What food items are considered HAL Signature items in the MDR?

zhuangcorp

HAL actually does a very good job with their liver and onions- a Dutch inspired treat.  Once a cruise is good for me, but it always surprises when I order it how good they make this item one rarely finds on menus any longer - used to be a staple in many households for the WWII War-Baby generation. .  

Agree, their very onion soup is very good, though I would always order it from room service along with one of their very good club sandwiches as an at least once a cruise treat too.

Edited by OlsSalt
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Signature food items for HAL?  A unique question that I don't recall anyone asking.

My experiences:

Dutch Pea Soup

Liver and Onions

The special rolls that are served when visiting certain areas, i.e. Panama Rolls

Swedish Pancakes with Lingonberry Sauce

Everything that I have tried in the Grand Dutch Cafe on the Nieuw Statendam

Warm Bread Pudding with Vanilla Sauce

Croissants (as well as most of what their bakers make)

Dive-in Burgers and their French Fries

Escargots  (What is interesting to me is that the recipe differs from the MDR as  

compared with the Pinnacle Grill as compared with Sel de Mer.  Presentation also

differs depending on the venue.  But, all are excellent.)  

Dover Sole in Sel de Mer

1 hour ago, OlsSalt said:

their very good club sandwiches

I have ordered this from Room Service many times and have never been disappointed.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, zhuangcorp said:

When do you go to the Dutch Cafe? Is it more of a afternoon snack type place? I saw a lot of donuts and cookies, but didn't see so much savory lunch type items. 

Two popular websites created by HAL cruisers have menus and hours.  Halfacts.com and Roger Jett Photography. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mary229 said:

...We really like their crème brûlée... 

I specifically ask for it every night. Even when it is not on the menu. (DW just rolls her eyes.)

Edited by ShipWalker
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, ShipWalker said:

I specifically ask for it every night. Even when it is not on the menu. (DW just rolls her eyes.)

You can ask for crème brûlée any night...even when it's not on the menu?!?!?   LOL   How did I not know that!  

Edited by ehyup71

Just completed 21 days on the NS. Our favorites:

Husband - seafood = swordfish, corvina and tuna (cooked perfectly), shrimp, fish cakes.

Me - beef = Crusted Prime rib, Rudi's bbq ribs, Rudi's brisket - not a fan of the strip.

Kristen Tish Croissant Pudding - amazing hot or cold (enough for two people)

Surf and Turf on Gala night was delicious.

French onion soup is my favorite, but I like all Holland soups

From the Lido - favorite night was three different curry options on the Far East Station

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

…their very onion soup is very good, though I would always order it from room service along with one of their very good club sandwiches as an at least once a cruise treat too.

YES!!! Me, too! With a slice of that delicious chocolate cake for dessert. So good😀

Edited by syesmar
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, zhuangcorp said:

Wow that's a great tip! What other secrets should we know about??

Some say they ask for what the crew is eating that night - and get certain Indonesian or Filipino items. Never tried this myself, but others have reported this MDR option here. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, syesmar said:

YES!!! Me, too! With a slice of that delicious cake for dessert. So good😀

Oh my goodness, of course. I forgot we would always add that too - rich, lush, moist chocolate with raspberry smear. Hope all these items remain on their changing room service menu - it was a winning package for those nights one just wanted to dine in. 

• Like 2

The eggs bhurgi in the MDR breakfast is the most wonderful thing on the morning menu.

I received (possibly incorrect) info that the vegetarian/Indonesian menu items for dinner had to be requested the night before. But if the eggs bhurgi at breakfast is any indication, it’s got to be pretty darn tasty.

(Note: the mushroom streudel with curry sauce in the MDR is curry abuse. An inedible combo of flavors, and I adore most curries and trying new foods.)

A note overall: the earlier we ate dinner, the better the MDR food quality seemed. Makes sense, since items like Beef Tenderloin are likely prepared using sous-vide… and by the time it gets to 8:00, it’s been sitting at temperature long enough to notice the characteristic change in texture. 

1 hour ago, zhuangcorp said:

Are items like escargot and bread pudding available even if they are not on the menu?

Bread pudding is available at the ice cream station starting at lunch and throughout the day but you might need to ask if as it may be behind the servers.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, zhuangcorp said:

where is the ice cream station?

There are two, mirrored on each side of the Lido Market buffet.  If one is not open, go around to the other side.  The ice cream station has juices in the showcase for breakfast but the rest of the day is desserts.  There are also three kinds of cookies also.

Edited by Crew News
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, zhuangcorp said:

I'm looking forward to the onion soup, caesar salad, escargot, creme brulet, egg burjh, bread pudding. 

Below is a link to the menus for this season's 7-Day Caribbean cruises.  Note that Club Orange menus differ only by an additional entree being available.

Dining Menus

Edited by Crew News
  • Thanks 1