Magaritaville at Sea Postponed/Cancelled

jamdizzle

Did anyone else get an email saying that their cruise was cancelled and the new inaugural cruise date is now May 14th? I was scheduled to cruise on May 8th with my mom (a huge parrothead) and got an email that everything was pushed back due to "supply chain issues" this morning. When I called customer service for a refund I was told customer service wasn't working today and they'd reach out to me Monday. Not two hours later I got an email from Margaritaville at Sea saying they were so excited to cruise with me on May 8th and they attached my confirmation and a luggage tag?

Honestly at this point I just want my money back and had a bad feeling about the cruise when I called this past Monday to get some information on beverage packages and was told once again that customer service wasn't working that day. Is this like some sort of scam or do they just truly not have their stuff together? Also if anyone has any thoughts on how to get a refund because that seems like it's not going to be an easy process, would appreciate it!

I was on the May 2 sailing. Customer Service was open. I confirmed with a rep that i can get a refund or reshedule by 12/22 and receive a cabin at no charge. Also the 100 dollar deposit i put down will be converted to onboard credit. Am supposed to get a call so we can reschedule. I will wait and see how it goes. I have had not problems with Buffet's other ventures, so i am hopeful that things will work out. We will see.

1 minute ago, dukebball said:

I was on the May 2 sailing. Customer Service was open. I confirmed with a rep that i can get a refund or reshedule by 12/22 and receive a cabin at no charge. Also the 100 dollar deposit i put down will be converted to onboard credit. Am supposed to get a call so we can reschedule. I will wait and see how it goes. I have had not problems with Buffet's other ventures, so i am hopeful that things will work out. We will see.

Oh this is helpful! When I called this morning they told me Customer Service wasn't open. I will try again now. We're huge Parrotheads, who have loved his other ventures, so had hopes for this one, but for now I just want my money back and will wait to hear some firsthand takes of how it all is before booking again.

Thanks for your response!

19 hours ago, jamdizzle said:

Is this like some sort of scam or do they just truly not have their stuff together? 

I don't think that its a scam. Jimmy Buffett wouldn't put his name behind a product that's not legit. 

But I do believe that the company was too overconfident with the very tight time line that they proposed to transition from BPCL to Margaritaville at Sea. For months, people in these boards have been questioning how they were going to pull it off, even without "supply chain issues". So its not a big shocker that its been pushed back. 

In all fairness, its not the first time (and it wont be the last time) that a ship is not ready when promised. Even large, well established cruise lines have needed to push back their inaugural sailings because the ship wasn't ready on time, (or the ship sails while finishing work is still being performed). One of my best friends was scheduled to sail on the Disney Wish this summer and their sailing was canceled because the ship won't be ready as scheduled either. He now has a credit worth $12K between what he paid and the FCC that Disney offered! 

I'm keeping a close eye on this new cruise line, but I'm going to wait until the ship actually sails before I book something. Good luck, and I hope you get to cruise soon! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tapi said:

I don't think that its a scam. Jimmy Buffett wouldn't put his name behind a product that's not legit. 

That's fair! I'm just frustrated after MULTIPLE calls and emails to their customer service I keep getting the runaround. First told "customer service isn't working today" and then on a later call "oh this is customer service but the department that issues refunds isn't in today." You would think after sending an email about cruises being canceled you'd have your customer service team ready to go to process rebookings and refunds that day. Hoping I can get some satisfaction soon. It just leaves a sour taste in my mouth, especially as a fan of all things Jimmy Buffett (was raised a fan by two hardcore Parrotheads!).

And I already have a replacement cruise booked for the same time period with a known entity, so will definitely be enjoying that cruise!

• Like 1

Good luck trying to get a refund out of them. If possible, you should rebook a new date and get the freebies they're offering (although I'm not clear what is free if you've already paid.)

I plan to sail with them later this year but not until they've rebranded and are actually sailing again.

On 4/11/2022 at 11:24 PM, KINGBOBOFTHENORTH said:

Good luck trying to get a refund out of them. If possible, you should rebook a new date and get the freebies they're offering (although I'm not clear what is free if you've already paid.)

I plan to sail with them later this year but not until they've rebranded and are actually sailing again.

They're offering a free cabin and all the money already paid to go to onboard credit, which I guess is nice but I certainly don't need $600+ in onboard credit for a two night cruise!

Still waiting on my refund so will be calling them again today!

• Like 1

On 4/9/2022 at 6:11 AM, Tapi said:

I'm keeping a close eye on this new cruise line, but I'm going to wait until the ship actually sails before I book something. Good luck, and I hope you get to cruise soon! 

Do you think that Jimmy or any other celebrity who has their name attached to an enterprise actually have any part of running the company.  He has just sold his name to a group of entrepreneurs who claim to have experience in setting up a new cruise company.  

DON

On 4/14/2022 at 11:44 AM, donaldsc said:

Do you think that Jimmy or any other celebrity who has their name attached to an enterprise actually have any part of running the company.  He has just sold his name to a group of entrepreneurs who claim to have experience in setting up a new cruise company. 

In my opinion they're lending their name to an existing operation with existing management. If it goes well, they might invest in their own ship. I believe Disney began this way with allowing Premier to use their characters on old ships. When it was success, Disney figured they could do it on their own with a new ship.

On 4/14/2022 at 9:31 AM, jamdizzle said:

I certainly don't need $600+ in onboard credit for a two night cruise!

Order the most expensive bottles of wine that are available!  And, maybe order some more and take them ashore and pay whatever duties may be charged?  

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

There web site does show May 14th.

It does, but it also showed my date until it didn't.

But hoping for a successful inaugural sale and successful resolution for those of us that had our cruises canceled.

Anyone who books a first cruise on a line that has never cruised before on a line w one old ship that they are updating and on a line that is using the name of an admittedly excellent artist to get passengers has to be a bit of an optimist.

DON

1 hour ago, donaldsc said:

Anyone who books a first cruise on a line that has never cruised before on a line w one old ship that they are updating and on a line that is using the name of an admittedly excellent artist to get passengers has to be a bit of an optimist.

DON

I am a bit of an optimist! Thanks, that was helpful!

• Like 1

On 4/28/2022 at 10:58 AM, jamdizzle said:

It does, but it also showed my date until it didn't.

But hoping for a successful inaugural sale and successful resolution for those of us that had our cruises canceled.

My family is booked for the 20th. Maybe that will be its first cruise???🤒