Important vaccine requirements for ALL European cruise ports if arriving from eg. USA

TrumpyNor

On 4/4/2022 at 1:05 PM, pc_load_letter said:

Sure, I completely agree that people should know the who, what, when, where of any travel abroad. I do not know all the details but from a 10,000 foot view, it would seem that if 70 to 100 people were denied boarding, there may be a problem.

We cruised for the first time last month and I can't tell you how paranoid I was that we addressed all the required steps before boarding. I have no desire to cruise abroad right now.

I think the problem is thinking that the rules and regulations to cruise abroad are the same as the US.  I am sure somewhere people read that boosters were not required by NCL but that was not specific to the cruise they were taking.  I would never travel to another country for a cruise without googling the rules and regulations to death!  I am still nervous about my June cruise and I am boosted.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, styles27 said:

And to make it even more confusing a doctor from our local state dept of health was on the news yesterday stating that a study is showing that the Pfizer booster only lasts about 6-8 weeks in the over 55 population

I looked up the Israeli study the doctor was referencing. These were the points of most interest to me (Age 75 and husband 77)

1)The study only compared people with the fourth dose to people with a third dose. Previous research had suggested that the third dose provided a significant bump in infection protection over zero, one or two doses.

2)People who got the fourth dose were half as likely to test positive for COVID four weeks later when compared to people who only had three doses, according to the study. But by the eighth week, the groups were almost equally likely to catch COVID, researchers found.

3) While increased protection against infection was short-lived, the fourth booster continued to protect against severe illness for at least six weeks, the study found. The research period actually ended before the protection did, leading researchers to suggest future studies.

SO, after our 45 days of cruising in Europe (April-June) we will get a 2nd booster before our next European trip (36 days Sept-Oct)

My main concern is that the Escape will actually sail on our schedule TA April 25th.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Thenagers said:

I think the problem is thinking that the rules and regulations to cruise abroad are the same as the US.  I am sure somewhere people read that boosters were not required by NCL but that was not specific to the cruise they were taking.  I would never travel to another country for a cruise without googling the rules and regulations to death!  I am still nervous about my June cruise and I am boosted.

It's getting more confusing by the day as it seems countries across the pond are going in different directions. Some are now requiring boosters while others are removing all mandates. I just came across this article which lists 22 countries that have removed all vaccine requirements, testing requirements, masks, and of course no boosters required.

What the cruise line requires is another matter entirely, but my SIL just cancelled a Med cruise and instead will be visiting Ireland by land since Ireland currently has zero restrictions to enter. She just did not want to get caught at the pier.

Anyway, these countries currently have zero covid mandates for entry if interested: 

Argentina

Curacao

Poland

Denmark

Sweden

Slovenia

Grenada

Mongolia

Montenegro

Moldova

England

Romania

Ireland

Hungary

Jordan

Bahrain

Switzerland

Norway

Costa Rica

Mexico

Dominican Republic

El Salvador

https://www.travelinglifestyle.net/countries-without-covid-travel-restrictions-no-test-no-quarantine/

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I just came across this article which lists 22 countries that have removed all vaccine requirements, testing requirements, masks, and of course no boosters required.

Thanks for the link.  All info is helpful.  However, the site also reminded us that:

"Notice that governments can and will change entry restrictions depending on economic, political, and epidemiology factors. As of today, these are the ones welcoming back tourists, no questions asked"

Tomorrow, next week, when I arrive?  Who knows? We've seen it happen often enough.
Best of luck to us all!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BklynBorn47 said:

Tomorrow, next week, when I arrive?  Who knows? We've seen it happen often enough.
Best of luck to us all!

Agreed, the covid situation is still very fluid, especially for cruisers. And it's important to realize that covid requirements once onboard are also fluid. The Ruby princess reinstated mandatory masks mid-cruise last week. So if those who have stated they will absolutely not cruise with a mask requirement might want to be prepared for that possibility regardless what the rules are at embarkation.

And while nothing is written in stone,  land vacations are more stable (hence my SIL cancelling a med cruise and replacing it with a land tour of Ireland just to avoid the inconsistency). 

5 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Agreed, the covid situation is still very fluid, especially for cruisers. And it's important to realize that covid requirements once onboard are also fluid. The Ruby princess reinstated mandatory masks mid-cruise last week. So if those who have stated they will absolutely not cruise with a mask requirement might want to be prepared for that possibility regardless what the rules are at embarkation.

And while nothing is written in stone,  land vacations are more stable (hence my SIL cancelling a med cruise and replacing it with a land tour of Ireland just to avoid the inconsistency). 

I agree.  At this point it's important just to be flexible and be prepared. I will take masks along whether on land or sea. You never know how things will change.

While we also used to enjoy world travel on land, I really don't want to shlep my luggage from hotel to hotel anymore.  We've done Ireland that way, lots of land locked countries too.  
At this point I just want the Escape to sail to Europe.  Watching for updates daily.  I REALLY don't want to fly.  

• Like 1

responding to the rules and regs in general...the 270 day rule...My J&J has expired, I assume i can just get another J&J...and that would satisfy the conditions? (cruising out of Athens) --yes?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KnATL said:

responding to the rules and regs in general...the 270 day rule...My J&J has expired, I assume i can just get another J&J...and that would satisfy the conditions? (cruising out of Athens) --yes?

I believe the CDC has recommended those with a J&J shot to get either Moderna or Pfizer as a booster.

2 hours ago, KnATL said:

I had J&J originally and then a Pfizer booster.  I’m assuming (hoping?) there is no issue with mixing brands.  CDC recommend Pfizer or Moderna for the booster over J&J.

2 hours ago, KnATL said:

Check and double check this VERY carefully.  Others have already commented.

I do not remember anywhere seeing J&J mentioned as a booster.  And I do remember seeing mention of those with J&J getting boosted with either Moderna or Pfizer.

Don't risk a last minute problem, when you wouldn't even have any time after the booster even if you got the right one at the very last minute.

Check, and then print out your documentation.  AND... keep checking.  These rules do change, and not infrequently.

GC

7 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

Check and double check this VERY carefully.  Others have already commented.

I do not remember anywhere seeing J&J mentioned as a booster.  And I do remember seeing mention of those with J&J getting boosted with either Moderna or Pfizer.

Don't risk a last minute problem, when you wouldn't even have any time after the booster even if you got the right one at the very last minute.

Check, and then print out your documentation.  AND... keep checking.  These rules do change, and not infrequently.

GC

I would assume that at this point i am unvaccinated...so why not start over?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KnATL said:

I would assume that at this point i am unvaccinated...so why not start over?

Exactly my thoughts as well - and the validity would be either 270 days (9 months) OR even longer if it is a booster. At least that is what sounds logic "in my head"..... So at least good for the remaining of 2022, if you plan on travelling to Europe.

Edited by TrumpyNor
  • Like 1