NCL Price Drop After Final Payment - No Credit

sherims

Our 2 cabins dropped $1700 in total today for a cruise in August. Travel Agent called NCL & was told they wouldn't give us any kind of credit or upgrade. NCL said it was because we accepted the booking offers of: 3rd person for $99 in one cabin and free gratuities in the other cabin.  I never knew the "free" offers could stand in the way like this.  Can you shed any light on this? Thanks!! 😊

21 minutes ago, sherims said:

Our 2 cabins dropped $1700 in total today for a cruise in August. Travel Agent called NCL & was told they wouldn't give us any kind of credit or upgrade. NCL said it was because we accepted the booking offers of: 3rd person for $99 in one cabin and free gratuities in the other cabin.  I never knew the "free" offers would stand in the way.  Can you shed any light on this? Thanks!! 😊

If you're outside of final payment, you should be able to rebook at the current prices, but you will also have to accept the current perks that they are offering to get the lower price.

Edited by KSSS2013
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sherims said:

Our 2 cabins dropped $1700 in total today for a cruise in August. Travel Agent called NCL & was told they wouldn't give us any kind of credit or upgrade. NCL said it was because we accepted the booking offers of: 3rd person for $99 in one cabin and free gratuities in the other cabin.  I never knew the "free" offers could stand in the way like this.  Can you shed any light on this? Thanks!! 😊

Once again:  you get what you pay for.

Would you willingly pay a surcharge on top of the fare you originally paid if fares had increased?

• Like 2

The perks have to match what you booked, not sure if you are able to just accept the current offers since that would probably be considered a re-booking.

I do know that if you accepted the BOGO airfare they won't make any changes if the airfare is no longer a current offer (falls off at 90 days).  I did just put in for FCC at 90 days (airfare promo still in play) and we'll see.  My PCC tried to tell me no changes because of the airfare but when I pointed out that the promos were still the same, which is what NCL keeps saying is the issue, he checked on it and put in the request.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KSSS2013 said:

If you're outside of final payment, you should be able to rebook at the current prices, but you will also have to accept the current perks that they are offering to get the lower price.

They indicate in the thread title that they are already AFTER final payment. 

You are after final payment. If you were happy with the price when you made the final payment, then just accept it as such. Next time perhaps wait until after the final payment date to book.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, KSSS2013 said:

Well it’s the same scenario. Perks don’t match nothing NCL can do. 

Nope.  Before final payment they technically cancel and rebook - but they keep your reservation number and cabin, plus payment info. Original perks are discarded and new perks, for better or worse, are added.

After final payment there is a penalty for cancellation so they make an adjustment to the fare.

• Like 1

We have already made our final payment.  I don't think we can rebook now.

My question was really about the reasoning given by NCL.  They charged $99 for the 3rd person in the cabin.....I didn't choose that.  Why would that affect giving credit now for a price drop?  It just seems like an unusual reason.

2 minutes ago, julig22 said:

Nope.  Before final payment they technically cancel and rebook - but they keep your reservation number and cabin, plus payment info. Original perks are discarded and new perks, for better or worse, are added.

After final payment there is a penalty for cancellation so they make an adjustment to the fare.

Not an adjustment for the fare...FCC of 50% of the difference.  Anyway, that's what happened to me. Price went down after final payment and I got the credit for a future cruise.  

1 minute ago, sherims said:

My question was really about the reasoning given by NCL.  They charged $99 for the 3rd person in the cabin.....I didn't choose that.  Why would that affect giving credit now for a price drop?  It just seems like an unusual reason.

I'm with you...but it wouldn't be a credit for that cruise....it would be a credit for a future cruise.

13 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

I'm with you...but it wouldn't be a credit for that cruise....it would be a credit for a future cruise.

I'd love a FCC.  I was told to anything because I accepted the "perk" of $99 for 3rd person in cabin.

18 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

Not an adjustment for the fare...FCC of 50% of the difference.  Anyway, that's what happened to me. Price went down after final payment and I got the credit for a future cruise.  

You are correct - I should have said adjustment in the form of FCC. But I believe it's now 100% of the difference, changed in late March.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, sherims said:

The perks aren't really free - the costs are included/averaged across the rates offered at the time.  When certain perks are no longer offered, it affects their bottom line and they can reduce the fares.  Up until the final payment date (US anyway), you can book according to the rates/perks that work best for you and lock in the current rate.  If the perks change after final payment the base rates are no longer comparable.

I can understand the choice to not give refunds - that makes good business sense.  FCC would mean that a person will possibly book a future cruise - and it they don't NCL hasn't lost anything, assuming they make it non-transferrable - so I think they might be shooting themselves in the foot on that one.  But even more confusing to me is not allowing a paid upgrade, regardless of promos.  But it is what it is!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, sherims said:

They charged $99 for the 3rd person in the cabin.....I didn't choose that.

If you accepted the deal by making a deposit and the final payment amount was made, you agreed to the math in the fine print of your ticket contract (and T&Cs) which it sound like you may not have read carefully (if at all).

I’m always amazed that some people don’t fully understand the terms of what may be a very large purchase for them. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sherims said:

It really does not matter what deal they gave for the third person.  Or if you booked on a Tuesday rather than on a Thursday.  You booked a cruise for an agreed upon fare.  Probably demand for that cruise dropped after you booked it - so the line had to lower the price to sell cabins.  Why would they want to give you cash (or credit)?  Would you give them more cash - or give up you booked accomodations for something less attractive - if the fare went up.?

The reasoning they gave you does not matter, perhaps they felt that if they give you some sort of reason you might go away happy -- they are not going to give away something they do not have to just because you wanted to lock in an attractive fare, and now want to renegotiate.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

It really does not matter what deal they gave for the third person.  Or if you booked on a Tuesday rather than on a Thursday.  You booked a cruise for an agreed upon fare.  Probably demand for that cruise dropped after you booked it - so the line had to lower the price to sell cabins.  Why would they want to give you cash (or credit)?  Would you give them more cash - or give up you booked accomodations for something less attractive - if the fare went up.?

The reasoning they gave you does not matter, perhaps they felt that if they give you some sort of reason you might go away happy -- they are not going to give away something they do not have to just because you wanted to lock in an attractive fare, and now want to renegotiate.

Except that NCL DOES regularly give OBC or FCC in the case of a price drop.  Just wondering why it happens sometimes, but not all the time.

9 minutes ago, sherims said:

So, so far, no one has heard of being denied for this reason.  

$99 for 3rd person is not currently offered.  Different promo, different pricing structure.  Request denied.

Watch the pricing/promos.  Maybe sometime between now and August they will offer the same terms for your specific cruise and then you can request fcc and maybe get a better outcome.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MoCruiseFan said:

So if you buy a new car when the year model starts and the selection is best, then as the next year's cars come in and that year is discounted do you go back to the dealer and ask for a refund?

No need to. I’d have purchased it as a “special order” (exact desired configuration) for below dealer cost with all rebates to both consumers and dealer (thank you checkbook.org) to begin with (including an at least a negotiated 10-15% discount on all future service charges).

could I get it for less a year later? Probably, but it wouldn’t look/be equipped like anything I really wanted. 

4 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Once again:  you get what you pay for.

Would you willingly pay a surcharge on top of the fare you originally paid if fares had increased?

In my travel experience,  I have often  seen people post those exact same words.  I have quite ofte  heard "if you don't like the answer, call back and ask someone else"  

Guess which of the two has been correct more often for airlines, rentals cars, hotels and cruise lines? 

I have no clue if NCL does this (but clearly they do because it's the heart of loyalty programs) but many (most?) travel companies are tracking your revenue.   The more you generate (especially revenue per room night), the more likely they are to bend the rules.  It's happened to me many times, including very recently on NCL.

Secondly, use human nature to your advantage.   People in customer service generally want to help you and make you happy.   Pull out your charm, offer some suggestions on alternatives that will make you happy if you can't get what you want.  More Importantly,  be polite,  nice and thankful!  And know when to cut your losses and keep things from escalating to the point that they document your request.   If it's a no, thank them for their efforts and try a second time with someone else.

The point of all this rambling is don't take anecdotal evidence from an internet chat board.   Do your research,  ask, offer alternatives and try.  What's the worst you lose?  A bit of time on the phone. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Yesimapirate said:

In my travel experience,  I have often  seen people post those exact same words.  I have quite ofte  heard "if you don't like the answer, call back and ask someone else"  

Guess which of the two has been correct more often for airlines, rentals cars, hotels and cruise lines? 

I have no clue if NCL does this (but clearly they do because it's the heart of loyalty programs) but many (most?) travel companies are tracking your revenue.   The more you generate (especially revenue per room night), the more likely they are to bend the rules.  It's happened to me many times, including very recently on NCL.

Secondly, use human nature to your advantage.   People in customer service generally want to help you and make you happy.   Pull out your charm, offer some suggestions on alternatives that will make you happy if you can't get what you want.  More Importantly,  be polite,  nice and thankful!  And know when to cut your losses and keep things from escalating to the point that they document your request.   If it's a no, thank them for their efforts and try a second time with someone else.

The point of all this rambling is don't take anecdotal evidence from an internet chat board.   Do your research,  ask, offer alternatives and try.  What's the worst you lose?  A bit of time on the phone. 

Prior to last summer, the upgrade policy was pretty lucy-goosey and you could often get a different result by calling back or asking for a supervisor.  Now, from what I've experienced, it's not up to the PCC or NCL rep anymore.  They can screen your request (and tell you why it's not going to happen if you obviously don't qualify) but ultimately they email a request and it is handled by someone else.

1 hour ago, Yesimapirate said:

I do agree that a simple statement like “Thanks! It’s so refreshing to chat with a company rep who understands the bigger picture. I sure wish there was a way to always get back to you” can work wonders (though often a lie and not always successful in getting what you reasonably want).

3 hours ago, julig22 said:

$99 for 3rd person is not currently offered.  Different promo, different pricing structure.  Request denied.

Watch the pricing/promos.  Maybe sometime between now and August they will offer the same terms for your specific cruise and then you can request fcc and maybe get a better outcome.

Yes, $99 for 3rd person is currently being offered for this sailing. Another reason this is unusual.