B2B Whittier AK turnaround day activities? Long day- sail at 8:30 PM.

suefrankw

We would welcome suggestions for activities for this day. Not sure I want to do a small boat cruise as concerned about seasickness I get on small boats....We dock at midnight and sail at 8:30 PM so probably need to be on board by 6 PM or so...

I am also gluten free so eating local is not always an option. Seems like GF options in Whittier are very limited unless we have time to journey outside of Whittier perhaps? First timer here.

All suggestions are welcomed & appreciated.

Phillips Cruises has a no seasickness guarantee: https://phillipscruises.com/the-experience/ They use a catamaran hull and operate in the relatively calm waters of the Prince William Sound. That would be my first choice.

My second choice would  be rent a car from Avis, go out through the tunnel and explore the Turnagain Arm area. You could do the 1 hour Portage Lake Glacier Cruise. It's on a small lake, so no waves. You could visit the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center. You could visit Girdwood and do the Virgin Falls trail (short), Winner Creek Trail (not as short) or take the tram up the mountain at Alyeska Resort. You'll find more gluten free options in Girdwood.

Just watch the tunnel opening times for your return. 

• Like 1

The 26 Glacier cruise is really about the only option in Whittier, there is really little else. On almost every one of my turnaround days the few Princess tours offered were all cancelled because of lack of participation. There is a nice little museum that I plan on visiting again this year.

Be sure and spend some time out on deck after the sailaway, IMHO some of the best scenery on the cruise is the first couple of hours after leaving Whittier and it can be magical in the evening twilight

We've taken the 26 Glacier Cruise which is fabulous (and guaranteed to be free of motion sickness!).  You do get a lunch with the tour.  I'm a celiac so I also need to have gluten free options.  You can order a GF vegetarian chili on the cruise for lunch (instead of the chowder).  It's pretty good and I seem to remember a side salad as well.  I always travel with gf snacks (nuts, crackers, cheese) so I was okay with the meal offered on the cruise.

AKStafford is correct--there are a lot more gluten free options in Girdwood!  I had some great meals during our stay in Girdwood last summer.

Edited by disneyochem

Alaska wildlife conservation center isn't very far and one of the cooler things anywhere close.  Portage Glacier is on the other side of the tunnel and that's cool.  Not sure what sort of transportation you'll have available.  As for GF food, good luck, I have no advice.

3 hours ago, suefrankw said:

thanks everyone....perhaps Phillips Cruises is the answer.

Appreciate your input

Although the 26 Glacier Cruise visits areas the cruise ship doesn’t, it also includes a good portion of it that will be the same up through College Fjord. It is, indeed, and excellent trip but wonder if seeing the same thing might get old. Consider the shorter Glacier Quest that visits other areas and glaciers.

The ports (Whittier and Seward) are some distance from anyplace. Seward has more to offer in terms of things to do, Whittier not so much. And you will be in Whittier. Although the tunnel and wildlife center are interesting- hard to imagine how you could get there and back. Car rentals are all but impossible to get and terribly expensive. And bus and train transportation are very limited. Sounds like one of the glacier trips might be your only realistic choice. I guess there are some restaurants in Whittier but very limited. And I understand that you need to be careful wandering around as bears are common visitors to the area so you need to know where you are going.