Anyone have a preference for Alaska in June - Majestic or Royal Princess?

tartana

Just curious if anyone has any pros or cons for either ship sailing Alaska in June - Either Majestic or Royal?  Thanks for any comments and suggestions. Or any JUNE Alaska comments in general would be appreciated as well. 

Usually the rule of thumb for Alaska is that itinerary trumps ship.  So I would double check what their itinerary is (compare port times, and if they go into Glacier Bay).  

After that I would prioritize, ship size (go for smaller so you can get closer to the sights), and if you are doing a balcony if you can get a covered balcony on one vs. the other.  

For us that meant the Grand's southbound cruise from Whittier to Vancouver in June.  But your mileage may vary.  

Edited by PhotoGal07
  • Like 1

Differences? The Majestic has Asian themed food; a Chinese restaurant and a Noodle Bar on deck. My choice for this year.

We were on the Grand in March and maintanence was long overdue and intrusively ongoing. But going for drydock in April, I heard. Funny how Coral says it was fine in December. Medallion functions on the Grand were poor. If you plan to try to use the Medallion functions, go the Majestic, it was built with it in mind. 

In a perfect world though, PhotoGal07 is right. Smaller ship the priority.

Edited by mtnesterz

5 minutes ago, mtnesterz said:

Differences? The Majestic has Asian themed food; a Chinese restaurant and a Noodle Bar on deck. My choice for this year.

We were on the Grand in March and maintanence was long overdue and intrusively ongoing. But going for drydock in April, I heard. Funny how Coral says it was fine in December. Medallion functions on the Grand were poor. If you plan to try to use the Medallion functions, go the Majestic, it was built with it in mind. 

I thought the ship was fine in December. I found nothing wrong with the ship - not only that, I thought she looked great. Medallion worked fine through out the entire ship - I was on the ship for 10 days.

I agree about the covered pool - the Grand does have it also.

22 hours ago, mtnesterz said:

There are brand new ships (Sky Princess) that are built with Medallion from Day 1 and it failed miserably recently. Anything technology has the potential to not work.

1 hour ago, Coral said:

There are brand new ships (Sky Princess) that are built with Medallion from Day 1 and it failed miserably recently. Anything technology has the potential to not work.

I try to keep my posts brief. I might have said a couple on our March cruise, on the Grand, reported that MedallionClass service was better on Royal Class ships. This was their fourth cruise since restart. Others said similar.

The cabin door opened and we could buy things with the Medallion. TV worked well. Wall panels, intuitive and helpful. Pre-cruise app, onboard reservations, excursions... useless. 

So, what to do? Cruise another line or hope for improvement and just roll with it? We are undecided.

Edited by mtnesterz

On 4/11/2022 at 9:11 AM, mtnesterz said:

We totally agree!  We were on the Grand in February.  She was in sad shape and the Medallion was hit and miss from the moment we got to the terminal.  Heard many people with issues on the Medallion.  Even my Elite BIL was put in as a new cruiser (blue medallion) and they never got it completely straightened out.

Does this pic not mean that only the Royal goes to the West from Vancouver?  Other sites I've seen show the Majestic doing the narrow passage above Vancouver when going Northbound? Just wondering...thnx all. 

Screen Shot 2022-04-14 at 8.31.39 PM.png

9 minutes ago, tartana said:

Does this pic not mean that only the Royal goes to the West from Vancouver?  Other sites I've seen show the Majestic doing the narrow passage above Vancouver when going Northbound? Just wondering...thnx all. 

Screen Shot 2022-04-14 at 8.31.39 PM.png

The bigger ships can not sail the narrow passage. There are limitations on the bigger ships on where they can sail.

On 4/12/2022 at 10:28 AM, szubieta said:

We totally agree!  We were on the Grand in February.  She was in sad shape and the Medallion was hit and miss from the moment we got to the terminal.  Heard many people with issues on the Medallion.  Even my Elite BIL was put in as a new cruiser (blue medallion) and they never got it completely straightened out.

I doubt the color of the Medallion had anything to do with the ship itself. It sounds like a technical issue with Princess's software or someone screwed up somewhere at Princess headquarters.