Bar etiquette at CocoCay

Had a dispute about a bar seat at the swim up bar at CocoCay  in November . Wife had to leave to go to restroom and we put her stuff on the bar in front of the stool. Guy who was there hours earlier comes back with his female friend and she sits in her seat. I said stool was for my wife and she ignores me until my wife comes back. Guy gets ugly and I tell him would you rather my wife urinate in the pool? Asked for security and they did not respond timely and we both left. Was I was wrong to try to save her seat? Going next month to to CocoCay and don't want a repeat.

4 minutes ago, coaster said:

Had a dispute about a bar seat at the swim up bar at CocoCay  in November . Wife had to leave to go to restroom and we put her stuff on the bar in front of the stool. Guy who was there hours earlier comes back with his female friend and she sits in her seat. I said stool was for my wife and she ignores me until my wife comes back. Guy gets ugly and I tell him would you rather my wife urinate in the pool? Asked for security and they did not respond timely and we both left. Was I was wrong to try to save her seat? Going next month to to CocoCay and don't want a repeat.

I don’t think you were wrong. Unfortunately there are jerks everywhere.

• Like 7

Just wish security was closer by. It was ugly and I was glad to leave this situation as soon as possible. Glad this guy was on another ship where I never got to see him again.

• Like 4

Just now, coaster said:

Just wish security was closer by. It was ugly and I was glad to leave this situation as soon as possible. Glad this guy was on another ship where I never got to see him again.

In my profession we refer to this as SPD, I will let you figure that out on your own (the only hint being the first term is “small” 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, AlohaLivin said:

In my profession we refer to this as SPD, I will let you figure that out on your own (the only hint being the first term is “small” 😉

Small that rude people should get their way?   Maybe why they do it and bully others with no intervention from security? Jerks being allowed to do this with no security is an issue to me.

Edited by coaster

Security is all over the late night dance areas onboard and the outdoor pool areas on the ship. Maybe posting one or two of them at the swim up bar would help?

Edited by coaster
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, coaster said:

In the future, in a crowded bar I would ask the bartender if they can hold your seat before leaving for the restroom.  They always say yes.  Then, when anyone walks up and tries to take the spot, they have to own the situation.  Always done this at Dazzles (when my wife wanted to dance for a song as an example) which has a tiny bar that could get really crowded.  Bartenders were always more

than happy to let others know that spot was taken.  

• Like 4

Good to know! Just never had an issue before and it takes only one bad experience to think outside the box. Thanks for sharing..... Royal security staff can not be counted on.

Edited by coaster

31 minutes ago, coaster said:

Small that rude people should get their way?   Maybe why they do it and bully others with no intervention from security? Jerks being allowed to do this with no security is an issue to me.

The first letter of the disorder that men like that jerk have stands for SMALL and the last one is disorder…SPD. Never mind

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

3 minutes ago, coaster said:

Hope you go back to your bunker and defend rude people.

I think you’re kinda missing the point here, coaster - he’s saying the guy who tried to take your wife’s seat had small… something… syndrome.  He’s agreeing with you, dude. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Shannon12 said:

You took what she said the wrong way. She was saying that other man was SPD. Not you. 

Sorry, thought is was against me. My bad and I apologize so much... I admit when I am wrong.

Edited by coaster
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, coaster said:

Sorry, thought is was against me. My bad and I apologize so much... I admit when I am wrong.

For what it’s worth, I totally agree with you too - if you were still there, that dude never should’ve done that!  I was just there two weeks ago, and that pool bar scenes kinda intense.  Take me back to chill island! 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DeenOnDeck said:

For what it’s worth, I totally agree with you too - if you were still there, that dude never should’ve done that!  I was just there two weeks ago, and that pool bar scenes kinda intense.  Take me back to chill island! 

We were on the beach and things were all good! Went to floating bar when we first got there and so perfect! Seeing small sharks near the bar was so sweet. Just problems started after laying out on beach and going to swim up bar where the problem with getting up from there to urinate is an issue to some cruisers.

15 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Those same people probably have pool chairs "reserved" on board ship while they're at CocoCay, too

Not one of those folks. Not a top deck couple and usually like the shaded promenade deck.

My wife did the right thing and urinated outside the pool.  Other's might urinate in the pool there to keep their seat. Just a hostile area with no ship security based on our experience.

Edited by coaster

From what I saw of the swim up bar, it was like MTV Spring Break.  
A.  I’d never hang out in the middle of that.

B.  I would not expect reasonable behavior out of anyone there so……

C.  I’d never hang out in the middle of that!!!

Oh and when we were observing from afar, there were several security people there and were all over a group of bachelor party crazies.  Came very close to kicking them out.  So they are around.

Edited by poocher
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, poocher said:

From what I saw of the swim up bar, it was like MTV Spring Break.  
A.  I’d never hang out in the middle of that.

B.  I would not expect reasonable behavior out of anyone there so……

C.  I’d never hang out in the middle of that!!!

This was first part of November last year. Not close to spring break. Just a nasty cruiser from Independence and he got away with it due to lack of ship security on CocoCay.