Passports required for Victoria port (closed loop)?

I have gotten a lot of mixed information on this, so I am looking for recent personal experiences. I have booked a closed loop Alaskan cruise in July that begins and ends in Seattle. We have one stop in Victoria which is our only non-American port. Are passports needed to enter Victoria from the ship? (Note that I am asking if they are required, not if they are recommended and that I am also referring to entering Canada from the ship and not from a train excursion in another port.)

I am sailing Carnival if that makes a difference. I know some cruise lines may have different rules. I've been told by some people that they needed passports for Victoria and others have said they did not and I've also read excursion reviews that mention going through customs entering Victoria (but this review was from 9 years ago).

I am open to getting passports so that's not really an issue, but I am not 100% sure we'd have time to get them and I want to set my mind at ease in case we cannot.

Worst case scenario, I am okay staying on the ship since the port time is only 4 hours anyway, but I like to at least see a port when I am there.

2 hours ago, Pyxie said:

I have gotten a lot of mixed information on this, so I am looking for recent personal experiences. I have booked a closed loop Alaskan cruise in July that begins and ends in Seattle. We have one stop in Victoria which is our only non-American port. Are passports needed to enter Victoria from the ship? (Note that I am asking if they are required, not if they are recommended and that I am also referring to entering Canada from the ship and not from a train excursion in another port.)

I am sailing Carnival if that makes a difference. I know some cruise lines may have different rules. I've been told by some people that they needed passports for Victoria and others have said they did not and I've also read excursion reviews that mention going through customs entering Victoria (but this review was from 9 years ago).

I am open to getting passports so that's not really an issue, but I am not 100% sure we'd have time to get them and I want to set my mind at ease in case we cannot.

Worst case scenario, I am okay staying on the ship since the port time is only 4 hours anyway, but I like to at least see a port when I am there.

Carnivals website says yes.

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1401/~/travel-documentation%3A-u.s.-permanent-residents

How accurate the website? Who knows.  

36 minutes ago, em-sk said:

Carnivals website says yes.

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1401/~/travel-documentation%3A-u.s.-permanent-residents

How accurate the website? Who knows.  

You're quoting the wrong Carnival page. The rules on the page you cited are for US permanent residents. (AKA green card holders.)

If you look at the requirements for US citizens you'll see that passports are not required for a closed loop cruise with a port call in Canada. 

3 hours ago, Pyxie said:

No, as a US citizen you don't need a passport for this cruise on Carnival. An official birth certificate and government issued photo ID such as a drivers license are sufficient. (Note that I do recommend a passport but it's not required.)

Some cruise lines, typically upscale and luxury lines often require a passport regardless, but generally not mass market lines like Carnival.

It doesn't matter if you are planning to disembark in Victoria. You're in Canada when the ship enters Canada's territorial waters so you have to be in compliance with all documentation requirements even if you are staying in the ship. Without the proper documents you won't be allowed to embark in Seattle. 

Carnival's requirements are documented on their website. Look for the page that answers the question "What travel documents do I need  to bring?"

Edited by njhorseman

• 1 month later...
On 4/10/2022 at 10:15 AM, 5waldos said:

No passport necessary but you must complete the ArriveCan prior to boarding the ship. At least as of now- who knows in the future. And even next week is the future. 

But we can’t use ArriveCAN unless it’s within 3 days of the Victoria port of call which is at the end, as it is for most Alaska cruises. So I guess we do that onboard prior to getting to Victoria?

den

@Denny01 you may find this link useful. The ArriveCAN app is supposed to be filled in before boarding ones cruise.

https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/phac-aspc/documents/services/publications/diseases-conditions/entering-leaving-canada-cruise-ship-covid-19/travellers-entering-by-cruise-ship-en.pdf

Cheers, h.

4 hours ago, Denny01 said:

But we can’t use ArriveCAN unless it’s within 3 days of the Victoria port of call which is at the end, as it is for most Alaska cruises. So I guess we do that onboard prior to getting to Victoria?

den

No, it has to be completed within 3 days of boarding your ship. You won't be permitted to embark without it. See what I've marked in red below.

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/coronavirus-disease-covid-19/arrivecan.html

Who needs to use ArriveCAN

All travellers, with limited exceptions, whether entering Canada by air, land, rail or marine vessel, must use ArriveCAN unless you're exempt from this requirement due to an accessibility need.

You'll need to submit your information within 72 hours:

• before your arrival to Canada
  • and/or before boarding a cruise ship destined for Canada

3 hours ago, njhorseman said:

No, it has to be completed within 3 days of boarding your ship. You won't be permitted to embark without it. See what I've marked in red below.

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/coronavirus-disease-covid-19/arrivecan.html

Who needs to use ArriveCAN

All travellers, with limited exceptions, whether entering Canada by air, land, rail or marine vessel, must use ArriveCAN unless you're exempt from this requirement due to an accessibility need.

You'll need to submit your information within 72 hours:

• before your arrival to Canada
  • and/or before boarding a cruise ship destined for Canada

Thanks. I didn’t read it all!