Tipping culture on a world cruise

John&LaLa

Once upon a time, I would leave a dollar/drink order in addition to the gratuity on the bill.  I no longer do that.

I will offer an additional gratuity to my Cabin Stewards, Dining Room Stewards, possibly an Assistant Maitre d' or the Maitre d' if they have performed a special service, and, if I mostly patronize a particular bar (as I usually do), gratuities for the Bartenders and any of the Stewards who have served me.  I tip for Room Service upon each delivery.  

I will give these gratuities at the end of each segment of a world cruise and not wait until the end of the cruise.  

I imagine others will have a different practice.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Once upon a time, I would leave a dollar/drink order in addition to the gratuity on the bill.  I no longer do that.

I will offer an additional gratuity to my Cabin Stewards, Dining Room Stewards, possibly an Assistant Maitre d' or the Maitre d' if they have performed a special service, and, if I mostly patronize a particular bar (as I usually do), gratuities for the Bartenders and any of the Stewards who have served me.  I tip for Room Service upon each delivery.  

I will give these gratuities at the end of each segment of a world cruise and not wait until the end of the cruise.  

I imagine others will have a different practice.  

Drinks are included, so there really is no identifiable gratuity on individual drinks. 

Thnx

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Drinks are included, so there really is no identifiable gratuity on individual drinks. 

Thnx

The only cruise that I have experienced that was all inclusive was as a Yacht Club guest on MSC Meraviglia.  At the end of that cruise, there had been so many Butlers in the YC Lounge that had served me that I did not tip anyone there.  (The Bartender who was mostly on duty:  he was not very guest friendly and didn't get a tip either.)  

I did tip my Suite Butler and the Assistant Butler as well as the two Maitre d's in the YC Restaurant.  Like the YC Lounge, there had been too many different Dining Room Stewards who served me to offer a gratuity,  

• Thanks 1

I come from a different tipping culture, where we recognise exemplary service, but do not reward poor or mediocre service.

Having completed 2 World Cruises, where the Discretionary Service Charge was included, we provided tips to the crew members that provided us with exceptional service. These are provided on the final evening of the cruise.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1