Star-Barcelona boarding

andy1fsufan

Just made it to check in on NCL Star leaving from Barcelona. We had this trip planned over a year out.  We sent NCL our vaccination cards and we thought we complied with all the requirements. Well, after check in at the port, we are in a large group of passengers who are waiting from a “higher” authority at NCL since we do not have the booster shots within the last 9 months! *****?  Told to wait patiently as they figure it out. No time frame, just wait! Some irate passengers have been waiting for hours.  This “process” is before we can even go upstairs to get their PCR test!  But, I did get 4 messages from NCL to watch the fire drill video on YouTube for a smooth check in process.  

So in short, we can fly to Spain with our vaccines, fly back to the U.S. with the same vaccine cards after testing negative, but to get on the NCL Star in Barcelona for a 10 crews, we’ll so far that’s beyond their control???? A lot more irate people are checking in as I type this.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SomewhereGirl said:

That's awful.  Where are you sailing to?  Did NCL not provide people on your sailing with any more specific requirements than what's on the website?

They will be visiting Italy, which I suspect could be the problem.

Actually, I think they are sailing to Venice, so it isn't as if people can just select not to get off the ship.

Edited by KeithJenner

5 minutes ago, ronheg said:

The booster requirement is from spain.  They have a spike in covid cases.

But these people are already in Spain and now they are leaving there. Surely any Spanish booster requirement would have been an issue for them when they flew in, not when they leave?

Edited by KeithJenner

12 minutes ago, ronheg said:

The booster requirement is from spain.  They have a spike in covid cases.

But the OP is already in Spain, at the cruise terminal, in fact.

As @KeithJennersays, it’s for Italy. The Star is stopping in 4 Italian ports and ending up in Trieste, Italy.

And also Croatia.

Edited by bluesea777

51 minutes ago, ronheg said:

The requirement is to have a booster shot if it’s been at least 9 months since the original shot.  Requirement for a booster started on 2/1/22

According to the NCL staff at this port, it has something to do with Spain changing its booster policy yesterday.  Getting a direct answer from the personal here is useless. 

19 minutes ago, ChC said:

OP, I don't know how did you manage to enter Spain. But both Spain and Italy has the booster requirement to be considered as fully vaccinated since February 2022. Maybe you had Covid test to satisfying entry? Otherwise someone made a mistake to let you into the country.

Here are the Spanish entry requirement since February:

Ministerio de Sanidad - Professionals - Travel and COVID-19

[QUOTE]COVID-19 Vaccination Certificate
From 1 February 2022, this will be valid from 14 days after the date of administration of the last dose of the complete vaccination schedule and will be valid up to 270 days from the date of administration of that last dose.
Thereafter, in order to be valid, the vaccination certificate must reflect the administration of a booster dose. These certificates will be considered valid since the day the booster dose was administered.[/QUOTE]

And here are from Italy official source:

Entry into Italy: Covid-19 green certificates, validity, equivalents and exceptions - Covid-19, travellers (salute.gov.it)

[QUOTE]

• completion of the primary vaccination series or booster dose according to the vaccination plans of the countries of release with vaccines authorized by the European Medical Agency (primary series validity 9 months and booster dose without predefined limit)  

[/QUOTE]

Both country has the 270 days/9 months requirement or booster since February. If you cared to check the travel advice you would not be surprised to see NCL had to make sure you have a test that is meeting the criteria set by Italian officials.

I really do not wish to ask how did you manage to enter Spain, it is not my business. My point is Spain and Italy both have this 270 days/9 months rule in place since February, and it is easily googled to find their ministry/government website and the information is in plain English.  

Your inconvenience is not the fault of NCL, but entirely yours.

A couple of posts before yours the OP talked about testing at the airport. It sounds as though they were allowed into Spain after being tested.

2 hours ago, andy1fsufan said:

So in short, we can fly to Spain with our vaccines, fly back to the U.S. with the same vaccine cards after testing negative, but to get on the NCL Star in Barcelona for a 10 crews, we’ll so far that’s beyond their control???? A lot more irate people are checking in as I type this.  

It is requirement for the entire EU region (including Spain, actually) that validation of fully vaccinated is 270 days, if it is longer time since your last shot then a booster shot is required as well. OR tests.

Quote:

A valid 'EU Digital COVID Certificate' (EUDCC) or equivalent documents containing one of the following: Proof of full vaccination. Validity: between 14 and 270 days after the last scheduled dose of the primary vaccination series was administered. After 270 days, vaccination certificates must include a booster dose. Only vaccines authorised by the European Medicines Agency (EMA) and the World Health Organization (WHO) will be accepted for travellers from non-EU and non-Schengen countries. Certificates with other vaccines will also be accepted if the last dose was administered with an authorised vaccine. Or Negative result to a pre-departure molecular test (valid 72 hours) or rapid antigen test (valid 24 hours). Consult the list of rapid tests approved by the European Commission. 

https://reopen.europa.eu/en/from-to/OTC/ESP

Edited by TrumpyNor
  • Like 1

I’m speculating, but I assume that NCLs problem is that if they have people onboard who will need a negative test to be allowed to enter countries during the cruise then they are running the risk of having people who can’t leave the ship at the end of the cruise.

I don’t know whether that is the concern. I don’t see that as being an issue with Spain though so references to this being a Spanish issue would suggest that I am wrong.

2 hours ago, ChC said:

OP, I don't know how did you manage to enter Spain. But both Spain and Italy has the booster requirement to be considered as fully vaccinated since February 2022. Maybe you had Covid test to satisfying entry? Otherwise someone made a mistake to let you into the country.

Here are the Spanish entry requirement since February:

Ministerio de Sanidad - Professionals - Travel and COVID-19

[QUOTE]COVID-19 Vaccination Certificate
From 1 February 2022, this will be valid from 14 days after the date of administration of the last dose of the complete vaccination schedule and will be valid up to 270 days from the date of administration of that last dose.
Thereafter, in order to be valid, the vaccination certificate must reflect the administration of a booster dose. These certificates will be considered valid since the day the booster dose was administered.[/QUOTE]

And here are from Italy official source:

Entry into Italy: Covid-19 green certificates, validity, equivalents and exceptions - Covid-19, travellers (salute.gov.it)

[QUOTE]

• completion of the primary vaccination series or booster dose according to the vaccination plans of the countries of release with vaccines authorized by the European Medical Agency (primary series validity 9 months and booster dose without predefined limit)  

[/QUOTE]

Both country has the 270 days/9 months requirement or booster since February. If you cared to check the travel advice you would not be surprised to see NCL had to make sure you have a test that is meeting the criteria set by Italian officials.

I really do not wish to ask how did you manage to enter Spain, it is not my business. My point is Spain and Italy both have this 270 days/9 months rule in place since February, and it is easily googled to find their ministry/government website and the information is in plain English.  

Your inconvenience is not the fault of NCL, but entirely yours.

Negative result to a pre-departure molecular test (valid 72 hours) or rapid antigen test (valid 24 hours). Consult the list of rapid tests approved by the European Commission.
Per Spain website. So I was in compliance per their guidelines. 

Stranded in Barcelona! Update, per NCL spokesperson at the port, the EU recently changed the guidelines in the beginning of the month on April 2.  This is new information to NCL and admitted they were not informed of this new protocol until yesterday. Whether that's the truth or not, that is what everybody who got denied entry was told.  

NCL is only offering FCC and is not assisting with any lodging or flight adjustment since we are all booked to fly out from Venice.

very sorry to hear the latest-  but it seems that NCL was caught off guard by the change as well.

I have been watching this thread this morning, as it brought back to mind our boarding fiasco Dec. 5th on the Breakaway out of New Orleans-  another situation that was out of NCL's control-  but it was a terribly stressful day for those of us who had to stand outside the terminal for hours waiting to see what would happen-  I don't wish to relive that !  But at least we finally got to board and sail.

What are your options now...?  are you able to remain in Spain?  Barcelona is a wonderful city-  very worth spending some time in.

Safe travels

5 minutes ago, ChC said:

Sorry for the OP. I checked all over entry requirement, I do not see any major update at the beginning of April except Spain had an update on 2nd April.

Since your cruise won't be back to Spain, why you were denied boarding? For Italy, a test before arrival should be fine.

I also checked update on entry requirements on Monaco, Croatia, Greece and Montenegro, there is nothing. 

I highly suggest OP to ask for an written document from NCL to cite which authority is the problem. As far as my limited research shows, Croatia and Italy both requires 270 days rule but a simple test can solve the problem. Unless NCL Star has no onboard testing facility then that could be a problem for you.

Another thing is, I assume OP had PLF for Italy ready in hand for check-in?

I tend to agree with you, but does the testing solve the problem? If a passenger test positive in Venice then what happens to them? Can they go ashore, maybe into quarantine, or do they need to stay on the ship? I wonder whether that is the problem.

We're going on the Star's Iceland/Greenland cruise in July. I have read and known that certain European countries (including Iceland) require people to be vaccinated or boostered no more than 270 days ago .... DH had his booster back in October and myself in Nov .... got us worried BUT thankfully Bermuda has started the booster #2 program now so we'll have ours done next month.

I'm sorry about the OP, but I think he should have done some researching himself, rather than relying on NCL that is more North American and Caribbean biased.

P.S. We're vaccinated x2 and boostered, yet contracted covid while on the Joy March 19-26 - there was no mask mandate, and the ship's capacity increased to 75% from 50-55% when passengers from the "broken down" Escape jumped ship to the Joy. Fortunately we (party of 4 - all vac x2 and boostered) tested negative on the day we flew home to Bermuda, but we started feeling unwell the following day.

Edited by bluesea777

1 minute ago, ChC said:

in 2020, if you tested positive in Italy or before Italy, your situation will be most likely to be sent to regional quarantine facility. The exact rule varies in different regions.

Nowadays, if I understand correctly, one has to self isolate for 5 days or until test negative again. However, almost all major hotels requires super green pass or whatever they call it, a Covid positive passengers need to be isolating in facilities that catered to Covid positive passengers.

So I assume if you tested positive on the ship, upon arriving in Italy, you will be given choices what to do next. The first step would be self isolating or quarantine. 

But again, according to the OP, the reason for denied departure is regulatory. So some country along the itinerary decided all passengers need to meet the requirement of 270 days or else. So NCL in theory should be able to tell OP in exact words which country comes up with what rules on what date.

Yeah, I wonder whether it was effectively Italy telling Spain that they didn't want people in this position to set sail as they could get test positive between Spain and Italy, and Italy wouldn't accept picking them up as a potential problem (or had said that they wouldn't allow them to disembark).

It is all speculation, but it does seem odd that Spain would unilaterally have a problem with people boarding as they were effectively getting rid of the problem.

1 minute ago, bluesea777 said:

We're going on the Star's Iceland/Greenland cruise in July. I have read and known that certain European countries (including Iceland) require people to be vaccinated or boostered no more than 270 days .... DH had his booster back in October and myself in Nov .... got us worried BUT thankfully Bermuda has started the booster #2 program now so we'll have ours done next month.

Does the 270 day limit apply to boosters as well. I have read that, at least in some places, it only applies to the first and second doses.

Many countries, including most of Europe I believe, are still only offering one booster, so they would be setting a limit that is impossible for many people to hit if the expiry does apply to boosters. Our booster will be 270 days old in September, and I don't expect us to be offered another one until later in the year than that.