Updated Vaccation Policy

Edith1950

47 minutes ago, MX-Drew said:

It does appear as though there is an end in sight to testing. I have had an email regarding our Christmas & New Year cruise and it does not mention testing. ......... Yet.

I don't think you can read too much into the emails, we got the same email for cruises in 2022/3/4. The details for testing are through a link in the emails and are exactly the same for all 3 cruises. Ultimately one of the cruise lines is going to have to stick their heads above the parapet and stop testing, however legislation for this from EU and likely other bodies is currently demanding it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/12/2022 at 9:16 PM, molecrochip said:

Prenetics do a home/hotel/service station self-administered LFT. You activate it, do it, wait 15-30 minutes and then submit a picture of your result via the website. 

You then get a pdf/website confirmation once a human has checked it. Took about 3-5 minutes for the confirmation once submitted.

£14/£17 depending upon delivery method.

https://www.projectscreen.co.uk/lateral-flow-test-kits/testing-for-travel/

Certificated result within 3 hours of uploading result.

We used Prenetics in February before flying to Poland.  Went exactly as you have described.  If things the remain the same we would use them again.  We did our tests at the hotel the evening before flying, saved the certificated results to our phones.

6 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

I don't think you can read too much into the emails, we got the same email for cruises in 2022/3/4. The details for testing are through a link in the emails and are exactly the same for all 3 cruises. Ultimately one of the cruise lines is going to have to stick their heads above the parapet and stop testing, however legislation for this from EU and likely other bodies is currently demanding it.

To throw more in the mix the Spanish protocol goes on to say about a third day test onboard and daily temperature checks!  Hopefully that brave cruise line ignores that requirement first ...

13 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

If this is demanded by for example Spain,  then the first cruise line to provide enhanced customer service and continue to offer complimentary testing is more likely to be the winner.

They obviously can’t ignore regulations, they can however try to make things easier for their passengers.

Edited by Eglesbrech
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Megabear2 said:

To throw more in the mix the Spanish protocol goes on to say about a third day test onboard and daily temperature checks!  Hopefully that brave cruise line ignores that requirement first ...

Sky Princess ignored it last week. Has this just changed?

2 hours ago, Port out said:

With the new testing policy I wonder what will happen if you are doing a back to back cruise .. any thoughts on this

Hello,

Last autumn on the UK staycations for both RCI & X cruises, the testing company stayed on-board from departure at Soton. On return to Soton they took over one of the conference rooms and did testing from there, we waited and were given our test result and room key for the next cruise. We did not need to produce vaccine proof or anything else from the first check-in.

Regards,

Cublet

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

If this is demanded by for example Spain,  then the first cruise line to provide enhance customer service and continue to offer complimentary testing is more likely to be the winner.

They obviously can’t ignore regulations, they can however try to make things easier for their passengers.

Assumedly you mean free testing by providing a voucher or obc as some lines have done in the past.  If the physical test centres are closing that would be the only option. The staff at the ports shoreside are neither trained to take these tests or employed by the cruise lines.

• Like 1

On 4/13/2022 at 9:38 AM, Yorkypete said:

Totally agree, however the tests are pretty worthless. Due to the spread of covid being so bad at present the test only refers to the time you have the test. You could take it at 4pm and by 6 pm you could have caught the virus. If you book the test 24 hours before embarkation you could still be positive the day you sail, as a number of people will be.

Bit like an MOT for vehicles.  Last year, was at the bike workshop.  A chap collected his bike after it had been MOT'd, pass ticket in hand.  He promptly pulled out a screwdriver, removed the number plate, and then fitted a much smaller illegal number plate.  Then rode off into the sunset....

1 minute ago, Megabear2 said:

I think it has been long established that temperature checks are not a viable method of indicating covid. Cruise ships will always be an issue for transmittable "deceases" as will schools, hospitals etc especially in winter. If Spain are making it more difficult for cruise ships to dock then the cruise lines need to find alternative ports. It isn't too long ago that Spain were complaining that the restrictions were too severe and they were losing out to other warmer climes for tourist numbers, cake and eat it springs to mind.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

I think it has been long established that temperature checks are not a viable method of indicating covid. Cruise ships will always be an issue for transmittable "deceases" as will schools, hospitals etc especially in winter. If Spain are making it more difficult for cruise ships to dock then the cruise lines need to find alternative ports. It isn't too long ago that Spain were complaining that the restrictions were too severe and they were losing out to other warmer climes for tourist numbers, cake and eat it springs to mind.

I would agree except Italy and Greece are also demanding tests and extra caution.  On that basis maybe all those Norwegian and Baltic cruises are part of the plan...

Mind you having read the stories of the hell that Saga passengers have recently been through to meet these requirements I cannot see it working with big mainstream cruisers. All the postings on Code Quebec lockdowns has put me off ever even considering a Saga cruise even if I could afford it!  I note that Denarius was one of those caught up in it. He always strikes me as a very level headed sensible poster so for him to be aggrieved seems to show it really was quite dreadful.

13 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Bit like an MOT for vehicles.  Last year, was at the bike workshop.  A chap collected his bike after it had been MOT'd, pass ticket in hand.  He promptly pulled out a screwdriver, removed the number plate, and then fitted a much smaller illegal number plate.  Then rode off into the sunset....

Normal practice for Harley owners!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fionboard said:

Normal practice for Harley owners!

Fi , I think I may know you and have shared a very enjoyable dinner table with you on Artemis.

Are  you particularly partial to English sparkling wine and went on holiday with your mum and dad? If not you then another Harley owning, English sparking wine enthusiast from Devon😀

• Like 1

Just now, Eglesbrech said:

Fi , I think I may know you and have shared a very enjoyable dinner table with you on Artemis.

Are  you particularly partial to English sparkling wine and went on holiday with your mum and dad? If not you then another Harley owning, English sparking wine enthusiast from Devon😀

Not me I am afraid, just a partner of a Harley

owner!

• Like 1

Has any one seen any updates from P&O on what happens to kids 12-15 now who will be over 270 days from their 2nd shot but cannot get a 3rd (booster) as NHS don't offer them for kids 12-15.

This seems to be a massive issue for those of us with Oct '22 half term cruises coming up but I've seen nothing from P&O on it. I booked last week under the prior requirements. I would have held off booking if I had known this as I think its likely I'll have to cancel and lose my deposit now. Our TA has asked P&O but apparently it will take till late next week to get an answer (and I fully expect to never actually hear back on it anyway)

The tests, whichever they are, are very much like the car MOT test. They are only valid until the car starts up and drives away.  Either way an hour after the test it is worthless. Can't the cruise company realise this.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Yorkypete said:

The tests, whichever they are, are very much like the car MOT test. They are only valid until the car starts up and drives away.  Either way an hour after the test it is worthless. Can't the cruise company realise this.

I don't believe the cruise companies have any say in the matter. It is not them who are making the rules.

The obvious question that follows, is,  who is making the rules, and I confess I do not know the answer. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, pmd98052 said:

Has any one seen any updates from P&O on what happens to kids 12-15 now who will be over 270 days from their 2nd shot but cannot get a 3rd (booster) as NHS don't offer them for kids 12-15.

This seems to be a massive issue for those of us with Oct '22 half term cruises coming up but I've seen nothing from P&O on it. I booked last week under the prior requirements. I would have held off booking if I had known this as I think its likely I'll have to cancel and lose my deposit now. Our TA has asked P&O but apparently it will take till late next week to get an answer (and I fully expect to never actually hear back on it anyway)

With the new rules some children have effectively been barred from cruising, if you have booked such a cruise then in effect P&O have cancelled that cruise and will need to return your deposit or give you a satisfactory enhancement. This happened with the Ventura 35 night cruise in Jan that we cancelled. P&O stipulated that all passengers needed a third vaccine/booster to go on that cruise therefore cancelling it for non boosted. This happened the week before the cruise so there were some unhappy people. In your case you have plenty of time to decide whether to wait and see if the rules change, whether 12-15 year olds get the booster or transfer you cruise or P&O make an offer.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

With the new rules some children have effectively been barred from cruising, if you have booked such a cruise then in effect P&O have cancelled that cruise and will need to return your deposit or give you a satisfactory enhancement. This happened with the Ventura 35 night cruise in Jan that we cancelled. P&O stipulated that all passengers needed a third vaccine/booster to go on that cruise therefore cancelling it for non boosted. This happened the week before the cruise so there were some unhappy people. In your case you have plenty of time to decide whether to wait and see if the rules change, whether 12-15 year olds get the booster or transfer you cruise or P&O make an offer.

Thanks - The part that feels risky to me though is if I wait past June 25th I've made final payment. At that point I'm sure P&O will let me transfer the cruise but I'm sure any replacement will be more expensive (this one was a fairly good deal for school holidays) and so I'd rather just get the money back and book a land vacation for Oct '22 half term. I don't mind waiting a few weeks but what if P&O drag this out past June 25th? If I take action prior I do lose the small 5% deposit but it would at least let me take a smaller hit and rebook a land vacation earlier.

Edited by pmd98052

5 minutes ago, pmd98052 said:

Thanks - The part that feels risky to me though is if I wait past June 25th I've made final payment. At that point I'm sure P&O will let me transfer the cruise but I'm sure any replacement will be more expensive (this one was a fairly good deal for school holidays) and so I'd rather just get the money back and book a land vacation for Oct '22 half term. I don't mind waiting a few weeks but what if P&O drag this out past June 25th? If I take action prior I do lose the small 5% deposit but it would at least let me take a smaller hit and rebook a land vacation earlier.

I see your dilemma, it just feels wrong that you could end up out of pocket in this circumstance. You could of course move the deposit to another cruise, even if that cruise is not perfect for you. The worst that could happen is that you could write it off later or move the deposit again, at the very least speak to your TA/P&O to see whether they will return the deposit as they have effectively cancelled your cruise. Good luck whichever path you choose.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, pmd98052 said:

In our case our 12 year old grandson can travel with us on the Ventura this October as within the 270 days but not on the Iona in Feb 23 as just outside the 270 days 🤷‍♂️😡

We really do not know whether we can be a$$ed with all of the testing as just recently when travelling on the Iona with two 9 year olds it was all very stressy 😟

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

I live 20 miles from Southampton and at the point I wished to book, admittedly last minute, there were no appointments available.

This is all getting rather silky. I've admitted it was an ill judged comment  apologised profusely and am now getting beaten with a big stick by all!

No matter what occurred last year the major cruise lines are asking passengers to pay for their tests  which they are well within their rights to do.  Cruisers were actually very lucky to get free testing last year as air passengers had to pay for tests.

Personally I have always believed free testing for cruises would have to end sooner rather than later. As the testing sites around the country close down it is simply not viable to keep them staffed and open for the cruise companies.

If the government thinks I should pay for my own testing why should I expect a corporate profit making company to subsidise my travel.

I agree with you MB, free testing either by the govt or cruise lines had inevitably to end sometime, and now that most restrictions have been lifted in the UK seems an opportune moment. I just hope that the fears of so many on here, that a significant minority might be tempted to cheat the non observed tests, prove unfounded. I am hoping that we will be able to do an at home test late morning  the day before we cruise, and before we set off for our overnight hotel in Southampton. We have some free NHS test kits left, so will use a couple of those the day before to check we are still covid free, and even if postive we will still do the online test, so we have proof to claim our FCC.

Hopefully by June the infection rate will have reduced significantly and we can enjoy a more relaxed cruise than might otherwise be the case.

• Like 4