Important vaccine requirements for ALL European cruise ports if arriving from eg. USA

TrumpyNor

46 minutes ago, ChC said:

It does appear only Barcelona confirmed as pier test. Greece currently did not confirm it will be pier test paid for by NCL. Just saying 72 hours PCR or 24 hours Anti-gen. Different wording in Europe/Greece/Spain...etc. The Europe section and Spain section says paid by NCL a t the pier. Others seems to be prior arrival to pier at customer's cost. I read the NCL section several times and could not confirm about Greece.

All of this just adds to the confusion doesn't it? 

1 hour ago, KeithJenner said:

From the updated information on the NCL site it looks like it is now confirmed about the port test, but you no longer need the 72 hour one.

Not what we were told yesterday by NCL. Who knows. It's all a mess.

I'll just stick with both tests - not worth risking it.

From the NCL website it doesn't matter if it's 24 hours or 72 hours, it can be LFT/anti-gen or PCR. Just needs to be "supervised".

"At time of check-in, all guests will be required to provide proof of a negative COVID-19 antigen or NAAT test (i.e. PCR) result administered by a verified third party or via medically supervised home test within two days prior to embarkation date for cruises originating in a U.S. or Canadian port and within three days prior for voyages departing from a non-U.S. port."

But it doesn't really go into 'by country' requirements. 

I do wish the NCL website was better. 

Edited by TheGinBoy

6 minutes ago, TheGinBoy said:

From the NCL website it doesn't matter if it's 24 hours or 72 hours, it can be LFT/anti-gen or PCR. Just needs to be "supervised".

"At time of check-in, all guests will be required to provide proof of a negative COVID-19 antigen or NAAT test (i.e. PCR) result administered by a verified third party or via medically supervised home test within two days prior to embarkation date for cruises originating in a U.S. or Canadian port and within three days prior for voyages departing from a non-U.S. port."

Unless you're unvaccinated and under the age of 12, in which case it needs to be PCR.

There are now many European countries listed as having specific testing requirements. That is where it states that lateral flows are only accepted in Greece if they are within 24 hours.

I am very impatient about cruising again, as I haven't been on one since 2019 (and we usually do two cruises per year). I have two Mediterranean cruises booked for summer 2022, and right now I am actually content they are not until end of July/ beg. of August... 

Edited by TrumpyNor
  • Like 1

It's such a mess isn't it?

Just spoke to an NCL rep in Spain after being transferred twice. Even they weren't sure.

They basically ended up saying: I'm not sure which set of rules we're using, so do a test at home and if needed the test at the pier will be free. Do both to be safe. Sorry.

1 minute ago, TheGinBoy said:

It's such a mess isn't it?

Just spoke to an NCL rep in Spain after being transferred twice. Even they weren't sure.

They basically ended up saying: I'm not sure which set of rules we're using, so do a test at home and if needed the test at the pier will be free. Do both to be safe. Sorry.

I think that for you that is the only sensible way to proceed.

I would believe the website before I would believe NCL phone staff, who are notoriously unreliable, but there isn’t really any downside for you to take the early test as well (other than potentially a little wasted money).

• Like 1

Well, quite. 

It's only £39 for the observed test with DAM health. It's hardly the end of the world. 

My issue is I've got 27 guests from around the world joining us on this cruise (it's our wedding onboard) and each of them are quizzing me about the latest rules/requirements. 

I feel like I'm slowly going mad 🤣

• Like 1

Well I find the current NCL safety page more than a little confusing.  Europe now listed as requiring a booster 14 days before and testing done at port for free by NCL, whilst there are separate listings for Greece, Portugal and Spain but not Italy.  So no free testing in Greece which is Europe?

12 minutes ago, TheGinBoy said:

Also worth noting that some countries, like Italy, require FPP2/N95 masks - not cloth or simple paper masks. 

Do cruiselines give out liberal quantities of N95 masks? (I'm not familiar with "FPP2".)

We've got a big supply, and they don't take up much space, but once one has left home, if they didn't realize they needed to N95-level masks... then where would they get enough for what might be needed on several excursions, for everyone?

And Best Wishes to both of you on your wedding!

It would be grand to get married on a ship!  (Does that Captain perform the ceremony, or...?  Are you "at sea"?)

🙂 

GC

I hope NCL will distribute N95/FPP2 (two classifications for the same grade of mask) masks onboard, we'll take plenty - but I know people will forget them.

Not the captain sadly, but it'll be wonderful regardless.

44 minutes ago, TheGinBoy said:

Well, quite. 

It's only £39 for the observed test with DAM health. It's hardly the end of the world. 

My issue is I've got 27 guests from around the world joining us on this cruise (it's our wedding onboard) and each of them are quizzing me about the latest rules/requirements. 

I feel like I'm slowly going mad 🤣

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding.

There is more than enough stress on planning a wedding without what you are being put through. Wishing you good luck that everything works out well.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

Do cruiselines give out liberal quantities of N95 masks? (I'm not familiar with "FPP2".)

We've got a big supply, and they don't take up much space, but once one has left home, if they didn't realize they needed to N95-level masks... then where would they get enough for what might be needed on several excursions, for everyone?

🙂 

18 minutes ago, TheGinBoy said:

I hope NCL will distribute N95/FPP2 

That is very unlikely,  as the FFP2 masks are very expensive compared to regular face masks. In Europe they cost up to €3.00 per mask if the FFP2 type...

14 minutes ago, TrumpyNor said:

That is very unlikely,  as the FFP2 masks are very expensive compared to regular face masks. In Europe they cost up to €3.00 per mask if the FFP2 type...

Here in the UK, on Amazon, you can get 10x FPP2 masks for £7 (€8.30) - so I imagine NCL can get a decent bulk deal. If they wanted to that is. 

A few folks on Facebook have posted that they received emails from NCL telling them to register for free test at Athens embarkation pier. They are sailing sometime this month. We have not received that email but don't sail until end of May so maybe we'll hear something later. I used the chat function on NCL site. Was told we needed to test ourselves and then again at the port. 

1 minute ago, purplecow15 said:

A few folks on Facebook have posted that they received emails from NCL telling them to register for free test at Athens embarkation pier. They are sailing sometime this month. We have not received that email but don't sail until end of May so maybe we'll hear something later. I used the chat function on NCL site. Was told we needed to test ourselves and then again at the port. 

I’m sailing from athens in 11 days time and haven’t heard anything.

On 4/5/2022 at 11:01 AM, TrumpyNor said:

As this is the case for the regular covid vaccines in EU - that they are valid after 14 days, it is very likely that the same requirement goes for the booster dose as well in many of the EU countries. 

Here in Germany there is no 14 day requirement after the booster shot. The new certificate is valid from the day of the booster vaccination.

steamboats

• Like 1

Starting today you don´t need to fill in the Spanish Health form if you do have a valid digital EU vaccine certification (QR code). Those with CDC cards, UK NHS vaccine proofs, Canadian vaccine proofs still have to fill in the form.

You need to be boostered to fly / cruise to Spain when you basic immunisation is more than 270 old. Otherwise you need a test to enter Spain. Cruise lines won´t take you without the booster as you need a test for each port.

steamboats

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/4/2022 at 11:31 AM, styles27 said:

Thank you that’s the first I’m seeing that explained!

I will get another booster but would like to wait until the Fall so it gets me through the winter. 

That's exactly where a real problem persists: because of all these different rules people are doing what mostly doesn't make sense; what makes sense (and even that is a big maybe) for US people and especially for those who live in regions with a typical winter is to have a shot around October-November time frame to decrease a chance of getting sick (doing it now, contrary, makes a person vulnerable in 6-8 months which is exactly when a bad season in terms of viruses starts).  What an upside down world we live in these days!  Or better to say we live now in the kingdom of crooked (distorting) mirrors.

Edited by kirtihk

28 minutes ago, kirtihk said:

That's exactly where a real problem persists: because of all these different rules people are doing what mostly doesn't make sense; what makes sense (and even that is a big maybe) for US people and especially for those who live in regions with a typical winter is to have a shot around October-November time frame to decrease a chance of getting sick (doing it now, contrary, makes a person vulnerable in 6-8 months which is exactly when a bad season in terms of viruses starts).  What an upside down world we live in these days!  Or better to say we live now in the kingdom of crooked (distorting) mirrors.

And to make it even more confusing a doctor from our local state dept of health was on the news yesterday stating that a study is showing that the Pfizer booster only lasts about 6-8 weeks in the over 55 population🤦🏻‍♀️ That’s me🤷🏻‍♀️ 

I mean at this point it seems to be a wait and see what happens next month type of situation and I understand it’s a new virus etc but my head is spinning trying to keep up with it all. 

I personally am not afraid of getting the virus.  I want to be able to travel and as long as the vaccine is required to do so I will get it.
On the other hand, if they’re learning the booster doesn’t last more than 6 weeks or loses it’s potency after a short amount of time,  I think they need to come up with a better booster.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, styles27 said:

And to make it even more confusing a doctor from our local state dept of health was on the news yesterday stating that a study is showing that the Pfizer booster only lasts about 6-8 weeks in the over 55 population🤦🏻‍♀️ That’s me🤷🏻‍♀️ 

I mean at this point it seems to be a wait and see what happens next month type of situation and I understand it’s a new virus etc but my head is spinning trying to keep up with it all

I personally am not afraid of getting the virus.  I want to be able to travel and as long as the vaccine is required to do so I will get it.
On the other hand, if they’re learning the booster doesn’t last more than 6 weeks or loses it’s potency after a short amount of time,  I think they need to come up with a better booster.  

A rhetorical question is - whose head is not spinning?

I can envision the entire world population staying in line every other month for a "booster"... for the rest of their lives ... so funny vision I must admit!!!

Edited by kirtihk
  • Like 1