics were just meh.  No cruiser camaraderie, no poking fun at other ships, no gushing warm wishes.  Just general friendliness.

As for Covid and its social ramifications, I'm tempted to launch into a long political rant that'll get me kicked off this site!  But I'm not going to. 😉

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, LandlockedCruiser01 said:

But while waiting to embark Inspiration, the social dynamics were just meh.  No cruiser camaraderie, no poking fun at other ships, no gushing warm wishes.  Just general friendliness.

As for Covid and its social ramifications, I'm tempted to launch into a long political rant

I wish, in a way, that I could live for another 50-100 years.  Why?  I'd enjoy learning what historians, sociologists, and political scientists will have to say about this period during the 21st Century.  

9 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I wish, in a way, that I could live for another 50-100 years.  Why?  I'd enjoy learning what historians, sociologists, and political scientists will have to say about this period during the 21st Century.  

Don't get me started!  😆😉  I'll get into talking what Covid was *really* about, and name-drop all the people who were in on the whole thing.  But that'll get me kicked off this site.  So not here.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, LandlockedCruiser01 said:

Don't get me started!  😆😉  I'll get into talking what Covid was *really* about, and name-drop all the people who were in on the whole thing.  But that'll get me kicked off this site.  So not here.

I'd enjoy a conversation or more over a drink or more at the bar on a ship.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I Remember:

Skeet Shooting off the back of the ship

Shooting golf balls off the back of the ship

Paying CASH for drinks

Lighting Baked Alaska on Fire in the main dining room during the farewell dinner

Bringing Cases of Beer on board and funneling in the pool

Cruising (like Air Travel) was special and not for the mass market

The "good 'ole days"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, metla said:

Baked Alaska on Fire in the main dining room during the farewell dinner

I really do miss that as well!  There was some stirring music played over the PA during the Parade.  Maybe a classical piece from a Russian composer?  Anyone remember what that music might have been?  

11 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I really do miss that as well!  There was some stirring music played over the PA during the Parade.  Maybe a classical piece from a Russian composer?  Anyone remember what that music might have been?  

Yes, those themes were very stirring like the music played on the QE2 down the Hudson leaving NYC.

Once on the QE2 they played Prom and Circumstances on Baked night. It was so funny as if the Cooks were Graduating in the Kitchen. Everyone was laughing and applauding and stirring the Napkins in the air..I wish I videoed it...

This was in the Columbia Restaurant...

Edited by BklynBoy8
  • Like 1

On 5/13/2022 at 4:52 PM, BklynBoy8 said:

es, those themes were very stirring like the music played on the QE2 down the Hudson leaving NYC.

Once on the QE2 they played Prom and Circumstances on Baked night

I do remember that music when I was on a ship during that night.  Was it QE2?  If so, it was in the Tables of the World Restaurant.  

I have sailed on a few ships that played Andrea Bocelli's rendition of It's Time To Say Good-bye at sailaway.  

Another musical memory at sailaway took place on PFEL's Monterey when we sailed from Honolulu returning to San Francisco and Los Angeles.  The male CD and the female Assistant CD/performer sang The Hawaiian Wedding Song.  He was on the ship; she was across from the ship on the pier at Aloha Tower.  Both of them had excellent voices.  The ship's band provided the live music.  She quickly returned to the Monterey; the ship's whistle sounded her departure toots, leis and streamers began being tossed towards the pier.  It was a memorable sailaway for me.