Updated Vaccation Policy

Edith1950

13 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

I had a look at Boots earlier and Hempstead Valley don’t do the antigen testing, it would mean going to Chatham.

I was going to book us in at Lloyd’s but my husband would prefer to do the home tests. I’ll get them ordered and do them at some point before we travel to Southampton the day before our cruise.

I will try to book lloyds because it is in Rainham and you get the printed certificate in store. The Boots one is in the Pentagon at Chatham and you have to download the result, apparently within an hour or so. So an early appointment at Boots would allow me to download the result at home. IF it is not 24 hours before embarkation but the day before.

edit - booked an in store test at Lloyds for the Friday morning. Nothing to pay until the day.

Edited by davecttr
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

But what "proof" do you have with a NHS test ?

Exactly the same proof as you have with any other tests. You get a certificate when you send the results in. I wonder if results do not come back in time what happens? I do think that by the time we go in May the requirements will have changed. I just base this on the fact that ours have changed three times in an hour already today.

2 hours ago, loveheart said:

We've got home testing kits but where would we get a certificate from? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, loveheart said:

We've got home testing kits but where would we get a certificate from? 

You go on the NHS app and fill in your details inc the number on the test. They then send you a certificate in text to show and print out.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Yorkypete said:

You go on the NHS app and fill in your details inc the number on the test. They then send you a certificate in text to show and print out.

The home test isn't a NHS one but from what I've read NHS tests aren't allowed anyway.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Yorkypete said:

I didn't think it was a certificate as such. Just confirmation that the result you submitted indicated you were probably negative. Not a definitive certificate to show you were definitely lurgie free.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, zap99 said:

I didn't think it was a certificate as such. Just confirmation that the result you submitted indicated you were probably negative. Not a definitive certificate to show you were definitely lurgie free.

Exactly - the "proof" only refers to the test itself - there is no direct link between the test and the individual person. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, wowzz said:

We are sailing with Princess from Barcelona next month,  and also need a negative test certificate within 24 hours of departure.

However,  Princess have stated that the 24 hours refers to the previous day - if you are departing on a Saturday, a test result from any time on Friday is perfectly OK.

Surely P&O could adopt the same protocol, or perhaps they have,  but have not been clear in their terminology ? 

That's how I interpted it. 24 hrs before the day of embarkation. 

8 hours ago, pmd98052 said:

Just remember if you have kids 12-15 who are over 270 days from their 2nd shot they cannot cruise with P&O anymore as that age range cannot get the 3rd (Booster) dose and NHS has no plans to do so. I'm going to have to cancel our Oct '22 Half Term cruise due to this - we just booked that last week!

We will have to cancel 3 cruises due to a 12 year old grandson who cannot get a booster jab..!! 

9 hours ago, wowzz said:

However,  Princess have stated that the 24 hours refers to the previous day - if you are departing on a Saturday, a test result from any time on Friday is perfectly OK.

Surely P&O could adopt the same protocol, or perhaps they have,  but have not been clear in their terminology ? 

You would hope that P&O will adopt the same protocol as Princess, but if that is the intention then they could have helped themselves by actually stating that.

We travel to Southampton in Nov for a 40 night cruise to Caribbean, normally we would travel down the morning of the day before, however there seems little point travelling to Southampton with the risk of failing the test there, or even risking being able to get a test done in Southampton. We will therefore arrange a test before we travel, however what time should we arrange a test for? our boarding time has typically been between 13:30 and 16:00 in the past, so it isn't ideal to get a test before 16:00 to cover ourselves which then means travelling during the evening rush hour and arriving late at night. On two occasions in the past we have arrived at our given check-in time to be held up by computer problems, one of them for 3 hours. You would hope that something like that would be taken into account but looking at some of the recent issues you wouldn't bet on it. Of course things may change by November but unless they do or the situation is clearer we will cancel yet another cruise with P&O. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

@molecrochipPlease do you have any info to clarify if the ‘24hours’ is strictly 24hours before each individual’s allocated embarkation time, or is anytime in the day prior to the cruise sailing acceptable?

I second that request, and it is URGENT that we know.

Did you book your boots test Sarah? I registered with the Boots recova portal this morning so have my special code to book a test at the pharmacy. However when attempting to do so the site just hangs, maybe something to do with Easter hols. Did I read somewhere that you can't book an appointment more than 28 days in advance anyway which would be the 29th April?

34 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

@molecrochipPlease do you have any info to clarify if the ‘24hours’ is strictly 24hours before each individual’s allocated embarkation time, or is anytime in the day prior to the cruise sailing acceptable?

When you think about it, trying to enforce a strict 24 hour policy is nonsensical, and is impossible to police. For example, what if P&O do not check you in until 24 hours 30 minutes after your test, due to their own delays at Southampton ?

Are P&O going to refuse to let you embark?

If P&O had simply said the test must be done anytime on the day prior to departure all this concern would have  been avoided.

• Like 8

23 minutes ago, davecttr said:

I second that request, and it is URGENT that we know.

Did you book your boots test Sarah? I registered with the Boots recova portal this morning so have my special code to book a test at the pharmacy. However when attempting to do so the site just hangs, maybe something to do with Easter hols. Did I read somewhere that you can't book an appointment more than 28 days in advance anyway which would be the 29th April?

No, I was going to book us in at Lloyd’s depending on the 24 hour question, but my husband would prefer to get the tests you do at home and sort out online. He’s working on the Friday morning and I am on childcare duties until late afternoon anyway so we’ve got to work through the practicalities. 

13 minutes ago, wowzz said:

When you think about it, trying to enforce a strict 24 hour policy is nonsensical, and is impossible to police. For example, what if P&O do not check you in until 24 hours 30 minutes after your test, due to their own delays at Southampton ?

Are P&O going to refuse to let you embark?

If P&O had simply said the test must be done anytime on the day prior to departure all this concern would have  been avoided.

It would certainly make life much easier if it’s anytime the day prior.

Sorry if this has been said and I missed it.

I'm cruising with family, one granddaughter has just turned 5 and can not be fully vaccinated in time. So she has to have a PCR test 72 hours before and a lateral flow test 24 hours before! The cruise is expensive enough but this is a waste of tests, time and money!

Also did I dream it or did some of us receive an email to say there would be extra OBC?

16 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I suspect that’s what they mean because, as you say, the alternative is just not workable, but the clarity of communication about this and other issues is absolutely appalling. As I said on another thread, half the enjoyment of a holiday is the anticipation and looking forward to it. P&O seem intent on destroying that aspect. There’s something wrong when I’m sitting here breathing a huge sigh of relief that we don’t have any cruises booked for this year. 

• Like 5

Just now, Selbourne said:

I suspect that’s what they mean because, as you say, the alternative is just not workable, but the clarity of communication about this and other issues is absolutely appalling. As I said on another thread, half the enjoyment of a holiday is the anticipation and looking forward to it. P&O seem intent on destroying that aspect. There’s something wrong when I’m sitting here breathing a huge sigh of relief that we don’t have any cruises booked for this year. 

Personally,  although I might be an outlier on this,  I quite welcome the idea of getting a test the day before the cruise (assuming that is the time scale involved). It means far less queuing at the terminal,  plus all the possible uncertainties regarding the test result are removed.

However,  I do think that a paid for test resource should be available at the terminal for those that are unable to test in advance.

• Like 10

1 minute ago, bee-ess said:

Does this mean that testing in Southampton Port is ending. I cannot see that mentioned on the P&O website. Surely we won't have to have 2 tests, the port one and our own test ?

Moley has said that testing at the port for those unable to do the home test will be available, but that prenetics will be reducing the testing facilities at the port, presumablyib line with how successful the take up of home testing goes.

• Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Personally,  although I might be an outlier on this,  I quite welcome the idea of getting a test the day before the cruise (assuming that is the time scale involved). It means far less queuing at the terminal,  plus all the possible uncertainties regarding the test result are removed.

However,  I do think that a paid for test resource should be available at the terminal for those that are unable to test in advance.

I thought that there was still a test at the terminal as well, but I may well be wrong about that as I was more focused on the comment about having to have a booster within 270 days of the end of your cruise, which was also poorly articulated. To be honest Wowzz I have lost the will to live with all of this. Thankfully we don’t have any cruises until next year, but if all this nonsense hasn’t ended by then I think we will be cancelling. 

• Like 2

Edit

Testing requirements from 29 April 2022 onwards:

All guests aged five years and over will need to organise and pay for a private antigen test, showing a negative result, within 24 hours prior to embarkation (NHS tests will not be accepted).

You can order your antigen test kit online through any government approved testing provider. To help, we’ve listed a few suppliers below (subject to availability). Guests will need to present their valid negative antigen test certificate, often referred to as a ‘fit to fly’ certificate, at the ship's terminal.

Prenetics: www.projectscreen.co.uk
Collinsons: www.collinsongroup.com/en/covid-19-testing
Randox: covid.randox.com
Express Test: www.expresstest.co.uk/book-a-test/

In addition to the above antigen test, all unvaccinated guests aged five to 11 years will also be required to take a complimentary COVID-19 test once they arrive at the terminal, administered by our service provider, Prenetics.

We’ll need you to show proof of your vaccination status and valid negative antigen test certificate at the ship’s terminal. Guests that are unable to do so will unfortunately be denied boarding.

Edited by Selbourne

Just now, Selbourne said:

I’ve just double checked on the P&O website and they will still be testing at the terminal in addition to the private test that you arrange yourself within 24 hours. Madness, but here it is;

All guests aged five years and over will need to organise and pay for a private antigen test, showing a negative result, within 24 hours prior to embarkation (NHS tests will not be accepted).

You can order your antigen test kit online through any government approved testing provider. To help, we’ve listed a few suppliers below (subject to availability). Guests will need to present their valid negative antigen test certificate, often referred to as a ‘fit to fly’ certificate, at the ship's terminal.

In addition to the above antigen test, all unvaccinated guests aged five to 11 years will also be required to take a complimentary COVID-19 test once they arrive at the terminal, administered by our service provider, Prenetics.

We’ll need you to show proof of your vaccination status and valid negative antigen test certificate at the ship’s terminal. Guests that are unable to do so will unfortunately be denied boarding.

Madness does not do it justice

1 minute ago, Selbourne said:

I’ve just double checked on the P&O website and they will still be testing at the terminal in addition to the private test that you arrange yourself within 24 hours. Madness, but here it is;

Which is what I said,  but the terminal testing is being significantly reduced in line with the much reduced expected demand.