Viking Orion medical emergency

stretchcruz

We're on our way to Puerto Vallarta for a medical emergency. Captain said it would take 5 to 6 hours. Supposed to be in Cabo San Lucas tomorrow. Not sure what will happen. I don't care, we weren't getting off anyway, but I hope the passenger is ok. Must be serious to divert.

Andy will know how long it takes to sail from Puerto Vallarta to Cabo. I have no idea.

Edited by stretchcruz

1 hour ago, stretchcruz said:

We're on our way to Puerto Vallarta for a medical emergency. Captain said it would take 5 to 6 hours. Supposed to be in Cabo San Lucas tomorrow. Not sure what will happen. I don't care, we weren't getting off anyway, but I hope the passenger is ok. Must be serious to divert.

Andy will know how long it takes to sail from Puerto Vallarta to Cabo. I have no idea.

Oh no.  I do hope that all will be well. The good thing about PV is that there is a very large English speaking ( American and Canadian) Expat community there so many of the doctors speak excellent English and were trained , at least in part , in the US and Canada. This will make things a bit easier and  give some peace of mind to those affected.  My husband had to be hospitalized and have surgery  there in January and we were very pleased with the care given. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, stretchcruz said:

Distance is a little over 300 miles.

From singling up the lines to being brought up to the anchor should be about 16 to 19 hours. At 18.5 kts it would be at the high end. I used to do this every week and recall a number of N'bd trips where we got a real push from wind and/or currents, so with a push and the ship making 20 kts it could be the low end.

I noted on Marine Traffic that you were already passed PV, so had to turn around. Currently making 15.9 kts and about 50 to 60 miles to PV, so another 3 to 4 hrs.

Just now, Heidi13 said:

Distance is a little over 300 miles.

From singling up the lines to being brought up to the anchor should be about 16 to 19 hours. At 18.5 kts it would be at the high end. I used to do this every week and recall a number of N'bd trips where we got a real push from wind and/or currents, so with a push and the ship making 20 kts it could be the low end.

I noted on Marine Traffic that you were already passed PV, so had to turn around. Currently making 15.9 kts and about 50 to 60 miles to PV, so another 3 to 4 hrs.

I knew you'd have the answer. Thanks! So far they haven't said anything.

51 minutes ago, stretchcruz said:

I knew you'd have the answer. Thanks! So far they haven't said anything.

Carnival Panorama has departed PV. Viking Orion now showing 16.4 kts and about 30 mls to the pilot station.

Well, that's a wrap. The pilot boat pulled alongside in the harbor with a stretcher, they loaded all of the luggage. The man walked to the stretcher. His wife got aboard and off they went. They were both speaking so hopefully he'll be ok. It was directly below my balcony. And we're off. It's 11:45. Announcement was made around 5.

Edited by stretchcruz
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, stretchcruz said:

Well, that's a wrap. The pilot boat pulled alongside in the harbor with a stretcher, they loaded all of the luggage. The man walked to the stretcher. His wife got aboard and off they went. They were both speaking so hopefully he'll be ok. It was directly below my balcony. And we're off. It's 11:45. Announcement was made around 5.

The AIS shows ETA Cabo as 18:00 (Z-6)

Yes, captain woke us up this morning to say we'd be in Cabo from 6 till 9. Then the CD came on and said the last tender was at 8:30. I feel badly because there are some Ukrainian crew members onboard who are flying out from Cabo. They were supposed to fly from LA but one of them told me that the USA won't let them fly from there. So they had to change airports. Some of them, who were supposed to fly from Ft Lauderdale, flew from Cozumel instead. And she's flying from Cabo. I imagine that maybe that's why we are even stopping for such a short time.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stretchcruz said:

She told me that the Ukraniams aren't allowed off in the US, even for flights. Thus the flights from Cozumel and Cabo.

I wonder if that is because the US is afraid they would ask for asylum and refugee status?

Edited by Blackduck59
  • Like 2

It's pretty awful. A few other cruise members told me that since we are starting California coastal and Alaska cruises that the Ukraines would have to be staying on.i think they forgot that we stop in Canada. I feel so bad for them.

19 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

I wonder if that is because the US is afraid they would ask for asylum and refugee status?

That, or just “disappearing” into the country. There were news reports about this recently regarding Ukrainian crew aboard cargo ships being prohibited from getting off their ships on U.S. port calls, although they have visas that allow them to do so. I think it’s shameful. 

https://www.wsj.com/amp/articles/some-ukrainian-and-russian-seafarers-blocked-from-entering-u-s-11647053284

3 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

That, or just “disappearing” into the country. There were news reports about this recently regarding Ukrainian crew aboard cargo ships being prohibited from getting off their ships on U.S. port calls, although they have visas that allow them to do so. I think it’s shameful. 

https://www.wsj.com/amp/articles/some-ukrainian-and-russian-seafarers-blocked-from-entering-u-s-11647053284

Sadly, this is fairly common, as the US is not too receptive to mariners getting shore leave. Thinking back to the start of the pandemic with lots of ships sitting off the coast with over 100,000 crew trying to get repatriated. For many months, the US would not permit them ashore to fly out.

Viking quickly gave up and sailed across the Atlantic to Portsmouth, where UK welcomed all crew members that could fly home.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1