Pre cruise Covid test for Med cruise

mackfam

It seems to vary according to which MSC site you visit!

The UK one has this for Mediterranean cruises:

All Guests (2 years old and over) need to provide a certificate of a negative Antigen or RT-PCR test taken within 48 hours before embarkation. If you embark on your cruise at 15:00 on a Saturday, you should take your COVID-19 test on the Thursday as of 15:00.

I am sailing from Marseille next Wednesday and will go for the antigen as it should be quicker to get the results.

Edited by Number34
Typo

7 hours ago, Number34 said:

All Guests (2 years old and over) need to provide a certificate of a negative Antigen or RT-PCR test taken within 48 hours before embarkation. If you embark on your cruise at 15:00 on a Saturday, you should take your COVID-19 test on the Thursday as of 15:00.

I am sailing from Marseille next Wednesday and will go for the antigen as it should be quicker to get the results.

Hi,

Yes, cannot get a straight answer from MSC, either direct or through TA. Could you report back your experience please as we are on the Seaview from Barcelona next Month. Going to book an Antigen in Barcelona as we are there for a few days before.

Thanks

David

Definitely call.   On the USA site it states the following for US Resident & Non Schengen Residents:

COVID-19 TEST REQUIREMENTS:

• All guests 2 years old and older are required to show proof of a negative RT-PCR test taken no more than 2 days before embarkation. MSC Cruises may provide additional COVID-19 testing, if necessary, at the terminal before embarkation, free of charge.
  • No pre-embarkation or embarkation testing is required for guests under 2 years of age. 

I changed a while ago because we originally booked appointments for the Rapid Antigen and then had to change them.

On 4/1/2022 at 6:17 PM, Number34 said:

It also varies when looking at the MSC for ME app. For our cruise from Genoa on April 27, the app states that either test (antigen or PCR) is acceptable (non-Schengen)  just as the UK site states. We had planned, based on this info, to do tele-monitored antigen tests because of the 48 hr window. In October, IIRCC (Seashore TA dumped its guests), MSC allowed 72 hrs for PCR and 48 for antigen. We fly out on April 25 before noon so that we will arrive the day BEFORE the cruise departs. 

I, similar to others, am interested in what is actually accepted at the port.

Edited by Rhea98
  • Like 1

I am due to go on a Canary Island cruise from Southampton on the 1 May on the Virtuosa, and I called MSC and they advised I can do a Antigen test but it must be done in lab, i.e. not one where you do it at home and send a photo to the provider. They were very clear on this, as I challenged how would they know. Obviously within 48 hours of the cruise embarkation.

Therefore I plan to go for one in Boots for £30.00, not to happy but what can you do....

This confusion (PCR/Antigen) existed ahead of the Seashore TA. However, at that time, MSC posted that telemonitored (antigen) test results were acceptable. PCR tests were only required for unvaccinated cruisers, and the timeframe was 72 hours. Antigen timeframe was 48 hr.

I do understand the fluid nature of the requirements so that the only fact I can count on at this time is that MSC publishes/emails/ speaks conflicting information. I will be happy to grab a $75 (x2) antigen test at MCO or DTW. I will not be happy to pay $175 (x2) for a PCR. 

• Like 1

I am finding the Covid regulations regards travelling very confusing. As I posted earlier I have been following MSC advice so before travelling to Marseille from Uk I made sure I had all the proof of vaccinations,EUdigital  PLF and other declarations that were required according to MSC. At Heathrow nothing was checked and on arrival at Marseille French immigration just stamped my passport!

I will still do antigen tests tomorrow but it seems to me that MSC are being extremely cautious and appear to be behind the curve when it comes to conforming with local regulations.

Except that we were flying AA/BA so used the Verifly app, it was similar for us going from US to Rome in Dec. Two flight arrivals were going through immigration when we arrived. Many people had to pull out papers and spend 15 minutes at the windows. All they wanted from us were our passports. The app info may have precluded additional checks. I had paper copies of EVERYTHING and carried vaccination cards with our passports. I'll do the same this time minus an app as Delta says our flight doesn't qualify for their app. It did appear that NCL presented straightforward, unified info for what they expected. If the MSC app still shows antigen test before we leave, I'm going for that and taking a time-stamp photo of the app should there be an issue.

Enjoy your cruise!

Second day in Marseille so within the 48 hours to take an antigen test. Pharmacy next door to our hotel. Walked in at 11.25, paid 33€, had test (swab up one nostril - went up a long way!), and at 11.47 left with two dated and timed negative test certificates. Very straightforward and I would expect similsr service in other embarkation ports for Mediterranean cruises.

• Like 1

On 4/6/2022 at 7:00 AM, Wiggster said:

I am due to go on a Canary Island cruise from Southampton on the 1 May on the Virtuosa, and I called MSC and they advised I can do a Antigen test but it must be done in lab, i.e. not one where you do it at home and send a photo to the provider. They were very clear on this, as I challenged how would they know. Obviously within 48 hours of the cruise embarkation.

Therefore I plan to go for one in Boots for £30.00, not to happy but what can you do....

We are on the cruise after you on 13th May. Someone on the FB group has actually posted this morning their written reply from MSC stating that we can do the certified self test. We're planning on doing the at home Lloyds tests and will take a copy of the reply just in case.

• Like 1

For any other US citizens reading, I just clipped this from the Grandiosa FB page 21 hrs ago--"depends where you are coming from. US residents need a PCR. I’m a US passport holder but live in Germany. We had antigen tests and were twice questioned for a PCR. When I explained that we live in Germany and showed proof they let us through."

• Like 1

Just found this on msccruisesusa:

image.thumb.png.b255205a4589e57842640174857a1529.png

Lost 12 hours of pre-testing time, but at least the tele-monitored test should be a go now. The app still doesn't give the shorter timeframe. Our cruise departs 27/04.

Edited by Rhea98
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Rhea98 said:

Just found this on msccruisesusa:

image.thumb.png.b255205a4589e57842640174857a1529.png

Lost 12 hours of pre-testing time, but at least the tele-monitored test should be a go now. The app still doesn't give the shorter timeframe. Our cruise departs 27/04.

I'm on a Northern Europe trip in May, and so far the web sight still says PCR test for that.  Hope it's just taking some time to update their various pages.  

2 hours ago, lets-cruz said:

I'm on a Northern Europe trip in May, and so far the web sight still says PCR test for that.  Hope it's just taking some time to update their various pages.  

My recommendation is to also check the UK website, which seems to be more updated/accurate compared to the US one, and then to check with customer services.   There was another thread where someone was denied boarding in Barcelona because of inaccurate information on the US website.

On the UK website an antigen test is also accepted for Northern Europe cruise:

https://www.msccruises.co.uk/health-and-safety-measures

I've taken 5 [short] Mediterranean cruises in 2021 and 2 this year on MSC, and for all of them took an antigen test before boarding (including some video monitored tests).

3 hours ago, 8420PR said:

My recommendation is to also check the UK website, which seems to be more updated/accurate compared to the US one, and then to check with customer services.   There was another thread where someone was denied boarding in Barcelona because of inaccurate information on the US website.

On the UK website an antigen test is also accepted for Northern Europe cruise:

https://www.msccruises.co.uk/health-and-safety-measures

I've taken 5 [short] Mediterranean cruises in 2021 and 2 this year on MSC, and for all of them took an antigen test before boarding (including some video monitored tests).

Are you from the US/non-Schengen area? I was sent to the UK site accidentally where I saw the antigen was acceptable--within 48 hrs. We have the 14 day Northern Europe cruise after the Grandiosa repo--on Grandiosa. I didn't even check the N E site. (particularly confusing as both Denmark and Norway have lifted ALL travel restrictions for ALL visitors) I don't know what will be required test-wise when we get to Copenhagen. This is typical MSC on the front end.

I will be calling next week either to cancel our cruises (possible issue at home) or to try to get clarifiction on all this. 

Am now on Seaview. Vaccination docs and 48 hour antigen tests checked and the  questionnaire collected. No check on insurance. Temperature checked and also a lateral flow test done. Latter very quick. Quite efficient, 30 minutes from arrival to having coffee in YC lounge. Masks being worn unless eating etc.

Since OP is from Canada -- just check on the msc canada website and it will tell you what you are required to do to get on the ship.  Don't forget they also want insurance coverage.

I am hoping things will change for my Med cruise in Dec because the timing is hard, especially with the time difference.  For instance, when do they count the 48 hours?  If my cruise out of Barcelona is at 6pm Friday, what is 48 hours in Toronto?  Because 6pm in Barcelona is really 12 pm Toronto -- so do I pick that as the start time for the 48 hours???  I seriously don't know what the difference of 2 days before the cruise vs exactly 48 hours before the cruise.

5 hours ago, Number34 said:

Am now on Seaview. Vaccination docs and 48 hour antigen tests checked and the  questionnaire collected. No check on insurance. Temperature checked and also a lateral flow test done. Latter very quick. Quite efficient, 30 minutes from arrival to having coffee in YC lounge. Masks being worn unless eating etc.

Good to know! Sailing in under 4 weeks from Barcelona in Y.C. 

Hope we are as quick boarding as you 😁

6 hours ago, xcell said:

Since OP is from Canada -- just check on the msc canada website and it will tell you what you are required to do to get on the ship.  Don't forget they also want insurance coverage.

I am hoping things will change for my Med cruise in Dec because the timing is hard, especially with the time difference.  For instance, when do they count the 48 hours?  If my cruise out of Barcelona is at 6pm Friday, what is 48 hours in Toronto?  Because 6pm in Barcelona is really 12 pm Toronto -- so do I pick that as the start time for the 48 hours???  I seriously don't know what the difference of 2 days before the cruise vs exactly 48 hours before the cruise.

You use Barcelona time. I've also read that it's based on when you actually check in. Nice, eh? If you check in at noon on Friday, Barcelona time, then test at noon or later (Barcelona time) on Wednesday. In any case, it really may be totally different by Dec. I'm scheduled to sail from Genoa then from Copenhagen 27/04, and it's (what's printed on the USA website) changed at least three times this past week. The app's link info has remained steady for US sailings in Med and Northern Europe

On 4/9/2022 at 4:53 PM, Rhea98 said:

You use Barcelona time. I've also read that it's based on when you actually check in. Nice, eh? If you check in at noon on Friday, Barcelona time, then test at noon or later (Barcelona time) on Wednesday. In any case, it really may be totally different by Dec. I'm scheduled to sail from Genoa then from Copenhagen 27/04, and it's (what's printed on the USA website) changed at least three times this past week. The app's link info has remained steady for US sailings in Med and Northern Europe

I am wondering if the gate agents will really do the math. 

Meaning, if I use Barcelona time, let's say 6pm departure on a Saturday...so I have to take the test after 6pm on a Thursday. 6pm Barcelona is 12 pm Toronto time, so do they account for time differences? To be safe, I get the test beyond 6pm Toronto time.

@kernowHi, do you have a copy of this letter that you could send me, I have been on the MSC FB page and I could not locate it?

People on Facebook advised they had used Randox service for £11.00 including certificate and that would be ideal but don't want to get to Terminal and be refused boarding :classic_sad:.

Many thanks 

Ian

41 minutes ago, Wiggster said:

@kernowHi, do you have a copy of this letter that you could send me, I have been on the MSC FB page and I could not locate it?

People on Facebook advised they had used Randox service for £11.00 including certificate and that would be ideal but don't want to get to Terminal and be refused boarding :classic_sad:.

Many thanks 

Ian

Because of all the confusion on this, yesterday I emailed the office of Antonio Paradiso (UK managing director of MSC) and I got the following reply. Please note I specifically asked about cruises from Southampton for UK cruisers so that is who it relates to.

Dear............

Firstly I apologise for the confusion caused, in my experience the context of the question asked can result in a combination of answers.  Without knowing what has been asked it is difficult to comment.

Nonetheless I would like to clarify

Antigen test are accepted IF certified by a lab (such as those sold as 'fit to fly' by Randox, Lloyds, Boots etc) – these are tests that you conduct at home.

What is not accepted is an NHS antigen test that is not certified (also conducted at home).

Thank you for bringing this to our attention and we will make sure that additional training is given to all our agents to avoid further confusion

Kindest Regards

Paula Power

Customer Service Supervisor

• Like 1

Wow, Many thanks for this @kernowit is so appreciated, that is brilliant, I wish they could all be that clear 🙂

Does anyone know if I book with Randox if I can use the standard Certifly app I already have or do I need to use the Randox branded Certifly app?

Many thanks once again and happy travels.

Ian