ArriveCAN and border requirements for AK cruise

Hello,

My spouse and I are sailing the Serenade out of Vancouver in May and I had some questions about navigating the border crossing requirements. We will be flying from the US to Canada to board and then "reentering" Canada from the ship when we disembark, before flying into the US. Has anyone gone through a similar process with their cruise recently?

Some specific questions:

1. For the quarantine plan required in ArriveCAN, what have you entered? We won't have a suitable quarantine plan because we don't know anyone in Vancouver to stay with, and currently planning on entering the cruise terminal address as the quarantine location as an address is required. I'm figuring this will be okay as we are fully vaccinated and will only need to quarantine with a positive test result (in which case we should be set up in a gov facility and wouldn't be taking the cruise anyway). Thoughts?
2. What has been folks' experiences using ArriveCAN before/during disembarkment? Did you do it before getting of the ship? 
3. For the US reentry test we booked CVM Medical which is in the airport by the US check in desk. Anyone have experience using them? In general how did your rentry test go?

Thanks,

Arin

3 minutes ago, AgenderArin said:

Has anyone gone through a similar process with their cruise recently?

Welcome to CC.

There have been no sailings there for three years and won't be for another few weeks.

Edited by Biker19

Are you a fully vaccinated traveler?

Do you have the means to pay for a hotel for the duration of a quarantine?  

I just checked their website; it looks like a Yes to both of those is going to make it easier for you. 

Further investigation is needed, as I sail on May 4 with a stop in Victoria. I think I read something recently about their newest set of requirements (being eased).  

12 minutes ago, AgenderArin said:

Some specific questions:

1. For the quarantine plan required in ArriveCAN, what have you entered? We won't have a suitable quarantine plan because we don't know anyone in Vancouver to stay with, and currently planning on entering the cruise terminal address as the quarantine location as an address is required. I'm figuring this will be okay as we are fully vaccinated and will only need to quarantine with a positive test result (in which case we should be set up in a gov facility and wouldn't be taking the cruise anyway). Thoughts?

on the arrivecan website it says this about cruise ships and the quarantine plan:

If you are arriving by marine vessel, include the address where the vessel will be moored.

you put in the address of the cruise terminal where the ship docks.

• Like 1

Since pre-entry testing is not required (as of April 1), the cruise terminal address is your quarantine address, as stated by the PP.  

Government quarantine facilities are for those who cannot provide for themselves.  You should expect to house yourself in a hotel if needed.

Do you have pre-Cruise testing to do after arrival in Canada or will you do that at home?

Have you considered using a telehealth-proctored test with immediate test results?  They cost around $33, order online to carry with you, and require data access on your phone.  

2 hours ago, AgenderArin said:

Hello,

My spouse and I are sailing the Serenade out of Vancouver in May and I had some questions about navigating the border crossing requirements. We will be flying from the US to Canada to board and then "reentering" Canada from the ship when we disembark, before flying into the US. Has anyone gone through a similar process with their cruise recently?

Some specific questions:

2. What has been folks' experiences using ArriveCAN before/during disembarkment? Did you do it before getting of the ship? 
3. For the US reentry test we booked CVM Medical which is in the airport by the US check in desk. Anyone have experience using them? In general how did your rentry test go?

Thanks,

Arin

The Alaskan cruise season did not start yet, so it is too early to ask.  Repost at the end of this month.

Thank you all for your feedback. I hadn't thought of the ship itself as a quarantine option and can list the terminal address on the form.

We are both fully vaccinated and so therefore shouldn't have to test for the airline unless randomly selected, but as far as I can tell we do still need to list a quarantine plan.

For the pre-testing for the cruise, we have two different PCR testing sites that we use regularly. The ship leaves Sunday so the plan is to get tested at both of them first thing Friday morning in the hopes that at least one of them will come back in time. Historically they both provide results within a day and a half to two days, often sooner. 

I cruise early May from Vancouver for cruise #1 then plan to bus over to Seattle for a different ship for cruise #2.  I'm flying direct to Vancouver then return flight is from Seattle.

A molecular test to board the ship has a 3 day window so my plan to test molecular in my home state the day before I fly to Vancouver.  Test on day 0, flight on day +1, board ship on day +2.  I'm hoping my molecular test will also grease the wheels with CBSA for entry into Canada and reduce the likelihood that they'll invoke a 14 day quarantine.  

Coming off the ship after cruise #1 there is no longer a need to test to disembark the ship in Vancouver.

By busing over the border to enter the US I don't need a test since I'm not flying into the US.  

I'll bring a couple eMed proctored tests with me that I'll do from my hotel in Seattle to board cruise #2 with a backup test in case one of them misfires. 

I've travelled to Canada a number of times since they reopened the border late in 2021.  On one occasion I had a solid quarantine plan in the ArriveCAN app.  On a more recent trip I did not have a quarantine plan and indicated that in the ArriveCAN app.  The resulting ArriveCAN output showed a V for my vaccine but had a red bar across it since I had no quarantine plan.  I was still able to enter Canada without issue.  

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

Quarantine plan should be easy for cruises since Canada's rules for cruising say you're expected to follow the cruise line's quarantine procedures if you test positive on board.

I'm just wondering how detailed it needs to be, and I'm probably overthinking it.  If I arrive in Canada 3 days before the cruise embarks, in theory I could test positive before getting on the ship.  Does my plan need to cover every contingency?  I know that Canadians are world renowned for their friendliness but I don't know how far it extends.

Up to this  point the quarantine plan in the ArriveCAN app stepped you through several questions then asked for Canadian address you plan to quarantine.   The app was updated for the new rules and marine users but I haven’t tried submitting for a cruise ship.  I have a conventional visit before my cruise so I have to get that trip done first.  

Edited by twangster

We just did ArriveCan April 1st.  First day of border opening for us in the Thousand Islands.

I had also had trouble  with the quarantine plan.  So you can't put a USA address, so we used the address of the port of entry. ( because if we get chosen for random testing and test positive we wont be continuing on into Canada)  So for us we put  Hill Island, Gananoque ONT.  and then found the zip for Gan, or you could use the address of a hotel near where your border crossing into Canada is,

It took it perfectly.  So when you get to the end of the App you will get a bar code on your phone.  We took our passports our Vaccine card and i had my phone with the bar code,  the only thing they wanted to see was the passport.  they have everything else in their system since you did the ArriveCan app.

• Like 1