Alaska cruise in May?

CONCH65

We just booked our 2nd Alaska cruise and this one is next month on the Carnival Spirit. Our previous Alaska cruise was on the Serenade of the Seas last year in late August. What kind of weather should we expect in May vs August? From what I have found online the temperature should be similar, but we are hoping for a little more sunshine this time. We are stopping in Juneau, Skagway, Icy Strait, Ketchikan, and Victoria. 

7 minutes ago, CONCH65 said:

We just booked our 2nd Alaska cruise and this one is next month on the Carnival Spirit. Our previous Alaska cruise was on the Serenade of the Seas last year in late August. What kind of weather should we expect in May vs August? From what I have found online the temperature should be similar, but we are hoping for a little more sunshine this time. We are stopping in Juneau, Skagway, Icy Strait, Ketchikan, and Victoria. 

I’ve done May and am returning next month. Honestly, it can vary. Temperatures range from the 30s to mid 50s. With that being said, when I was there in May of 2015, it was unseasonably hot. We had 80*+ temperatures and we weren’t prepared for them. People were actually using the pools!

This time around, we are going to look at the forecast a few days before we leave and adjust what we’ve packed to hopefully not have the same issue as before. 

• Like 1

We are heading back in May this year. We have been in each of the summer months and we found our last May trip very pleasant and probably the least rain of any of our AK cruises. Hoping for a similar nice patch of weather when we are there in a few weeks. 

Edited by karatemom2
  • Like 1

I have been in May and early September and am booked the first week of May this year. I preferred May since there was only 1 day with any rain and there was still lots of snow on the mountains. Temperatures were 40s - 60s and probably 30s at Hubbard Glacier. This year my cruise is about 2 weeks earlier than the previous trip in May, so hopefully not too early.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CONCH65 said:

What kind of weather should we expect in May vs August?

May is dry, August is wet.  I prefer late May.  August does offer more wildlife viewing opportunities chasing the returning salmon.

It's Alaska.  You can hope all you want about the weather but Mother Nature may have other plans.  Pass on the dress up clothes and pack an extra jacket.  Rain will not be the problem.  The fog will.  If you cant see it then who cares if it is raining or dry.✌️

18 hours ago, LMKakaThing2 said:

I’ve done May and am returning next month. Honestly, it can vary. Temperatures range from the 30s to mid 50s. With that being said, when I was there in May of 2015, it was unseasonably hot. We had 80*+ temperatures and we weren’t prepared for them. People were actually using the pools!

This time around, we are going to look at the forecast a few days before we leave and adjust what we’ve packed to hopefully not have the same issue as before. 

I was also there at that time and ill prepared for the heat. Had to buy some tee shirts since even my lightest layer was too much. What was funny was that we were visiting San Diego after the cruise and the weather there was in the low 60s and drizzly. Ah weather. 

For those of us that have been to Alaska, trust us when we say layer, layer, layer.  Weather is always changing and can be unpredictable.  I usually check the weather before I go and am not surprised one bit to find that it has changed from what I saw pre-cruise.  One year in May we encountered sleet while going through Glacier Bay.  The weather made it quite a challenge to be out on deck and watch the view while the wind and sleet was slapping us in the face.  Other times, May presented lovely weather.  Last year in June we encountered heavy rain while in Juneau and cool with no rain in August.  After 30 trips to Alaska we have learned that layers are our best friend.

• Like 1

If you can keep dry it’s easier to keep warm.   Id suggest one of the rain ponchos that roll up into a pouch.  Easy to throw into a purse or bag and easy to throw over whatever you are wearing - including purses and backpacks.  

Speaking as a local, we are supposedly having a very wet spring/early summer this year due to La Nina conditions in the Pacific. We have broken several records for rainfall already. May is typically one of the driest months, but my weather app is calling for rain almost every day. Of course, you never know with weather!

• Like 3