Only allowed small amounts of food due to dietary restrictions..is kids menu an option

It can be hard to get smaller / half portions in some dining rooms.  Don’t sweat it.

And you don’t have to share your reasons.  Order what you want. Eat what you want.  Don’t deny yourself an item / course because you can’t clean every plate.

I left food on my plate and would say, thank you, that was good, now I am saving room for the next course.  Smile.  And no problem.  Especially for-fee dining.  (I did get half a lovely filet mignon boxed to go when I couldn’t finish it.  It was great the next morning for breakfast.)

You don’t have to order kids’ food. But you can if you want to.

Bon Voyage and Bon Appetit.

Dpending what your diatary needs are the children menu is for sure not your solution as your concern is quantity. Hence, you can speak to the Wait Staff / veneue manager right at the begining about your concerns and needs and then a solution will be found for you. Then again if still to much apaears on your plate, no one forces you to finish it.

• Like 1

I went cruising 3 months after bariatric surgery and it was fine. I ate some protein from an appetizer and some protein and a bit of vegetables from the main dish, and skipped bread. The waiters didn't even ask me anything! They did try to serve me bread every night and didn't seem to catch up on that I never ate it. And I did eat a lot slower than others at the table but I told the waiter he could serve them dessert while I was still working on dinner and that was fine.

I ended up eating some eggs and maybe bacon at breakfast, then two protein mini-meals between breakfast and dinner, then dinner, and then at night I'd have some protein hot chocolate or a protein bar if I needed more protein. I also had a few bites of sugar-free dessert or ice cream or whatever, and sometimes a bite or two of potatoes at dinner.

Once I got a little excited about frozen yogurt and had more than a few bites and that was bad at only 3 months out and made me sick, but I bounced back after a few hours.

• Like 1

On 4/10/2022 at 9:32 PM, motheroftwocats814 said:

Hi All-

We are not cruising again until 2023 (boohoo) but I have some dietary restrictions where I can only eat a couple of ounces of food in one sitting.

I know at the Windjammer, I will be able to better control the amount of food.

But my concern is the main dining room and the specialty dining.

We love eating in those places and I am wondering if I would be able to order off the children's menu or get a half portion of something.

Any suggestions would be very helpful.

Thank you and happy cruising.

Order what you like and just eat what you can

Happy cruising

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I'm glad I was alerted to this thread.. I am planning a 2023 cruise as well (my first ever) and I will be 8-9 months post-op. 

I too am concerned about portion size and not wanting to waste food, so I was planning on sticking to the Lido Deck since it's buffet style.

And I already have a gallon water thermos since we need to drink 64oz a day.. my only question is about ice. 

But I will be on CCL Sunshine so I need to figure that out.. I want to be able to cap off with ice once it's melted. 

I cannot speak to CCL Sunshine but I drink a lot of water as well. With ice. From the ship's supply. See my signature for a list of ships I have tried. I am on a KETO based food lifestyle and in December I followed my routine of protein, low carb foods on the Rotterdam (HAL). My nutritionist (working for three years with her) said cruises are for "cheating" in moderation. I consumed NO BREAD for 11 nights with an occasional dessert. My bread and related carb consumption is down about 94% since 2019. I really do not miss it any more.

Jim

On 4/10/2022 at 9:32 PM, motheroftwocats814 said:

Hi All-

We are not cruising again until 2023 (boohoo) but I have some dietary restrictions where I can only eat a couple of ounces of food in one sitting.

I know at the Windjammer, I will be able to better control the amount of food.

But my concern is the main dining room and the specialty dining.

We love eating in those places and I am wondering if I would be able to order off the children's menu or get a half portion of something.

Any suggestions would be very helpful.

Thank you and happy cruising.

Hey Mama, 

Bariatric Patient Restaurant Special Menu Request Card (2 Pack) https://a.co/d/hPR9ayv

4 Compartment Detachable, Stackable, and Portion Controlled Food & Powder Storage Containers by BariatricPal (Blue-Teal) https://a.co/d/5sVu6ay

^^That's for if you just want to stick to the Lido Deck

Mindful Eating Portion Control Flatware - for weight loss bariatric diet https://a.co/d/1SwGRdi

I was told those are helpful so you don't take too big of a spoonful and hurt yourself..

Search for Bariatric Surgery Must Haves on Amazon.. You'll find a lot more other stuff too.  

Shortly after having Bariatric Sleeve Surgery I went on a cruise.  I ate in any and all restaurants. I just happened to waste or sent a lot to the recycle bin a lot of the food.  In some cases, my wife and I just split her plate.  But, we still wound-up wasting some food.  I wouldn't worry about it.  Just eat what you can/should and the recycle bin will take care of the rest.