Where to cruise

delgirl

We were originally booked on the hamburg one. Had to transfer it yesterday to November as I am awaiting test results. Had breast cancer in 2013 and it has returned in my spine Had some tests and just waiting to see if it has spread elsewhere. So if results are OK as it is treatable but not curable I want to change it back to August. But am now thinking of the other one. Decisions decisions 

1 hour ago, delgirl said:

We were originally booked on the hamburg one. Had to transfer it yesterday to November as I am awaiting test results. Had breast cancer in 2013 and it has returned in my spine Had some tests and just waiting to see if it has spread elsewhere. So if results are OK as it is treatable but not curable I want to change it back to August. But am now thinking of the other one. Decisions decisions 

Oh Bummer for you. Fingers and toes crossed for you.

I have done both itineraries, a few times and experienced both ships on them. I'm afraid given the choice, I'd choose Victoria but I had a great time on QM2 to Bruges, too.

Bruges was the prettiest of all the ports in consideration but having done both itineraries, I would choose the Oslo/|Amsterdam for interest and things to see irrespective of ship.

Maybe as Hattie said, it might boil down to the ship?

4 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

Have you been on either of the ships before ? Would that help the decision ?

Have been on QV once and QM2 3 times transatlantic, so haven't done a cruise on QM2 as such. Went round the med on QV. Like both ships but was wondering if QV would be better as can walk about at leisure apart from amsterdam. QM2 would probably need to do excursions.

10 hours ago, delgirl said:

QV would be better as can walk about at leisure apart from amsterdam.

Just to pick up on this - are you sure QV won’t be docking in central Amsterdam? QE docked at the cruise terminal just along from Central Station, a couple of weeks ago.

It was incredibly convenient for exploration (and an overnight stop too!). I’d be surprised if Cunard didn’t arrange for QV to do the same given the identical size, although the terminal could always be booked up of course.

An additional bonus was that to get there we transited through the IJmuiden lock system which was unexpected and great fun - lots of people on deck for that!

Other than that, it comes down to personal taste I think between the ships. You’d enjoy either, I’m sure!

Is there a difference in cruise length ?

The other thing to consider is that QM2 cruises via Hamburg are often sold as short breaks so there will be a different feeling with people embarking at different ports rather than staying on board for the whole cruise.

Good luck deciding, I hope you enjoy whichever one you choose.