All I wanted was an upgraded room if available

shiner6

I thought that I would put this out there for others to have.  I purchased my first HAL cruise (but not my first cruise) from a big box TA over a year ago.  I convinced family and friends to purchase through them as well.  Now, it is fully paid and HAL is running a much better promotion. I have tried to reach the bigbox on multiple attempts without success. I get a message that states "we are unable to take your call due to high volumes, try again another time" then hangs up.   I was easily able to contact Holland, but they said they were unable to help me since I purchased through the Bigbox TA and I must contact them. I explained my dilemma and frustration, but ultimately, they wouldn't budge.   I wouldn't care so much if is was just a few $$$, but the difference is over $1000.  All of my attempts to reach the Bigbox are unsuccessful. Does anyone have an email for them or other advice on how to reach them?    I guess, I am saying "Buyer beware". 

I would look at the email with your confirmation.  It may have a different number for the travel agency.  I would also try email.  I think the phrase "due to high caller volume" is not ever a valid excuse to never answer the phone.  

• Like 3

I suspect you’re talking about the big box that starts with a “C”. I also experienced that answer but tried calling at different times over two days and eventually got through to the “Q” and waited about 30 minutes on hold but did get through eventually.

• Like 2

Same here. We usually book with that big box and I received the same message when I tried to call about our upcoming cruise when I noticed that the price had dropped. When I got the "we can't take your call right now" message, I just kept calling back and eventually got put into the "hold queue." I think I was on hold for about an hour (just kept my phone on speaker mode and went about my day). It is annoying, for sure, to have to wait to long, but our cruise fair went down about $1800, so it was worth it to me. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Linguist208 said:

"Big Box TA"? Do they have a physical location? If so, go there.

You won't find a Travel Department at your local Big Box store.  It's an online company.

I would try the advice to call back often, and first thing in the morning is a good idea, too.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

And I am continually glad I never use a TA when reading something like this.

Best to book directly with the cruise line to keep control.  but I still like the "C" to shop at.

I think you are right in this!  I can understand leaving a message so they can return your call, but this  dismissing clients because of high volume is a game changer in customer dissatisfaction!

• Thanks 1

I prefer to handle my own reservations but use my sister’s agency as a courtesy.   I think things may start to return to normal when people go back to the office and the new hires can learn from the old guard.  The travel industry still has a long way to go in recovering.   This is not the year for experimentation 

• Like 1

My TA who initially bot me a great deal has been radio silent as far as email responses.  Issues like a canceled flight itinary presents issues that they cannot resolve.    Some of the IT systems push data out to others in what the tech world call "eventually consistent"  .   I realized the issue.   The TA and even HAL reps do not see it because the systems have not been told yet.  

1 hour on hold to get nom response from TA.   

1 hour on hold at HAL to get everything is ok.

Call HAL flight ease to unknowingly get forwarded to main HAL line to wait 30 minutes to get forwarded back to flight ease to wait on hold another 1  1/2 hours to get some real info and help.   I am not sure why but now i am connecting in LAX instead of DFW.   AA shows availability on original flights.   

• Like 1

Best to book directly with the cruise line to keep control.  but I still like the "C" to shop at.

I use a local TA that I can actually contact.  I'd never use the "big box" agency...there's a reason why you get a good price, and it's generally customer service!  

On our very first cruise, our flights were cancelled going home due to weather. Called my TA, and she found a hotel, and rebooked our flights.  Easy peasy, and I didn't have to worry about anything.  Best way to ruin your holiday is having to deal with problems that you don't have to.

And she always thows in something...OBC, reservations in one of the specialty restaurants, luggage tags, HAL swag...

L.

• Like 4

On 4/1/2022 at 11:11 AM, Linguist208 said:

"Big Box TA"? Do they have a physical location? If so, go there.

Exactly what I did after a week of "we cant take your call, call back" and email ("customercare") bounce back because mailbox is full. Spoke with membership manager at store who looked up the regional manager of the travel agency in her computer that they partner with and gave my number for someone to call me. Within a few hours received a call from a not so happy agent asking how he could help me. He also said with COVID everyone is short staffed and the call center cue limits the number of calls that can be put on hold. I told him the email box is full and he didn't know that email but said he would report that and gave me another email to use (I have not tested yet) as he provided what I needed on the call. I do my own research and then book with them due to the larger "credits" and member benefits and having poor service from other TAs. Even the cruise line PCCs are having issues during this time. 

• Like 3

Something similar happened to me when I used a big box that goes by E to book a cruise, I ended up canceling it anyway, but if I hadn't I didn't like that at all, not being able to use HAL customer service which has better hours was a problem.  A PCC wasn't easy to get ahold of once either, she was on her own cruise (the nerve....J/K).  

• Like 2

On 4/1/2022 at 12:34 PM, Oceansaway17 said:

If I may, the OP's problem isn't because he/she booked through a travel agent.

The problem is the type of agency used.  At the onset of the pandemic, when cruises were cancelled worldwide and customers were expecting refunds, big box companies became notorious for not answering their phones. Meanwhile traditional travel agencies were available by phone no matter what time of day to take care of their clients. There were numerous articles in the travel media about this. 

While the convenience of calling HAL directly works well for some people, others prefer a more dedicated, personal,  and responsive  kind of service that looks out for their client. For example, HAL is not going to initiate a call to you and let you know about a lower fare. 

Edited by Boatdrill
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Boatdrill said:

If I may, the problem the OP's problem isn't because he/she booked through a travel agent.

The problem is the type of agency used.  At the onset of the pandemic, when cruises were cancelled worldwide and customers were expecting their refunds, big box companies became notorious for not answering their phones. Meanwhile traditional travel agencies were available by phone no matter what time of day to take care of their clients. There were numerous articles in the travel media about this. 

I would agree that best to not use box TA.

I like to have control over reservation and enjoy the research for a trip as I am detailed person.

I get that others are not but perhaps some should try so as to be able to at least talk directly with cruise line.

and I know some agents are really good if lucky to get one

• Like 1

We’ve used the big box C agency for years. These are challenging times but we’ve been able to get through to them best by calling first thing in the a.m. at their starting hour and have had several problems solved since the pandemic. One problem they voluntarily took on, with a lot of time & effort on their part contacting HAL themselves, saved us $9200. So I’m a fan. And I worked as a cruise line sales rep & as a TA myself for years. 

Meanwhile, to the OP,  once your cruise has been paid in full, it’s not uncommon to see a fare drop. But HAL has no contractual obligation to give you the cheaper rate. Some people through the years have reported on this forum that they were able to get some OBC or an upgrade. But certainly not always. If you want big price drops close to departure, you can roll the dice and wait to make your initial booking very close to sailing date.

Edited by Caribbean Chris
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Caribbean Chris said:

Meanwhile, to the OP,  once your cruise has been paid in full, it’s not uncommon to see a fare drop. But HAL has no contractual obligation to give you the cheaper rate. Some people through the years have reported on this forum that they were able to get some OBC or an upgrade. But certainly not always. If you want big price drops close to departure, you can roll the dice and wait to make your initial booking very close to sailing date.

That's a bummer; final payment for my May 21 cruise to Alaska was last week, and now it's $300 pp less (and there are 4 of us). I was thinking of calling but I'm not sure what to ask for?

Edited by strickerj

I would agree that best to not use box TA.

I like to have control over reservation and enjoy the research for a trip as I am detailed person.

I get that others are not but perhaps some should try so as to be able to at least talk directly with cruise line.

and I know some agents are really good if lucky to get one

I do my own research and control for everything, which is why I use the big box. I have not found the amount of savings and bonuses received from any other TA beat them (even HAL direct) and I don't want to pay a TA for what I do. (Had a nightmare years ago with a National TA after I researched cabin and cruise who only had to book it for me....and booked the wrong year 😞 ). I check rates myself and have them call HAL to get lower rate if drops. (Since HAL doesn't call passengers for drops or like recently when final payment dates were extended). They are basically a call center so if you need more than that from a big box then it won't work for you but they have sat on phone for a long time trying to get HAL at times for my benefit. Also if you are looking for a cabin upgrade (which I don't), big box won't work (unless you contact them often) as HAL will go to its PCC or regular TAs to notify customers. I've had no problems talking directly to HAL (pre COVID) unless its for making payment or changes which have to go through whoever you book with.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Been there, done that.  I feel your pain.  Unbelievably frustrating.  I have finally found a wonderful agent who is worth her weight in gold. She is so good at returning my calls that one day If she ever doesn't call me back I can rest assure she's dead.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I do my own research and book my cruise directly, and then I transfer it to my local TA, who then gives me some kind of a perk (OBC, transportation to and from the terminal or something else).  I don't like giving up control, but so far, he has been very responsive.

On my next cruise, the only cabin available in my category (NS) was on the port side (and I preferred starboard).  I booked it anyway and first the HAL rep I booked it with said she would note the record I preferred the other side (I didn't hold out much hope for them doing anything) and I told my TA the same thing and said he would check periodically.  That said, I checked regularly myself, and lo and behold a few days ago one came available.  I called my TA and he switched me immediately, so it worked out.  Had he not been responsive, that would have been my last time working with him lol.

Edited by CruisinShips
  • Like 1

Good News!  MY Big box TA called me on a Sunday!  She was very helpful. We got our balcony upgraded to a Vista suite because of the new promotion.  I sent an email to both HAL and Big box on Fridayexplaining the situation and included all the numbers.

• Like 3

Like many of the responders, I do my own research checking several different sites for pricing. I make a spreadsheet with the prices and the sources. Very rarely do the websites vary in pricing by more than a few dollars.

After my research (days, weeks or even months depending how far out the cruise is), I visit my local Travel Agent (part of a large national agency) and go over the selections. He then books the cruise and whatever other necessities I want (flights, hotels, cars, etc.) that I do not feel comfortable with at the time. Sometimes I book them myself.

For our last HAL trip in December 2021, I used this system. It worked fine. I also called HAL directly on their local (206 area code) phone number several times (on their website). Never put on hold. Booked all four of my specialty dining options that way.

I will not use a Travel Agent that I cannot visit in person. Or who is not responsive to phone messages or emails.

Jim