Only allowed small amounts of food due to dietary restrictions..is kids menu an option

Hi All-

We are not cruising again until 2023 (boohoo) but I have some dietary restrictions where I can only eat a couple of ounces of food in one sitting.

I know at the Windjammer, I will be able to better control the amount of food.

But my concern is the main dining room and the specialty dining.

We love eating in those places and I am wondering if I would be able to order off the children's menu or get a half portion of something.

Any suggestions would be very helpful.

Thank you and happy cruising.

4 minutes ago, motheroftwocats814 said:

Hi All-

We are not cruising again until 2023 (boohoo) but I have some dietary restrictions where I can only eat a couple of ounces of food in one sitting.

I know at the Windjammer, I will be able to better control the amount of food.

But my concern is the main dining room and the specialty dining.

We love eating in those places and I am wondering if I would be able to order off the children's menu or get a half portion of something.

Any suggestions would be very helpful.

Thank you and happy cruising.

I think you should speak to the head waiter the first day and let him/her know your situation. From what I hear they try very hard to make things work for the passenger

• Like 6

The kids menu is basically just like any kids menu in a restaurant and I would avoid it. Just order the main dish and maybe ask for no carbs or more veg. Stuff like that. Oh, don't be afraid to split a plate with someone at your table. Someone is always looking for that other half of the steak. 😁

• Haha 2

The kiddie menu is horrible. I went with my 2 & 4 year old nieces and after stealing their parents food after seeing what showed up the first night their parents ordered from the regular one for them. 

I've ordered appetizers portion of main menu items before so you should be able to do that. Though sometimes it comes out full price. 

If I had to take a guess I don't think they'd charge you kid prices and specialty places. 

Edited by smplybcause

I often order just two appetizers and although the waiters are always trying to get me to eat more, I just say that that's all the food I can enjoy right now. I've been known to take "doggie bags" if I think I might want something more later.

• Like 2

One of my cruising buddies has Celiac disease and she carries a laminated card that shows what she can and can't eat. She reviews it with the Head Waiter at the start of each cruise and shows it to their server at each meal as a reminder. The staff wants to make it an enjoyable good cruise for you and will honor your dietary concerns and needs.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

If you had bariatric surgery or something, you should know by 2023 what your food tolerances and amounts are. You can order stuff, just cut it in half, depending on what you want a taste of. You don't have to eat it all. It will be fine. :classic_smile:

• Like 7

I can understand that many people don’t want to waste food they know they cannot eat.  The wait staff want you to be happy.  If you explain your restrictions, they will do whatever they can to comply.  I expect you can ask for half or childrens portions of your meals (not childrens meals, just that portion size). 

I'm not really sure what a half portion is?  They cut the steak in half?  Give you half pork chop or only half baked potato?  

You have many suggestions, but honestly, stay away from the kids chicken nuggets, order the plate, and eat what you can.  You are on a cruise, and not a restaurant.  Don't feel obligated to finish, and don't worry about waste. 

• Like 1

Some dishes are easy to make 1/2 portions.  Others not so much.

Ask for half portions, which they will try to do, otherwise order what you want and eat what you can.

And, you can take the left overs for a later snack.

30 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

I'm not really sure what a half portion is?  They cut the steak in half?  Give you half pork chop or only half baked potato?  

You have many suggestions, but honestly, stay away from the kids chicken nuggets, order the plate, and eat what you can.  You are on a cruise, and not a restaurant.  Don't feel obligated to finish, and don't worry about waste. 

Yup, cut that steak in half.  That’s JUST what I was suggesting 🙄

Communicate. Once your table staff understand, you're golden. They are professionals.

Otherwise, they will think you don't like what you were served and will ask if you want something else.

And, as always, show appreciation for their efforts. They really will do whatever they can to help out. 

• Like 3

I have to do this on our recent cruises and I luckily have my husband who finishes anything I can't eat.  I do tell the wait staff what I can't have and they are really good with it on 4 separate sailings.  It is the reason why I gave a nice cash tip at the end of our cruises last fall and NYE in the MDR at night and why I always give a big tip at the specialty restaurants and commended them on the surveys by name.  On the Symphony, they were equally wonderful at all the dining venues we visited.  I just let them know what I can't eat and tell them I can't always finish and it is delicious.  

• Like 1

I have always ordered what I wanted/needed and only ate what I wanted. You will get questioned the first time you don’t finish your meal. Just explain you can’t eat very much at once and confirm the meal was in fact good! 

I can easily digest shrimp where chicken and beef upset my stomach. I typically order 5-6 shrimp with lemon as my protein and some steamed broccoli or carrots. I might have a taste of the sugar free dessert and then I’m done. Some nights my dinner is ready for me while other nights the waiter asks if I want my regular because my veggie is out, etc. 

5 hours ago, flamingos said:

Communicate. Once your table staff understand, you're golden. They are professionals.

Otherwise, they will think you don't like what you were served and will ask if you want something else.

And, as always, show appreciation for their efforts. They really will do whatever they can to help out. 

This exactly!

For the OP: If your restrictions are above the most usual (gluten free, etc.), please fill the Special Needs sheet, either way online or with your TA's help. Have a copy of the reception invoice of that document with you. At boarding day, go to the MDR as shortly as possible and speak with the MD. As Flamingos said, they're professionals and they'll to make the best possible for you!

While there are some desserts or some non alcoholic cocktails that may have such an appeal to some of us (I have certainly use some ones with no problem, like the yummy ice cream Sunday, whatever else its menu name!...), the kids menu is just a kid friendly "escape" for those little kids to have in occasion, not an adult sort of thing, so stay away from that.

Have a nice sailing and a nice day!...

• Like 1

Congratulations on your journey!

I suggest you search for menus on CC. You can create your own meal each time by taking items from appetizers and/or main dishes to create exactly what and how much you want and need.  Present it to the restaurant each morning and they'll gladly accommodate you.  You are paying for meals in your cruise fare.  Make it enjoyable!

• Like 1

I've cruised 4 times since having my bariatric surgery (4 years post op).  Now obviously I can eat more than a few ounces at this point but I can still only eat 1/3 or 1/4 of a dinner plate.  The kids menu sucks and never changes.

I just let my waiters know the first night I've had surgery and I don't eat a lot.  I forgot to the last cruise and the first night they kept asking me if everything was okay and if I wanted anything else. I had totally forgot that I didn't tell them because I'm so used to it now.  I let them know and it was never a problem.  I've tried to ask for smaller portions.  It never happens lol.  So just eat what you can 🙂

• Like 3

On 4/14/2022 at 7:34 AM, MaddyandMax said:

I've cruised 4 times since having my bariatric surgery (4 years post op).  Now obviously I can eat more than a few ounces at this point but I can still only eat 1/3 or 1/4 of a dinner plate.  The kids menu sucks and never changes.

I just let my waiters know the first night I've had surgery and I don't eat a lot.  I forgot to the last cruise and the first night they kept asking me if everything was okay and if I wanted anything else. I had totally forgot that I didn't tell them because I'm so used to it now.  I let them know and it was never a problem.  I've tried to ask for smaller portions.  It never happens lol.  So just eat what you can 🙂

Thanks so much for this info. By the time we cruise next October I will be more than 1.5 years post op. But as you can see I am planning very far ahead. Thanks

• Like 2