Purchasing a Drink Package

We're on our first Carnival cruise in May of 2023.  I received an email advertising a 15% discount on the full drink package.  I  went into our planner and sure enough the drink package was $51 each.  This is an excellent price compared to what we're paying for a package on our Royal Caribbean TA cruise.  I put the package in our shopping cart until I ask a couple of questions.   My first question is, if the price goes down can you cancel this package and rebook?  Are there any risks to paying for the package over a year in advance.  And finally,  we have had packages on Royal Caribbean and Cunard,  are there many big differences?

• Like 1

My first question is, if the price goes down can you cancel this package and rebook?  Are there any risks to paying for the package over a year in advance.  

Lol...everyone got email this week that the cheers drink package that you see right now for $51 is going up on 5/1/22 and that is the advantage at this current time to paying for it a year in advance!  

Sorry, cannot answer your other questions.  

Edited by Drazil65
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, charlesspinney said:

We're on our first Carnival cruise in May of 2023.  I received an email advertising a 15% discount on the full drink package.  I  went into our planner and sure enough the drink package was $51 each.  This is an excellent price compared to what we're paying for a package on our Royal Caribbean TA cruise.  I put the package in our shopping cart until I ask a couple of questions.   My first question is, if the price goes down can you cancel this package and rebook?  Are there any risks to paying for the package over a year in advance.  And finally,  we have had packages on Royal Caribbean and Cunard,  are there many big differences?

If (and as others have said, its a big if) the price drops, you can cancel and rebuy.  The issue is that until your refund hits you will be out the money for 2 sets of packages.

RCCL and Carnivals packages are very similar, except for one major difference.  With Carnival you are only allowed 15 drinks (alcoholic drinks) per day!!

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, ULCajunCruiser said:

If (and as others have said, its a big if) the price drops, you can cancel and rebuy.  The issue is that until your refund hits you will be out the money for 2 sets of packages.

RCCL and Carnivals packages are very similar, except for one major difference.  With Carnival you are only allowed 15 drinks (alcoholic drinks) per day!!

Just to clarify - you  are only allowed 15 drinks per day whether you have a Cheers package or not. 

You can buy bottles of alcohol or wine through the fun shops to have in your room and aren’t counted against your 15 drinks. I believe you get a 20 or 25% discount with Cheers. 

• Thanks 1

Drinking Alcohol On Board

The minimum age for the purchase and/or consumption of alcoholic beverages in the bars, lounges and gift shops is 21 years of age. Carnival reserves the right to request ID prior to the purchase of alcohol and refuse the sale of alcohol to anyone. Guests will be limited to purchasing a maximum of 15 alcoholic beverages, per person, per day while on board.

https://www.carnival.com/help/1373#section-1

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, charlesspinney said:

We are booked in September, never had the drink package before trying to decide if we should get it before it goes up

9 hours ago, foxcent said:

So with that being said is the drink package worth it, I have never gotten the drink package before.  Since it will be going up if I am going to get it, I would need to decide 

It depends what kind of a drinker you are.  My husband and I both like to drink.  I like mimosas in the morning, a couple drinks by the pool.  Wine at supper. 

We just got off and it was definitely worth it for us.  We got our money's worth.  Plus I like being able to order cocktails without stressing over the price. 

Plus I got lots of bottles of water, a fancy coffee or two every day, the occasional energy drink and gatorade.  

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Wolfshair said:

You are not limited to 15 drinks a day if you do not have the cheers package.

9 hours ago, foxcent said:

So with that being said is the drink package worth it, I have never gotten the drink package before.  Since it will be going up if I am going to get it, I would need to decide 

Limit is 15 drinks/per day regardless of whether or not you have the Cheers package at about 10 drinks you will see on the receipt how many you have left to order.  I have seen way to many people cut off at the 15 drink mark even those that did not  appear intoxicated.  We buy it for convenience and the fact that I drink a high end Margarita and my husband a high end Rum so for us it does save us money.  The discounted price is for booking online prior to the cruise, it does not go any lower.  Buying on the ship is higher

5 minutes ago, dbrucern said:

Limit is 15 drinks/per day regardless of whether or not you have the Cheers package at about 10 drinks you will see on the receipt how many you have left to order.  I have seen way to many people cut off at the 15 drink mark even those that did not  appear intoxicated.  We buy it for convenience and the fact that I drink a high end Margarita and my husband a high end Rum so for us it does save us money.  The discounted price is for booking online prior to the cruise, it does not go any lower.  Buying on the ship is higher

Oh I forgot about that too.  I also ordered high end liquor in my drinks as well. 

We always get the package.   We even got it on a Viking river cruise where the beer and wine is included at lunch and dinner.   The only thing I can add to 1Kaper's comments is at dinner you can pair each course with a different wine.  And at the end of the meal I enjoy port or a specialty coffee.  Not having a big bill at the end of a cruise is a plus.  Even grabbing a couple of bottles of water or energy drinks before heading out on an excursion is included in the package. So my advice would be, if you can afford it and enjoy a drink while on holidays,  get it!  Cheers!🍹🥂

Like others, we did the math and made the decision to purchase the cheers package online now instead of waiting for price increase. I had purchased gift cards at AARP. Be aware that the carnival website will allow you to enter only 5 gift cards for the purchase---so I ended up having to pay for 1 package with gift cards and the other with a credit card.

4 hours ago, shiner6 said:

Like others, we did the math and made the decision to purchase the cheers package online now instead of waiting for price increase. I had purchased gift cards at AARP. Be aware that the carnival website will allow you to enter only 5 gift cards for the purchase---so I ended up having to pay for 1 package with gift cards and the other with a credit card.

That must be new.  Last year in August i paid for cheers for 4 people with all $100 gift cards.  Thank you for the heads up

• Like 1

2 hours ago, foodcruiser said:

What I like about the package is that I can try something different. If I don't like it I can order a different drink.  I never get close to the 15 drink limit and do not have to think about the cost.

That is totally my reason for buying as well.   

On some other lines you never even had a record of how many you had so the DW would have no idea.  I understand that on carnival it goes to you onboard account.   Well maybe she won't look. 🤪

• Haha 1

On 4/5/2022 at 2:00 PM, Wolfshair said:

Let me put it this way, I've been on 35 Carnival sailings and I've never been limited....

Youve not hit 15 or your bartenders do not care.

bartenders can override the system *as they have for me* but has nothing to do with package

Edited by KyloRen