Princess ad on TV last night-Alaska compared to a theme park vacation

sept10dsm

The reality is much different for those who went to Alaska last year. Closed businesses everywhere, particularly in Skagway and Juneau. The ads always show the ship up next to a glacier, when most are receding or are just dirty ice now. They don't show the 5 ships at a time in Juneau, with thousands of passengers in a tiny downtown. They show bears, which few people ever see. They don't show the people freezing in a stiff wind on the sea days to and from Seattle, with everyone on the ship stuck bored inside, or getting rained on in summer when the rest of the country is beautiful.  In September our ship just missed hurricane-force winds, and the Majestic was delayed in Seattle a day because of severe storms off Vancouver Island. Icy Strait Point projects a theme park image, but if you walk a few miles to Hoonah you'll find a depressed town where the main activity seems to be drinking. Regarding cost, they don't mention the $300 or so passengers will be shelling out in port fees per person this year, with Seattle doing the worst gouging, not to mention the price and difficulty of getting a hotel this summer as Alaska and other tourism explodes. Flight cancellations are also a real possibility, since Alaska, the biggest airline out of Seattle, is experiencing a severe pilot shortage and extensive cancellations, with Princess-like 10-hour waits to get customer service. And of course Canada did its best to not welcome passengers back by insisting on a 1-day testing window, so many people will be turned away at the pier because they took a 2-day test. So regardless of price, at any other theme park you don't have to worry about testing or the risk of quarantine or your vacation not happening at all because of improper testing, vaccine cards, or ArriveCAN apps, or a canceled flight. 

9 hours ago, rj59 said:

The reality is much different for those who went to Alaska last year. Closed businesses everywhere, particularly in Skagway and Juneau. The ads always show the ship up next to a glacier, when most are receding or are just dirty ice now. They don't show the 5 ships at a time in Juneau, with thousands of passengers in a tiny downtown. They show bears, which few people ever see. They don't show the people freezing in a stiff wind on the sea days to and from Seattle, with everyone on the ship stuck bored inside, or getting rained on in summer when the rest of the country is beautiful.  In September our ship just missed hurricane-force winds, and the Majestic was delayed in Seattle a day because of severe storms off Vancouver Island. Icy Strait Point projects a theme park image, but if you walk a few miles to Hoonah you'll find a depressed town where the main activity seems to be drinking. 

Anyone who does research knows that September has the potential for the worst weather compared to other cruising months in comparison. May historically has the best weather and September has the potential for the worst. When you refer to businesses closed - were there tours or shopping. I could care less about shopping. When in port - I get out of town to see the Alaska beauty so if the shops in Juneau were closed, I would have been ok. I have friends who went and enjoyed themselves. Of course they did tours with local companies and had a great time. 

Not sure how experienced you are with glaciers - some definitely look darker than others. Some are just stunning.

I have gotten pretty close to glaciers - often on small boat tours but also on large ships - it just depends on conditions. I have been on cruise ships where Princess has filmed our sailing as everything went well condition wise and we got really close. It was magical. 

I have been to Alaska many times and have lucked out and see bears on every single trip. Of course I am not looking in downtown Juneau but on tours I have seen them. Never guaranteed but I have seen them on drives in Skagway, near Mendenhall, boat rides out of Juneau, hikes in Seward, etc.... Not necessarily bear watching tours but I do see bears.

9 hours ago, rj59 said:

The reality is much different for those who went to Alaska last year. Closed businesses everywhere, particularly in Skagway and Juneau. The ads always show the ship up next to a glacier, when most are receding or are just dirty ice now. They don't show the 5 ships at a time in Juneau, with thousands of passengers in a tiny downtown. They show bears, which few people ever see. They don't show the people freezing in a stiff wind on the sea days to and from Seattle, with everyone on the ship stuck bored inside, or getting rained on in summer when the rest of the country is beautiful.  In September our ship just missed hurricane-force winds, and the Majestic was delayed in Seattle a day because of severe storms off Vancouver Island. Icy Strait Point projects a theme park image, but if you walk a few miles to Hoonah you'll find a depressed town where the main activity seems to be drinking. Regarding cost, they don't mention the $300 or so passengers will be shelling out in port fees per person this year, with Seattle doing the worst gouging, not to mention the price and difficulty of getting a hotel this summer as Alaska and other tourism explodes. Flight cancellations are also a real possibility, since Alaska, the biggest airline out of Seattle, is experiencing a severe pilot shortage and extensive cancellations, with Princess-like 10-hour waits to get customer service. And of course Canada did its best to not welcome passengers back by insisting on a 1-day testing window, so many people will be turned away at the pier because they took a 2-day test. So regardless of price, at any other theme park you don't have to worry about testing or the risk of quarantine or your vacation not happening at all because of improper testing, vaccine cards, or ArriveCAN apps, or a canceled flight. 

This is probably one of the best threads ever.  Princess is better than a Disneyland vacation!!!!  

Wow, I know Princess passengers think they are hip, slip and cool (a lots with those thing broken or replaced) but anytime the volume gets a little too loud in the Princess Theater they all run to CS Desk to complain.  

I am just always in awe of some Princess peeps who think they are "livin' la vida loca"  on a Princess ship because they get to play trivia every hour of the day.  

The most exciting thing that happens on a Princess ship for us is if we are ever able to talk to someone and they do not mention how may times they have cruised Princess.  Boring.  

We love Princess but it is not even in the same league as a Disney Vacation for the family. OMG!  LOL!!

On 4/5/2022 at 1:31 AM, donaldsc said:

Did you notice that according to the  2nd Princess ad, you will aurora in the summer.  So much for cruise company truth in advertising.  The problem is that many people will actually expect to see intense aurora in the summer and will feel gyped when they don't see them.

DON

I do know someone who did see them mid-September from their ship. I was surprised also.

1 hour ago, Princessfan20 said:

This is probably one of the best threads ever.  Princess is better than a Disneyland vacation!!!!  

Wow, I know Princess passengers think they are hip, slip and cool (a lots with those thing broken or replaced) but anytime the volume gets a little too loud in the Princess Theater they all run to CS Desk to complain.  

I am just always in awe of some Princess peeps who think they are "livin' la vida loca"  on a Princess ship because they get to play trivia every hour of the day.  

The most exciting thing that happens on a Princess ship for us is if we are ever able to talk to someone and they do not mention how may times they have cruised Princess.  Boring.  

We love Princess but it is not even in the same league as a Disney Vacation for the family. OMG!  LOL!!

🤣 your a real piece of work

2 hours ago, Coral said:

I do know someone who did see them mid-September from their ship. I was surprised also.

I also have seen very very  faint aurora on a late August cruise.  However they were nowhere as intense as the ones in the picture.  The ones in the picture are mid winter aurora.

DON

8 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

I also have seen very very  faint aurora on a late August cruise.  However they were nowhere as intense as the ones in the picture.  The ones in the picture are mid winter aurora.

DON

I would agree. The pics my friends showed me were faint looking.

Edited by Coral