Citavechia to Rome Airport - How Much Time To Allow?

Longwood50

Its best to allow at least an hour for travel time plus the time to go through customs.  It gets pretty crazy in port, especially if other ships are in, and the airport is really busy.   You may want to book a ride like Rome in Limo to be waiting for you rather than hailing a cab when you get there. 

Personally I would not book a 10.20 flight, you will probably not be off the ship till 7 -7.30 and as previous poster has said traffic is crazy. You have to find your ride and allow an hour minimum to get to the airport.

I think you will have plenty of time. I wouldn't hesitate to book a 10h20 flight given the ship docks at 5. In another context Celebrity have confirmed self-disembarkation walk offs will start by 6h30 latest which gives you more than enough time. (OK, my example is Venice but same arrival time and same constraints, ie airport remote from port, hence early arrivals)

I've done the journey in less than an hour but even if it's double that you'll be at the airport by 9.

4 hours ago, Boycey said:

I think you will have plenty of time. I wouldn't hesitate to book a 10h20 flight given the ship docks at 5. In another context Celebrity have confirmed self-disembarkation walk offs will start by 6h30 latest which gives you more than enough time. (OK, my example is Venice but same arrival time and same constraints, ie airport remote from port, hence early arrivals)

I've done the journey in less than an hour but even if it's double that you'll be at the airport by 9.

Customs alone in Rome can take one hour 

We are in the similar situation with our ship arriving at 5 am. We have a noon flight booked and we were told that we would never make it. Walk off likely won’t start until 7:30. I have a ride scheduled for then. An hour to the airport puts us there 8:30-8:45. We are going to take the chance with the noon flight. We are flying to Madrid so we have a later option if we miss this one. Not sure about a 10:20 tho. I asked our TA and she said that Celebrity says not to book before 11:30 so 🤷🏻‍♀️

Edited by Purplsmurf

We always take a private car to the airport for just us, or friends.  That helps with not having to wait for others.  However, in these unique times, having as much time as possible would be the best scenario.  So much can happen if your window is small.  Romeinlimo was much more expensive than Stefano's RomeCabs and a few others for price, so do your research as everything changes.  I have booked a private car for my cruise, checking prices with several good companies that offer transfers.  

Good Luck!

Edited by Lastdance

We are on this same cruise and decided against a 10:20 am flight as just too unlikely. We are going to enjoy an extra day in Rome, then fly home the next day. Ours is a bit more of an issue since we are flying to the USA and it was the only flight that day so missing would be very problematic. Good luck with your decision!

Our ship docked in Civitavecchia at exactly 8:00am and we made an 11:25am flight on Delta to Atlanta. We were second in line for self assist debarkation and we were literally off the ship and on the sidewalk 15 minutes after docking (our itinerary was contained in the Schengen Area).

We pre-booked ground transportation from the port to the airport through Stefano's Rome Cabs. They were waiting for us with a little sign right on the sidewalk as we exited the terminal. Our car was parked literally across the street. We made it to the FCO airport at around 9:25am.

The most time consuming part of our morning was traversing the security checkpoint and pre-departure customs checkpoint at the airport. Both took a long time. We made it to our gate about 50 minutes before departure, with a few minutes to hit the restroom and purchase a few last minute snacks before boarding started.

Although we made it OK, I wouldn't book such an early flight ever again. One small snafu and we would've missed our flight. For us, it was the only nonstop flight returning to Atlanta (our hometown) which is why I booked it, but next time I'll stay an extra day in Rome before attempting an early flight again. 

Edited by Tapi
  • Like 1

It is realistic that you will make it, let's say you are in the Car by 07:00 and with a worst case scenario you will hit traffic, you should be at the airport by 08:45 and if things go smooth somewhere between 08:00 and 08:15.

Most important is good preperation by arranging transport before with a reliable company that will be waiting for you at the Pier.  Of course if you are flying Business Class / hold a frequent flyer Status card that enables you to use the fast track at the airport this will help you to be less stressed as well 😉 

It really depends  of the day of the week for traffic . Sunday, very little traffic.  We have seen traffic backed up from accidents for many k's.    If you are flying business class, you will 

be able to use the fast lines though the two early checkpoints..  Check in can be slow at times.  They do not open counters until

3 hours before your flight.  Of times there are earlier flights still in que, and the wait is long.

Then you have two other check points to deal with,  plus one at the gate.  Give yourself

enough, time.  Stress can make the flight harder.