New CVS COVID testing rules?

Oldsweets

We have successfully used CVS since COVID testing was implemented. We are “now” finding that CVS  on its web  COVID test registration page a posted a new statement for quick test (not lab test) that test not valid for travel.  Why the change and is really accurate?  Has anyone tested under the new rules and successfully used cvs test results for boarding a cruise?  We are using Walgreens now when we can get an appointment but would like to have cvs as a cruise testing option as well.  We did make a half dozen phone calls into cvs and so far the only answers we could get is that cvs is running short of quick test and they will often go from 2 weeks out for test appointments to only next day appointments.  .   

We used CVS for our January Apex cruise.  They had the same statement on their website at that time.  This is because the rapid test is NOT valid for International travel.  If you are cruising into and out of the US to the Caribbean you will be fine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I can't say for sure if this is new, but I noticed it recently as well.  For example, if I go through looking for a CVS location near LAX, selecting for "Rapid Test," most of the locations show "Rapid-Result Test (Anitgen)" with the additional note: "Not accepted for travel."  But there is one location that describes the test the same way (Rapid-Result test (Antigen)), but with a different note: "Accepted for Most Travel."

If you get an answer, please pass it on.  In my own mind, I came to the conclusion that there are two possibilities.  Maybe it is a mistake, and all of their rapid Antigen tests are valid for most travel (but I am not prepared to take a chance on that).  Or there is some difference relevant to testing to travel.  Maybe certain locations do the properly supervised testing and send official results, while other locations just give you a kit and send you off to test yourself in an unsupervised fashion.  

Tom & Judy

31 minutes ago, Nashna said:

We used CVS for our January Apex cruise.  They had the same statement on their website at that time.  This is because the rapid test is NOT valid for International travel.  If you are cruising into and out of the US to the Caribbean you will be fine.

By the way, this is not correct.  Properly supervised rapid Antigen tests are indeed accepted for most travel.  (I know that there are or were some countries that would only accept a PCR test, which is why I say it is accepted for most travel.)  The Abbott BinaxNow Ag card proctored tests sold through a link on the Celebrity website are rapid antigen tests.  Celebrity's own website clearly states this as well:

COVID-19 Cruise Health & Safety Protocols | Celebrity Cruises

And this is also true for the transatlantic cruises leaving this month, which are, by definition, international cruises:

Transatlantic Travel Requirements (celebritycruises.com)

Tom & Judy

• Like 3

We were on a Reflection cruise 2 weeks ago and got our rapid Antigen tests at CVS in Fort Lauderdale (corner or 17th & Federal Highway).  As the OP noted, when we registered online, it noted this type of test wasn't accepted everywhere.  I asked the person giving the test and she said they put that in as some places won't accept it.  Celebrity accepted it without any questions.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Panzano said:

We were on a Reflection cruise 2 weeks ago and got our rapid Antigen tests at CVS in Fort Lauderdale (corner or 17th & Federal Highway).  As the OP noted, when we registered online, it noted this type of test wasn't accepted everywhere.  I asked the person giving the test and she said they put that in as some places won't accept it.  Celebrity accepted it without any questions.

I am sure that is right.  But the original post and one of my follow-up posts focus on the fact that, when you go to schedule a CVS rapid Antigen test, some locations say "Not accepted for travel," while other locations say "Accepted for most travel."  Here is an example:

image.thumb.png.e06b49bdd4fb506419a5bb836af37378.png

Tom & Judy

Edited by TFree

12 minutes ago, TFree said:

I am sure that is right.  But the original post and one of my follow-up posts focus on the fact that, when you go to schedule a CVS rapid Antigen test, some locations say "Not accepted for travel," while other locations say "Accepted for most travel."  Here is an example:

Tom & Judy

It makes no difference at all. It's a rapid antigen test. Celebrity accepts them. 

The ones that say not accepted for travel are at MinuteClinic locations. The ones that say accepted for most travel are not associated with MinuteClinic and say 'This is a Community Site, funded by the U.S. Department of Human & Health Services. Insurance is not needed.' 

Ultimately it makes zero difference which you choose.

• Like 1

Just to be clear they ONLY accept Rapid Antigen if they are proctored.  I believe the free government tests are all rapid antigen and those are not accepted.  Also I think CVS might be putting in testing kiosks in their stores.  If these are self serve and not monitored then they may not be acceptable.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, paulh84 said:

It makes no difference at all. It's a rapid antigen test. Celebrity accepts them. 

The ones that say not accepted for travel are at MinuteClinic locations. The ones that say accepted for most travel are not associated with MinuteClinic and say 'This is a Community Site, funded by the U.S. Department of Human & Health Services. Insurance is not needed.' 

Ultimately it makes zero difference which you choose.

Well, as others said, rapid antigen tests are accepted only if they are supervised and send you an official result.  So that is the baseline.  If I am sailing, and making an appointment at a CVS for a rapid antigen test, then I will travel extra miles to go to a location that says "Accepted for most travel," rather than making an appointment at a place that says "Not accepted for travel."  You could be right, and maybe those locations also proctor the test and send official results.  But I am not taking that chance without knowing more than I know now.

Tom & Judy

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TFree said:

Maybe certain locations do the properly supervised testing and send official results, while other locations just give you a kit and send you off to test yourself in an unsupervised fashion.  

Tom & Judy

We recently ( 2 weeks ago) did our pre cruise testing at a CVS with a Minute Clinic (with the "not accepted for travel" verbiage on the scheduling site) and can confirm that the test was properly monitored and we received an official report by email and in the "mychart" function. This results was accepted without question upon boarding our cruise.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, cruisinsusin said:

We recently ( 2 weeks ago) did our pre cruise testing at a CVS with a Minute Clinic (with the "not accepted for travel" verbiage on the scheduling site) and can confirm that the test was properly monitored and we received an official report by email and in the "mychart" function. This results was accepted without question upon boarding our cruise.

Thank you for this very specific confirmation.  I wonder why they say "not accepted for travel" on the website?  Maybe to discourage people who are traveling from signing up?  Also, I am glad it worked out, but why did you choose such a location, and what was your backup plan?  Or did you know for sure that it would work out?

Tom & Judy

8 minutes ago, TFree said:

Thank you for this very specific confirmation.  I wonder why they say "not accepted for travel" on the website?  Maybe to discourage people who are traveling from signing up?  Also, I am glad it worked out, but why did you choose such a location, and what was your backup plan?  Or did you know for sure that it would work out?

Tom & Judy

You're welcome-Happy to offer our experience.

We had used the exact same test for cruises in February 2022 and September 2021,  as did several family members for a 3rd cruise, without problems, so had no concerns that it would not be accepted. 

We did a number of non cruise trips in 2021 and there were multiple hoops with testing, so my guess as to why it says what it says is most likely what deliver42 said in the next post- different destinations have different pre test requirements and, as some require PCR tests rather than antigen, they want to cover their own bases. 

I used CVS for 2 previous cruises.  So when the booking window opened at midnight two weeks before my 4/24 cruise I tried making appointments for 4/22.  There were no appointments available in all of San Diego at CVS for the rapid antigen test. 
I tried various times during the weekend- made several calls to no avail. I finally talked to the Health Concierge at my local
CVS yesterday.  She said they are reprogramming the website as they will no longer accept insurance for travel from 4/22 onward because the government is no longer covering those tests. In the future the rapid antigen test will cist 150/pp.  

Luckily my proctored at home Binax Now tests have a 6 month extension on their expiration date.  I ordered more just in case.  Happy testing! 

I need a test to travel and the CVS I was using has no RAT appts for April 21.    Have to go to another location further away.  The user pay cost is high for future cruises and will use the Binax that I purchased for future travels.  Just received and the expire date is 5/2023. 

On 4/11/2022 at 11:16 AM, TFree said:

By the way, this is not correct.  Properly supervised rapid Antigen tests are indeed accepted for most travel.  (I know that there are or were some countries that would only accept a PCR test, which is why I say it is accepted for most travel.)  The Abbott BinaxNow Ag card proctored tests sold through a link on the Celebrity website are rapid antigen tests.  Celebrity's own website clearly states this as well:

COVID-19 Cruise Health & Safety Protocols | Celebrity Cruises

And this is also true for the transatlantic cruises leaving this month, which are, by definition, international cruises:

Transatlantic Travel Requirements (celebritycruises.com)

Tom & Judy

We traveled to Iceland last July on a tour and Iceland only required an Antigen test.

Our local CVS (according to last month) only offers the PCR test.

Fortunately, our next trip is to Ecuador where we are on a Celebrity tour and cruise of the Galapagos, doesn't require a test at all if you are fully vaccinated.   We are tested (Celebrity arranges) prior to flying out to the islands from Quito.

On 4/12/2022 at 5:05 AM, luv4cruises said:

I used CVS for 2 previous cruises.  So when the booking window opened at midnight two weeks before my 4/24 cruise I tried making appointments for 4/22.  There were no appointments available in all of San Diego at CVS for the rapid antigen test. 
I tried various times during the weekend- made several calls to no avail. I finally talked to the Health Concierge at my local
CVS yesterday.  She said they are reprogramming the website as they will no longer accept insurance for travel from 4/22 onward because the government is no longer covering those tests. In the future the rapid antigen test will cist 150/pp.  

Luckily my proctored at home Binax Now tests have a 6 month extension on their expiration date.  I ordered more just in case.  Happy testing! 

I found out earlier this week that CVS in my area is no longer doing rapid antigen tests for travel.

This ongoing testing is pretty ridiculous if fully vaccinated, boosted and have no symptoms. These rapid antigen tests are not that reliable and insurance companies are no longer paying for them for travel.

• Like 2

On 4/12/2022 at 9:40 AM, luv4cruises said:

Just accessed CVS new testing sign-up page. Yes- from now on travelers will pay to be tested- caused by discontinuing of federal funding. That’s what I could not sign ip for a 4/22 test.

Where are you seeing the new sign-up page?