Live On-Board Iona G208

DamianG

5 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Exactly. What matters is what each individual enjoys - forget the ‘rules’. Drink wine at whatever temperature suits, and whichever colour suits. Just avoid the blue wines, particularly nun.

Was there a 'blind' Which wine testing some time ago which showed that without seeing the bottle or the wine the 'experts' had difficulty in determining the colour of the wine 😉

Ask the French what glass to drink wine out of - answer - one with the hole in the top not the bottom 😁

Or the Glass House wine man on Ventura who took a posh bottle of bubbly home for their wedding anniversary. After the meal he asked her if she liked it. OK, she said but I prefer Asti Spumante. 😱

Olly Smith was asked what is good wine at a reasonable price - The answer was this year the Co-Op, their buying team have made good choices. Needless to say when I got home they had sold out 😟

• Like 2

3 hours ago, brian1 said:

On Marella we just paid the supplement for the bottled mixers and still got the spirits in the package.Perhaps Damian might know if this is possible on P&O,cheers,Brian.

The gin & whisky bar, my liver was sending alarms to my brain half way through the cruise. Plenty of good quality booze and fever tree tonic. The premium drinks package on Marella is apparently currently £60 per week 😲

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jonesthecat said:

I feel more prepared for boarding Iona for my first ever cruise now next week thanks to this. 

Prepare to be addicted!!!😆Enjoy every minute.

MY OH wasn't keen to cruise...now I couldn't stop him.

Many thanks Damian

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, davecttr said:

The gin & whisky bar, my liver was sending alarms to my brain half way through the cruise. Plenty of good quality booze and fever tree tonic. The premium drinks package on Marella is apparently currently £60 per week 😲

Now, I like nice wines (not Blue Nun) and a 1 or 2 JD's😉 when on a cruise, but if I bought a drinks package I would be in my cabin, flat on my back in an alcoholic coma for a fortnight😵

Avril

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

13 hours ago, brian1 said:

On Marella we just paid the supplement for the bottled mixers and still got the spirits in the package. Perhaps Damian might know if this is possible on P&O,cheers,Brian.

Sounds like a good idea, plus when you've got the Ultimate Drinks Package you get 20% off any drink not included so I would have thought that this would apply to the tonics.

The Drinks Package is clearly an emotive subject so here's a little more on how it worked for us this time but is unlikely to work for our future cruises.

Normally we maximise our time ashore, especially in the Mediterranean or Canaries where we'll have lunch somewhere (ashore) with a bottle of wine costing €10/€12 or thereabouts. That would be it for our daytime drinking generally. Then we'd sometimes have a pre-dinner drink (but not always), wine with our meal then a drink or 2 post-dinner. Getting ashore early would usually mean that we wouldn't be having leisurely coffees or teas in Vistas.

This time we knew that we would not be eating ashore so we'd have a glass of wine with our onboard lunch, 2 or 3 glasses out and about around the ship in the afternoon, a pre-dinner Prosecco in the cabin, a glass of wine with dinner and a post-dinner drink. 

The wines we drank ranged from £5.50 to £6.95 but there weren't many at the top price (Albarino was £6.95 but excluded which was frustrating for me) so let's average a glass at the lower end, say £6.00. If we had 6 glasses of wine from lunchtime to bedtime that's £36.00 x 2 which comes to £72 per day, which is what we ended up paying after OBC and Peninsular Club 10% discount was applied. Some days we didn't have 6 glasses and on Thursday I think we had more.

Where we benefited is with Kyle's soft drinks, teas and coffees from Vistas, lots of bottled water (though there are water filling stations around the ship), and taking the opportunity to try some after dinner liqueurs, most of which we didn't like anyway.

We weren't hell bent on getting our money's worth, but we did without trying trying too hard or getting sozzled each day. Having tried it, I can understand why families get the drinks packages and stay on the ship, using it as the resort, in places like Civitavecchia or Livorno. We're the opposite and love those ports where there are things to do with kids if you do your research.

Ultimately it's an individual decision for everyone, priced at a tipping point that only each passenger can work out for themself.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

Now, I like nice wines (not Blue Nun) and a 1 or 2 JD's😉 when on a cruise, but if I bought a drinks package I would be in my cabin, flat on my back in an alcoholic coma for a fortnight😵

Avril

Avoid Marella then, the basic drinks package which is pretty good is part of the fare, and the spirit measure is 40ml, not 25ml 🥳

• Like 2

11 hours ago, davecttr said:

Was there a 'blind' Which wine testing some time ago which showed that without seeing the bottle or the wine the 'experts' had difficulty in determining the colour of the wine 😉

Ask the French what glass to drink wine out of - answer - one with the hole in the top not the bottom 😁

Or the Glass House wine man on Ventura who took a posh bottle of bubbly home for their wedding anniversary. After the meal he asked her if she liked it. OK, she said but I prefer Asti Spumante. 😱

Olly Smith was asked what is good wine at a reasonable price - The answer was this year the Co-Op, their buying team have made good choices. Needless to say when I got home they had sold out 😟

We had Olly Smith on a cruise - we went to a vineyard with him in Vigo - one of the first things he said was he didn’t think you had to drink white wine with white meat and red with red meat - you should have what you like. I immediately liked him!

• Like 7

Damien, many thanks for your informative blog. We are on the Iona to the Norwegian Fjords later this summer. 

We are newbies to P&O ourselves so were particularly interested on your comments regarding your experience of the drinks package.  I think we will likely check out the bar prices on our first evening and then decide whether to take the package from Day 2. 

We are just 2 Adults with no member discount, so our decision will be based on the value of the package vs paying separately for having a few beers and spirit drinks outside of the restaurants and then having wines with our meals. It looks as though the break even would be roughly 7 alcoholic drinks each per day (not including any coffees and water taken). Does this sound right? 

I will be keen to understand the limitations on range of spirits and cocktails available on the package too, but expect I will need to look at some of the menus being posted online. 

Also, is it correct that some of the bars do not serve pints of beer, so taking a bottle of beer is the only option? 

thanks 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LoveGlasto said:

Damien, many thanks for your informative blog. We are on the Iona to the Norwegian Fjords later this summer. 

We are newbies to P&O ourselves so were particularly interested on your comments regarding your experience of the drinks package.  I think we will likely check out the bar prices on our first evening and then decide whether to take the package from Day 2. 

We are just 2 Adults with no member discount, so our decision will be based on the value of the package vs paying separately for having a few beers and spirit drinks outside of the restaurants and then having wines with our meals. It looks as though the break even would be roughly 7 alcoholic drinks each per day (not including any coffees and water taken). Does this sound right? 

I will be keen to understand the limitations on range of spirits and cocktails available on the package too, but expect I will need to look at some of the menus being posted online. 

Also, is it correct that some of the bars do not serve pints of beer, so taking a bottle of beer is the only option? 

thanks 

As well as looking at the prices, do look carefully at all the restrictions. Whilst we don’t drink enough in total to make the package even remotely cost effective, much of what we do drink is excluded. For example, we tend to have a double measure of spirits (you can only have single), Premium tonics (you can only have the basic ones) and large glasses of wine (I don’t think you can have 250ml glasses). When we fancy a drink we like to order what we want, not what we are ‘allowed’!

From all the feedback over the time since the packages were introduced, the general consensus seems to be that the top flight package only seems to be worthwhile if you have kids (who get the soft drinks package included free when the adults have the premium package), you use the on board Costa Coffee regularly (we never do), all adults like a good few drinks each day (all adults must have the package) and you don’t have a port intensive itinerary (you will drink less on port days as you are off the ship during much of the day). 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

As well as looking at the prices, do look carefully at all the restrictions. Whilst we don’t drink enough in total to make the package even remotely cost effective, much of what we do drink is excluded. For example, we tend to have a double measure of spirits (you can only have single), Premium tonics (you can only have the basic ones) and large glasses of wine (I don’t think you can have 250ml glasses). When we fancy a drink we like to order what we want, not what we are ‘allowed’!

From all the feedback over the time since the packages were introduced, the general consensus seems to be that the top flight package only seems to be worthwhile if you have kids (who get the soft drinks package included free when the adults have the premium package), you use the on board Costa Coffee regularly (we never do), all adults like a good few drinks each day (all adults must have the package) and you don’t have a port intensive itinerary (you will drink less on port days as you are off the ship during much of the day). 

It works fine for me as I travel alone and fit the description in the last paragraph although its 5-6 alcoholic drinks. There are restrictions but some staff will help you 'manage' that eg large wine put through as 2 separate small ones but you can not rely on that. However if Peller Ice gets too expensive for the package then the package will be of no further interest to me its already stretching it as Peller was only available in the Glass House. I think my shriek of amazement had everyone staring when they told me that in Epicurean and worse still they were not allowed to go and get it.

2 minutes ago, ccpm said:

It works fine for me as I travel alone and fit the description in the last paragraph although its 5-6 alcoholic drinks. There are restrictions but some staff will help you 'manage' that eg large wine put through as 2 separate small ones but you can not rely on that. However if Peller Ice gets too expensive for the package then the package will be of no further interest to me its already stretching it as Peller was only available in the Glass House. I think my shriek of amazement had everyone staring when they told me that in Epicurean and worse still they were not allowed to go and get it.

We love Peller Ice Cuvée as well. In fact, when we board a P&O cruise ship we head straight to the Glass House and have a lovely quiet lunch with a bottle of Ice Cuvée to kick the cruise off. As nobody realises that it’s open (including the staff who direct everyone to the buffet) we are often the only customers in there. Oops. Just realised that I’ve let the secret out!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Jonesthecat said:

Damien, can I ask, were you required to wear masks when on board? Many thanks-or to anyone else who knows the answer. 

P&O lifted the mask wearing requirements a week before we sailed, so no, they were not required except for when boarding or disembarking (i.e. on the gangways or in the terminals). 

Someone on P&O's Facebook pages played hell about this and there was a long online thread arguing about it. Plenty of passengers still chose to wear masks onboard but we didn't, even though we still wear masks at home when in shops, or on public transport etc. As soon as we were onboard and had been to the muster station we sat down to eat and after that we felt comfortable enough to not wear masks around the ship. I never saw any arguments about it either way.

As an aside, I always had my mobile phone with me onboard and on Sunday I got a test and trace notification about being in close contact on Friday with someone who has now tested positive. We didn't ever sit with anyone else and the crew all wore masks all the time so there is no way of knowing when or how this happened, though my wife thinks that it was a lady sat about 5 metres away from us in the Glass House who was coughing a lot.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, LoveGlasto said:

thanks 

Yes, I'd say 7 alcoholic drinks per day approximately but bear in mind a pint of beer (around £5 I think) is cheaper than a £6.95 glass of wine so it is very much dependent on what you are drinking. Without discounts or children and taking into account the restrictions I think you'd have to go some to top £80 per day but only you can decide. Checking your first afternoon/evening spend before making your decision is a very sensible idea.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

Excellent summary.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, DamianG said:

P&O lifted the mask wearing requirements a week before we sailed, so no, they were not required except for when boarding or disembarking (i.e. on the gangways or in the terminals). 

Someone on P&O's Facebook pages played hell about this and there was a long online thread arguing about it. Plenty of passengers still chose to wear masks onboard but we didn't, even though we still wear masks at home when in shops, or on public transport etc. As soon as we were onboard and had been to the muster station we sat down to eat and after that we felt comfortable enough to not wear masks around the ship. I never saw any arguments about it either way.

As an aside, I always had my mobile phone with me onboard and on Sunday I got a test and trace notification about being in close contact on Friday with someone who has now tested positive. We didn't ever sit with anyone else and the crew all wore masks all the time so there is no way of knowing when or how this happened, though my wife thinks that it was a lady sat about 5 metres away from us in the Glass House who was coughing a lot.

What's the current testing requirements for getting onboard?

1 minute ago, AuroraCruiser08 said:

What's the current testing requirements for getting onboard?

Adults are required to have a lateral flow test in the terminal then wait for your all clear message via text before going through the boarding process. I cannot advise you how long this was taking on average as we had an issue with our son's pre-booked PCR test which didn't come through (children not fully vaccinated need this) so we had to wait around for another in the terminal. We finally got onboard 3 hours after arriving.

2 hours ago, LoveGlasto said:

I think we will likely check out the bar prices on our first evening and then decide whether to take the package from Day 2. 

We are also debating the package, or just spending on higher cost / better quality drinks and seeing how that goes. Agree a good idea to wait until day 2 to see how the first night compares 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DamianG said:

Adults are required to have a lateral flow test in the terminal then wait for your all clear message via text before going through the boarding process. I cannot advise you how long this was taking on average as we had an issue with our son's pre-booked PCR test which didn't come through (children not fully vaccinated need this) so we had to wait around for another in the terminal. We finally got onboard 3 hours after arriving.

Hi , Thanks for the great post Damian.

We were on the same cruise and had a great time.   

With regards to the testing it took around 20-25 mins from the time we started to queue to getting the test done. Its all a bit chaotic but not as bad as it first appears. No social distancing in the queues and quite a confined space to put hundreds passengers ,So if anyone did have Covid in the queue then it had plenty of chance to spread before testing . We left the car with CPS around 12:15 and were onboard by 1:15. 

As for mask wearing we also felt comfortable not wearing masks . There was some confusion when we first boarded as some of the ships crew thought they were still required. As Damian said some wore masks but most didn't . We did wear ours in lifts if sharing with others who wore them just more out of courtesy than anything else. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1