Star-Barcelona boarding

andy1fsufan

OP-

as I said-  safe travels....Europe by rail is great too. You will have way more flexibility to see and enjoy what you want .    Hopefully you wont run into any snags crossing boarders.

I'd be interested to know how your travel insurance treats you in all of this

So NCL Escape runs aground in the Dominican Republic. All passengers enjoyed a partial cruise with the inconvenience of flying back to Orlando, but had their trip refunded and got another FCC given to them.  NCL told us we just get a FCC.  No help for our flights home or housing.  Some guest chose to pay over $2500 each person for one way flight back to NYC.    I did my research and have the guidelines provided to me from NCL prior to them updating their new policy holding (you) accountable for knowing all the ports requirements.  NCL needs to “step up” and do the right thing.

4 minutes ago, andy1fsufan said:

So NCL Escape runs aground in the Dominican Republic. All passengers enjoyed a partial cruise with the inconvenience of flying back to Orlando, but had their trip refunded and got another FCC given to them.  NCL told us we just get a FCC.  No help for our flights home or housing.  Some guest chose to pay over $2500 each person for one way flight back to NYC.    I did my research and have the guidelines provided to me from NCL prior to them updating their new policy holding (you) accountable for knowing all the ports requirements.  NCL needs to “step up” and do the right thing.

The guidance about knowing port requirements has been there for a while. We got an email on the 14th March that includes everything that was in the letter you shared earlier, and I'm almost certain that the wording had been on their website for a while before that.

3 hours ago, KeithJenner said:

Does the 270 day limit apply to boosters as well. I have read that, at least in some places, it only applies to the first and second doses.

Many countries, including most of Europe I believe, are still only offering one booster, so they would be setting a limit that is impossible for many people to hit if the expiry does apply to boosters. Our booster will be 270 days old in September, and I don't expect us to be offered another one until later in the year than that.

Currently if fully vaccinated + boostered there is no time limit in the EU.  But obviously this can always change so constant checking of the rules is essential when travelling.

I've just made an appointment for a second booster as they are being rolled out now for the over 60's in the Netherlands.

We have a transatlantic cruise booked departing from Copenhagen in June. Just one stop in Ponta Delgado, Portugal en route to Port Canaveral, FL. We are fully vaccinated and have had the booster. I had the Johnson&Johnson vaccine, which is just one vaccine. I had the Moderna booster. I am hoping that Europe recognizes that the single dose of J & J is considered to be “fully vaccinated “.  

My husband had the 2-dose Pfizer vaccine and Pfizer booster. I am concerned that my one dose J &J vaccine will not be seen as “fully vaccinated “.  Wondering if I should try to get a second booster before June. 

I'm disappointed in NCL for not doing more for those impacted. Sure, it's generous that they're offering FCC, but wouldn't it have been nice of NCL to assist with flight arrangements at the non-public rates that NCL has access to, even if the passengers paid for the tickets?  It's not like NCL air promos are NCL buying tickets at rates available to the general public.  If the ship had a mechanical issue and the sailing was cancelled in Barcelona, NCL would have to rebook the air for all those using NCL air, so obviously they can book last minute.  It sounds like we're not even talking 100 people in this case.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, andy1fsufan said:

514A35C5-36B2-4D4B-A8B8-216E62025F46.jpeg

Thanks for sharing the letter, @andy1fsufan.

I'm sorry so many people had such a rough time. 

I've shared this with the 30 guests on our upcoming wedding cruise on Epic in the Med. I'm pretty sure all of us are boosted recently, but will be a kick up the arse for those that aren't. 

3 hours ago, bluesea777 said:

We're going on the Star's Iceland/Greenland cruise in July. I have read and known that certain European countries (including Iceland) require people to be vaccinated or boostered no more than 270 days ago ...

Are you certain? According to this article, Iceland is one of several countries getting rid of all requirements for entry. Thus welcoming the unvaccinated and no longer requiring tests.

https://www.travelandleisure.com/travel-news/iceland-drops-covid-travel-restrictions

"Iceland will lift all COVID-19 restrictions this week, including all border-related travel restrictions, becoming the latest country to do away with pandemic-era protocols.

Starting Friday, Iceland will no longer require travelers to show proof of a negative COVID-19 test to enter the country, according to the Ministry of Health and Ministry for Foreign Affairs. The country will also welcome both vaccinated and unvaccinated travelers."

5 hours ago, pcrum said:

We have a transatlantic cruise booked departing from Copenhagen in June. Just one stop in Ponta Delgado, Portugal en route to Port Canaveral, FL. We are fully vaccinated and have had the booster. I had the Johnson&Johnson vaccine, which is just one vaccine. I had the Moderna booster. I am hoping that Europe recognizes that the single dose of J & J is considered to be “fully vaccinated “.  

My husband had the 2-dose Pfizer vaccine and Pfizer booster. I am concerned that my one dose J &J vaccine will not be seen as “fully vaccinated “.  Wondering if I should try to get a second booster before June. 

Denmark and Azores would accept you. The only potential problem is that the cruise line agent might misunderstand the rules and deny you boarding. This is actually common with flights, it is the airline that you have to worry about more than the actual immigration officers. So your status is good and should be accepted. But there is always the possibility agent at pier misunderstands the requirements. I would say it is rather unlikely with your case, as you meet the requirements. But if you would probably get a second jab anyways, then it certainly won't hurt. But yeah, you are in accordance with the rules as of now.

7 hours ago, pcrum said:

You are absolutely considered as "fully vaccinated" in Europe with one shot of the J&J vaccine plus one booster. 

11 minutes ago, ChC said:

That is correct. As we speak:

Travelling to Ireland

From Sunday 6 March 2022, travellers to Ireland are not required to show proof of vaccination, proof of recovery or a negative PCR test result upon arrival.

There are no post-arrival testing or quarantine requirements for travellers to Ireland.

Any individual that develops COVID-19 symptoms while in Ireland should follow the HSE guidance in relation to isolation and undertaking antigen or PCR testing as appropriate.

gov.ie - Current rules for travelling to Ireland (www.gov.ie)

But do check every few weeks as it may change.

That is for Ireland. The post you were quoting was discussing Iceland.

At the end of the day they knew the rules - if you want to cruise you need to be vaccinated. It's been black and white for the last 12 months or so. 

They chose to ignore the rules, so of course they were denied boarding. 

It's a simple public health measure, it's for their safety as well as everyone else's. 

• Like 5

I could travel for work internationally at any moment, but I have the J&J vaccine. I got boosted back when canada was saying that it would prefer a booster when you have the J&J vaccine. Not trying to add fuel to the fire, but I stay up to date with international law and not wait for airlines, my company, or any third party to say what is needed. Everything i have seen when it comes to J&J is that you need a booster as well to be considered fully vaccinated for a lot of countries. And I have seen for weeks, people in here talking about needed to receive any vaccine 14 days prior to the cruise, I automatically think that the booster is needed to be done 14 days as well as no one wants someone with a fever on a ship or an office for that matter.

It’s unfortunate for sure, but the ever changing rules by country is exactly why I didnt opt for an EU trip, and am going on an Alaskan cruise in May. 

On 4/4/2022 at 6:52 PM, TheGinBoy said:

At the end of the day they knew the rules - if you want to cruise you need to be vaccinated. It's been black and white for the last 12 months or so. 

They chose to ignore the rules, so of course they were denied boarding. 

It's a simple public health measure, it's for their safety as well as everyone else's. 

We followed the rules.  They EU changed the requirement 2 days prior to sailing.  Even those with booster shots got denied.  An NCL spokesperson even stated we did nothing wrong and it’s on video of  her telling us that. Look up NCL stranded in Barcelona on a Facebook we created.  We also tested negative with their own covid test at the port.   Also, some of us travelled to Italy by plane after being denied by NCL and me and my wife are in Naples.   I guess cruising is more dangerous than being a pack plane? But, it’s all black and white to you.  

23 minutes ago, andy1fsufan said:

We followed the rules.  They EU changed the requirement 2 days prior to sailing.  Even those with booster shots got denied.  An NCL spokesperson even stated we did nothing wrong and it’s on video of  her telling us that. Look up NCL stranded in Barcelona on a Facebook we created.  We also tested negative with their own covid test at the port.   Also, some of us travelled to Italy by plane after being denied by NCL and me and my wife are in Naples.   I guess cruising is more dangerous than being a pack plane? But, it’s all black and white to you.  

Feb 1 according to this.

Spain to Require Booster Shots For U.S. Visitors - Cruise Radio - Daily Updates On The Cruise Industry

• Like 1

Just now, julig22 said:

Yes, one of the inconsistencies that I have seen is the claim that NCL changed things a couple of days ago. There has been reference to the booster requirement on their website, and included in emails I have received for some time before that.

26 minutes ago, andy1fsufan said:

We both are fully vaccinated, just no booster shot. So we are not fully fully fully vaccinated with all the boosters.  

That’s the only reason why you couldn’t board. This has been in NCL’s documentation for some time. All the complaining about Spain or the EU changing its rules at the last minute has nothing to do with it, as evidenced by how the significant majority people were able to successfully board the ship with no problem.

That having been said, I agree that NCL overreacted, especially since you tested negative at the pier. But as I noted before, NCL is not nimble enough to make exceptions to their very clearly stated policy. Either you follow it and are safer, or you ignore it and you’re refused boarding. It’s not necessarily fair, but that’s why people buy travel insurance.

On 4/4/2022 at 12:17 AM, geleisen said:

Denmark and Azores would accept you. The only potential problem is that the cruise line agent might misunderstand the rules and deny you boarding. This is actually common with flights, it is the airline that you have to worry about more than the actual immigration officers. So your status is good and should be accepted. But there is always the possibility agent at pier misunderstands the requirements. I would say it is rather unlikely with your case, as you meet the requirements. But if you would probably get a second jab anyways, then it certainly won't hurt. But yeah, you are in accordance with the rules as of now.

Thank you. Yes, I think I will get a second booster just to be safe. 

On 4/3/2022 at 6:06 AM, KeithJenner said:

But these people are already in Spain and now they are leaving there. Surely any Spanish booster requirement would have been an issue for them when they flew in, not when they leave?

Don't get caught about the booster. My wife and I were in the group. We had 2 doses of Moderna,  received in March of 2021, had a PCR test 3 days prior indicating NEGATIVE and had received the Booster on March 31st 2022. The reason we were rejected along with people who had no booster was because our booster was not received earlier than 12 days. I think the Booster didn't fall into the 12 day rule and the dweeb checking us in made a mistake.

12 minutes ago, RichardRahl said:

That’s the only reason why you couldn’t board. This has been in NCL’s documentation for some time. All the complaining about Spain or the EU changing its rules at the last minute has nothing to do with it, as evidenced by how the significant majority people were able to successfully board the ship with no problem.

That having been said, I agree that NCL overreacted, especially since you tested negative at the pier. But as I noted before, NCL is not nimble enough to make exceptions to their very clearly stated policy. Either you follow it and are safer, or you ignore it and you’re refused boarding. It’s not necessarily fair, but that’s why people buy travel insurance.

On 4/3/2022 at 5:13 AM, andy1fsufan said:

Just made it to check in on NCL Star leaving from Barcelona. We had this trip planned over a year out.  We sent NCL our vaccination cards and we thought we complied with all the requirements. Well, after check in at the port, we are in a large group of passengers who are waiting from a “higher” authority at NCL since we do not have the booster shots within the last 9 months! *****?  Told to wait patiently as they figure it out. No time frame, just wait! Some irate passengers have been waiting for hours.  This “process” is before we can even go upstairs to get their PCR test!  But, I did get 4 messages from NCL to watch the fire drill video on YouTube for a smooth check in process.  

So in short, we can fly to Spain with our vaccines, fly back to the U.S. with the same vaccine cards after testing negative, but to get on the NCL Star in Barcelona for a 10 crews, we’ll so far that’s beyond their control???? A lot more irate people are checking in as I type this.  

We were

9 minutes ago, Speirsdr said:

I think the Dweeb checking us in got it wrong, but we were told the reason we were denied was because the booster didn't comply with the 12 day rule.

The “dweeb” checking you in was following clear company policy; he didn’t get anything wrong. It was not his fault that you and andy1sfufan weren’t allowed to board the ship.

While an inflexible policy doesn’t make people happy who don’t follow the guidance, it does make people safe. (Maybe not safer, but safe.)

Edited by RichardRahl
typo (“is” instead of “it”)

Just now, RichardRahl said:

The “dweeb” checking you in was following clear company policy; he didn’t get anything wrong. It was not his fault that you and andy1sfufan weren’t allowed to board the ship.

While an inflexible policy doesn’t make people happy who don’t follow the guidance, is does make people safe. (Maybe not safer, but safe.)