Panama Canal. Emerald princess

wcflats

Opinions about port or starboard cabins on emerald princess going through the new locks.  Port side we’ll see possibly the old locks while passing through and starboard side we’ll see coastal views.  Those of you who have done the new locks what do you think 🤔?  Thanks 🙏 

My vote is for an aft-facing cabin, so you can see out both sides of the ship as well as the aft from your own balcony when going through the locks and the various narrow passageways along the route.

So far we've been twice through the old locks, but are scheduled to go through the new locks on the Caribbean Princess later this month. 😎

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Like 2

Best views are on the upper open decks and on deck 7/8 promenade where you can move around to see all sides. If you remain in your balcony you will miss much of the activity and sights. You will also have to tune your TV to the designated station and turn up the vol. to hear the narration. I guess you are speaking about the Agua Clara (Atlantic) locks or traveling from the Atlantic to the Pacific. Yes the old locks are on the port side, but as I recall you really don't have a good view of them. 

On 4/11/2022 at 4:38 PM, wcflats said:

Opinions about port or starboard cabins on emerald princess going through the new locks.  Port side we’ll see possibly the old locks while passing through and starboard side we’ll see coastal views.  Those of you who have done the new locks what do you think 🤔?  Thanks 🙏 

Just did partial transit from FLL thru new locks on Emerald Princess. We were in a mini-suite E731 (starboard). Our balcony was in the shade going in morning and then afternoon returning through locks. It was so nice and shaded and cool. I know everyone says you should be up on top deck, but we preferred being on our private balcony avoiding the crowd.  Ordered room service and gad a great transit thru. Check out the balconies at the back, they are extra long (last one). We would definitely book this cabin again.