Queens Grill - Ordering Off-menu

WestonOne

15 minutes ago, BrisbaneR said:

I haven't ordered breakfast off menu but I wanted to share an evening experience in QG a few years ago.  Knowing that we could order off menu, our table decided to set the chefs the challenge of making Peking Duck for the whole table. Of course, our Maitre D said,  just give us 24 hours notice.  And they came through,  producing a very creditable rendition, with the duck, pancakes and condiments.

I'm wondering what challenges are left? Is there anything they couldn't do? Anyone got a dish in mind?

When I ordered Peking duck I was advised it was 48 hours notice to allow time for the spices etc to be absorbed.  It was an excellent dish!

Steak tartare is also very good when ordered off menu.

8 minutes ago, BrisbaneR said:

I haven't ordered breakfast off menu but I wanted to share an evening experience in QG a few years ago.  Knowing that we could order off menu, our table decided to set the chefs the challenge of making Peking Duck for the whole table. Of course, our Maitre D said,  just give us 24 hours notice.  And they came through,  producing a very creditable rendition, with the duck, pancakes and condiments.

I'm wondering what challenges are left? Is there anything they couldn't do? Anyone got a dish in mind?

24hrs notice?

We have this every trip but for us it's usuaklly on a three day warning. Shoot the thing [aft sharpshooters ☺️], hang it [drawn and quartered tableside] and roasted!

The galley is always up for a challenge as long as the ingredients are onboard. Personally, I go for Asian dishes and the occasional paella. The only time I've found it a let down is when I ask for  seared blackened tuna. It's always been a bit of a let down as it's more cooked than seared.

I always have a salad at lunch time [ordered at breakfast], specifying the contents and it got to the point where it became known as Table x salad as a few of us had it.

3 minutes ago, Se1lad said:

When I ordered Peking duck I was advised it was 48 hours notice to allow time for the spices etc to be absorbed.  It was an excellent dish!

Steak tartare is also very good when ordered off menu.

As is Tuna tartare. Add ginger, sesame oil and touch  of chilli and it goes brilliantly with  wraps.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MarkBearSF said:

But I appreciate being corrected. 

Please do not think I was trying to correct you or anyone else.  I did the highlighting weeks ago because I said above I have two trips coming up, one in Queen's Grill and one not, so I wanted to know what was different between them, if anything. 

As it is, I think the highlighting on the yogurts is wrong - they are just in different parts of the menu.

We've had a few meals that we just let either the Maitre d' or Head Waiter have a free for all!

For example, an Indian curry night, which hit the spot, or the one we won't forget, when Sandro offered us an Italian night.

It started with enough antipasti to choke a horse. Don't touch the bread!

This was followed by Sandro bringing out the cart and preparing a sauce which he explained as he went along. Then, after a snap of his fingers, the waiters brought out a bucket of spaghetti and he shared it out. My wife mistakenly thought that this must be our main course. It wasn't. It was just the pasta course.

I then spotted a silver dish with four very large veal steaks. Her indoors commented that they can't possibly be all for us. Wrong. They were, along with two sides of vegetables.

I could feel my shirt buttons straining.

All followed by dessert and washed down with Italian wine.

A lovely gesture, but just too much food!

• Like 2

Ha ha, we did the same Big Mac. The antipasti was enough for me. By the time the zabaglione was wheeled out, I was ready for a sleep!

The beauty is of course, you don't have to eat it all. The downside is not wanting to appear a wimp.

I wimped out after the pasta course.

I must add though, Sandro's tableside spaghetti is well worth asking for as are many of his pasta dishes. Just don't expect small portions and be prepared to invite a friend to help you out!😁

Steak Tartare is a staple table-side prepared off menu order which we have enjoyed in both Queens and Princess Grills.

208682175_SteakTartarebymaitredOsman.thumb.jpg.e5c456ecb544c67dece8052662a83d58.jpg

The more sophisticated diner would of course only choose to order Steak Tartare  for lunch...

2091772592_MaitredpreparesSteakTartare.thumb.JPG.67cf240cf25134cae918831b1bb6f206.JPG

...and preferably washed down with a fine Malbec...

164563946_SteakTartarewithMalbec.jpg.4f234bac9d963e221bbc5476fb0b04e2.jpg

Edited by Solent Richard
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, BigMac1953 said:

We've had a few meals that we just let either the Maitre d' or Head Waiter have a free for all!

For example, an Indian curry night, which hit the spot, or the one we won't forget, when Sandro offered us an Italian night.

It started with enough antipasti to choke a horse. Don't touch the bread!

This was followed by Sandro bringing out the cart and preparing a sauce which he explained as he went along. Then, after a snap of his fingers, the waiters brought out a bucket of spaghetti and he shared it out. My wife mistakenly thought that this must be our main course. It wasn't. It was just the pasta course.

I then spotted a silver dish with four very large veal steaks. Her indoors commented that they can't possibly be all for us. Wrong. They were, along with two sides of vegetables.

I could feel my shirt buttons straining.

All followed by dessert and washed down with Italian wine.

A lovely gesture, but just too much food!

Go on, was it Chianti and Tiramisu? 😉😉

1201560232_ChiantiAsda25off.thumb.jpg.5e3eb2142d84692aa0b0f2c9dcbaa41f.jpg

Edited by Solent Richard
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, ClipperinSFO said:

Re: steak tartare, a couple of years ago, Osman prepare a version of his native cig köfte (a Turkish steak tartar of sorts) and offered it to willing diners in the QG.  It was delicious!  

IMG_5463.jpeg

Fascinating @ClipperinSFO Tell us how it was different from the classic tartare.

2 hours ago, Stu UK said:

We are just off QE and the following requests were amazing. Dressed crab, lobster bisque, escargot, crepe’s Suzette and egg & chips !!

and that's the beauty of being able to have what you want, when you want [ingredients on the ship providing].

I've told the tale before when a fellow diner, a Full Worldie,  had Hot Dog, fried onions and fries on a Gala evening. The rest of us were salivating at the sight and smell. Great panache. 😃

On 4/4/2022 at 2:14 PM, Colin_Cameron said:

That’s the one thing I have requested (at breakfast). Not every morning, but maybe a couple of times a cruise. It used to be on the menu, but not for a number of years now.

That was my memory as well; that shirred eggs used to be on the Queens Grill menu for many years, but haven't been for quite a while.  I never had it, but of course regretted that I hadn't tried it after it was taken off the menu.

2 minutes ago, Sweetpea711423 said:

That was my memory as well; that shirred eggs used to be on the Queens Grill menu for many years, but haven't been for quite a while.  I never had it, but of course regretted that I hadn't tried it after it was taken off the menu.

Back in the day, on the QE2, the shirred eggs came with caviar, if I recall correctly.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, techteach said:

Fascinating @ClipperinSFO Tell us how it was different from the classic tartare.

Not sure of the exact ingredient, as it arrived at the table in the form you see above. Not even sure of type of meat at the base (beef/ lamb? other?) but it was delicious. Lots of "middle eastern" herbs and spices folded in, which, looking at recipes online, could have consisted of among other things (from wikipedia) "Other ingredients are mild onions, scallions, parsley, and usually green pepper. Variants of the dish may use tomato sauce, Tabasco sauce, and mint leaves".)

Whatever was in it, it was delicious a different, and I was grateful Osman shared it.   I always appreciate it when the national diversity of the crew is reflected on the plate!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MarkBearSF said:

Back in the day, on the QE2, the shirred eggs came with caviar, if I recall correctly.

Thank you!  Now envisioning a special order brekkie: "Shirred eggs with a bit of caviar please" on our May crossing.

• Like 2

On 4/7/2022 at 12:13 AM, Lakesregion said:

Love how exceptionally well dressed the maître d is in the grills. Shame he has to serve to those who think "Smart attire consists of a long sleeved shirt and chinos.

Yes, and when one considers that those photographs were taken at lunches, your point becomes  even more pertinent.

Cleared out the shed this weekend and came across menus from our first QG experience on the QE2 in 1985.  I would say that the choice on the menus of today is much wider particularly if one likes fish. I do recall we ordered off menu on one evening but can’t recall what we had . The table next to us ordered meatloaf which did surprise us - but one of the joys of the QG is  one can order what one wants!

On 4/4/2022 at 3:31 PM, majortom10 said:

There was always enough to please us on the menu for dinner without the need for ordering off menu. To be honest I wouldnt know what to ask for.

Filet mignon Lili.  A beef filet sauteed in butter with a wine sauce reduction of veal demi glace, Madiera, malaga, tomato paste, and cognac.  Garnished with slices of truffle and foie gras served over Potatoes Anna with artichoke hearts.  Decadent and beyond delicious.

• Like 3