Want to book an additional room for second guest instead of sharing. Advice?

molly2kit

Hi.  I am sailing in May in a room I am sharing with my adult son.

The rates for the cruise are fairly reasonable and as we have different hours, one person is a night owl. One isn’t.  I thought I might purchase an additional room for him so that we don’t conflict with each other.

I booked direct with Holland.

phoned just now to find out how to do this.  First the agent told me no problem, just buy the extra room.   I questioned this as room rate of presently booked room is higher now than when we booked and I thought they might raise the price  She decided to check.   Came back on line to tell me that I would have to pay a cancellation fee of $685 for the room presently booked as well as purchase the new room.  This is because it was a non Refundable rate.    No refund of taxes or port fees on present room

Does anyone have an idea how to do this without the fee?  I’m actually trying to pay them more money by booking an additional solo rate cabin.   

Thank you for any ideas you can offer to solve this dilemma

Edited by molly2kit

BTW, if you are paying for it, don't feel bad about getting your son a cheaper cabin than you have, as long as you have a nicer cabin that he will want to spend much of his time.  On another cruise line one time, my wife and I stayed in their top-level suite and since it only slept 2 (despite it being larger than HAL's PS), we got our two sons the cheapest inside cabin available.  They spent most of their time in our suite, but could go back to their cabin occasionally to get away from us old farts.  They thought it was great.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, molly2kit said:

Hi.  I am sailing in May in a room I am sharing with my adult son.

The rates for the cruise are fairly reasonable and as we have different hours, one person is a night owl. One isn’t.  I thought I might purchase an additional room for him so that we don’t conflict with each other.

I booked direct with Holland.

phoned just now to find out how to do this.  First the agent told me no problem, just buy the extra room.   I questioned this as room rate of presently booked room is higher now than when we booked and I thought they might raise the price  She decided to check.   Came back on line to tell me that I would have to pay a cancellation fee of $685 for the room presently booked as well as purchase the new room.  This is because it was a non Refundable rate.    No refund of taxes or port fees on present room

Does anyone have an idea how to do this without the fee?  I’m actually trying to pay them more money by booking an additional solo rate cabin.   

Thank you for any ideas you can offer to solve this dilemma

I cancelled my traveling partner after final payment, was rebooked as a solo at a higher (latest) rate, and had to pay more just to keep my solo room.  I am wiser now. 

Forget the cancellation and just have your son be a "no show" for your stateroom.  Suggest your son bring a friend to share his own stateroom.

OP here.  I was going to get him a cheaper room.   He is happy with this.

I don’t think I will be able to book another reservation for him if he is still a passenger in my cabin, at least I doubt they would let me.

I am thinking the only way around this is to say he can’t come in my cabin, add a different second person and then book a single cabin for him……..and this is just way too much  work and would require his “replacement” to enter all their personal details and passport information etc.

I guess this is all a lesson for the future that I should just book solo and add a second person last minute, although who knows if they will want to reface that too.

Obviously I have lost of knowledge over the past 3 years of not cruising, the refaring and charging a cancellation penalty seems really unfair if you are deleting a person and not crediting port taxes and fees for a passenger who doesn’t board doesn’t seem right either.    

2 minutes ago, twodjs said:

If your son called to make a new reservation, would that booking not be permitted? Worth a try. That $685 is ridiculous! 

I agree it’s a steep fee, plus port fees 

The agent said I would not get any money back and would have to pay $685 cancellation as it was a non refundable fare

14 minutes ago, molly2kit said:

Obviously I have lost of knowledge over the past 3 years of not cruising, the refaring and charging a cancellation penalty seems really unfair if you are deleting a person and not crediting port taxes and fees for a passenger who doesn’t board doesn’t seem right either.    

I don’t think you’ve “ lost knowledge”:  I think the difference is the ( now fairly common) non-refundable rate.

12 hours ago, KAKcruiser said:

When you mention a $685 cancellation fee, is this additional money you would have to pay or the money you would lose for his half of the room?  You always have to pay double for a single in a room.

I have paid the room in full for 2 people, that is fine with me.  To change to solo in this room they want me to pay an additional $685, not be credited for the port taxes already paid for the second person and then, pay a solo (2x fare) plus 1 port tax for the second cabin.

The costs for the second cabin are fine with me,  I just feel the additional $685 plus not receiving a credit for the second person’s port taxes is unreasonable.

needless to say I’m leaving things as they are and we will stay in one cabin instead of 2