Cruise Critic Sailing Aboard Pride of America 4/9 - Ask Us Your Questions

32 minutes ago, CruiseCriticAaron said:

Great question -- and the answer varies by port.

In Kahului, I took both taxis and Ubers -- and taxis were the easiest by far as they're allowed into the Port area, whereas Ubers seem to pick up about a half-mile away at Long's Drugs. My taxi ride was also cheaper -- about $11 to the airport each direction, not including tip. Bring cash; drivers are really reluctant to take credit cards for the short trip.

Here in Hilo, there is a free shuttle to car rental agencies, presumably at Hilo Airport, which is just a stone's throw away. Naturally, I didn't rent a car today!

Both Hilo and Kahului are industrial ports; I definitely recommend taking a shore excursion or renting a car. We walked around today and found a nice place to eat lunch, but probably should have taken a tour.

Here's a sign today in Hilo advertising the rental car shuttle:

hilo_shuttle.jpg

Thanks so much! Will you update us on situation on stops in Maui & Kauai, as well, please? 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Cindy said:

We’re on the October 1st cruise that is staying overnight in Hilo and skipping Kona. We’re thinking about having dinner off the ship that night.

Really? Why are they skipping Kona?  Is it only that one week?  I'm booked two weeks later.

Good news is the ship is only 50% capacity.   Bad news is the ship is understaffed and those working are over worked.  This has not been a smooth sailing and we are onboard with friends who have sailed POA twice before and they are not happy either. NCL has a lot of work ahead to iron out the problems they are having.   Can’t confirm but we heard some workers quit and walked off the ship before leaving Honolulu.

10 hours ago, cwms said:

Good news is the ship is only 50% capacity.   Bad news is the ship is understaffed and those working are over worked.  This has not been a smooth sailing and we are onboard with friends who have sailed POA twice before and they are not happy either. NCL has a lot of work ahead to iron out the problems they are having.   Can’t confirm but we heard some workers quit and walked off the ship before leaving Honolulu.

This is very much a return-to-service cruise and they're definitely still working out the kinks, which does include some venues being short-staffed.

I haven't heard anything about crew walking off the ship in Honolulu. I'd be very cautious about spreading information that can't be confirmed.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, mfon1 said:

Yes, we sail on June 4th and are anxiously awaiting our flights booked through NCL. I guess if you haven't received yours yet, I won't get mine soon either. We are hoping to go to Pearl Harbor on debarkation day. This Saturday is the first day we can book on the national parks site, so we'll go ahead and book a morning time and hope our flight home allows us time to do so.

We did Pearl Harbor on the last day through NCL. It was an all day tour.  There is a lot to see there. We ended up having to book a red eye flight home.  Glad we did it, but we were up almost 24 hours.  Just something to consider.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, mfon1 said:

Yes, we sail on June 4th and are anxiously awaiting our flights booked through NCL. I guess if you haven't received yours yet, I won't get mine soon either. We are hoping to go to Pearl Harbor on debarkation day. This Saturday is the first day we can book on the national parks site, so we'll go ahead and book a morning time and hope our flight home allows us time to do so.

You should be getting your flights in a week or so.  We were told 35 to 45 days out and got them somewhere around 48 days.  We are flying home to the East Coast and our flights are true Red Eyes, going out between 8:30-9P.  I wouldn’t be surprised if yours are similar.  It DOES give us a day of touring though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2spring said:

You should be getting your flights in a week or so.  We were told 35 to 45 days out and got them somewhere around 48 days.  We are flying home to the East Coast and our flights are true Red Eyes, going out between 8:30-9P.  I wouldn’t be surprised if yours are similar.  It DOES give us a day of touring though.

Thank you. That’s what I figured would be the case which is fine with me. Then we could enjoy the day in Honolulu and hopefully sleep on the way home. I’ve been checking out google flights to see what the possibilities are. Let’s see which one we get. We may wind up booking a tour through NCL anyway because of the luggage situation. I wouldn’t know what else to do with them while we take a taxi/Uber to Pearl Harbor. 

17 hours ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

What would you like to know?  Perhaps we can help.

Thank you. I was just wondering if there were shuttles, taxis, or ubers at all the ports taking passengers to get rental cars. 

1 hour ago, Gracelyn said:

Is anyone else having a problem finding this thread. I don’t see it on the topics threads I have to keep going into my profile where I have commented on it to read updates. What am I missing?

Gracelyn 

I haven't been getting notifications either, so I just saved it as a favorite on my computer and have been checking manually for updates.  Glad I'm not the only one having issues 🙂 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, tinmanp7 said:

Could you please check the taxi situation for us tomorrow in Kaua’i? We are going to need to get a taxi for our private excursion when we are there. Thanks in advance.

Yes our family has a private excursion as well requiring a taxi in Kaui. Thanks for checking for us. 

2 hours ago, Paula_MacFan said:

I haven't been getting notifications either, so I just saved it as a favorite on my computer and have been checking manually for updates.  Glad I'm not the only one having issues 🙂 

Phew it’s not me…it’s weird. Where are people seeing this?? It’s not in the thread

4 hours ago, Gracelyn said:

Is anyone else having a problem finding this thread. I don’t see it on the topics threads I have to keep going into my profile where I have commented on it to read updates. What am I missing?

Gracelyn 

It shows up as the 1st topic on my page when I log onto NCL

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, GeroWA said:

34 minutes ago, GeroWA said:

Hmmm it doesn’t show up anywhere on mine. Really odd 

• Like 1