First Time on SS - received this today

maadimom

We are booked on the cloud next February.  We received this today.  It sounds like it is a good change, but having never sailed with SS! I don’t really know.  Thoughts?

Building on our commitment to unlocking the world’s most authentic experiences in superlative comfort for our guests, we have enhanced our Antarctica voyages with more seamless journeys. We are delighted to inform you that you will now embark and disembark in Puerto Williams, Chile, instead of Ushuaia, Argentina.

Upon your arrival in Santiago, you will enjoy an overnight stay in a 5* hotel and a welcome reception dinner. The following morning, your new journey will start at a more convenient hour and will include a more personalised flight experience, departing from a private airport terminal in Santiago, with a Silversea representative available at all times. Not only will you benefit from an additional luggage allowance and an upgraded level of comfort with extra legroom, but you will also be able to enjoy our regionally inspired, gourmet lunch. The small size of Puerto Williams and the airport’s close proximity to the port will also allow us to deliver a faster, more seamless direct transfer to Silver Cloud.

The addition of Puerto Williams to our Antarctica voyages exemplifies how our small ships can deliver enhanced and exclusive travel experiences. I hope you will agree that your travel experience will greatly benefit from our enriched itinerary. You will find more information on your revised itinerary here,  while our blog's Antarctica-related travel stories should leave you feeling inspired.

We look forward to welcoming you aboard Silver Cloud for the voyage of a lifetime.

Warmest Regards,

Conrad Combrink

SVP Expeditions, Turnaround Operations and Destination Management

Received similar information on our disembarkation on November 27 originally scheduled for Ushuaia.

Not a plus for us because it messes with our return travel arrangements, but not a major minus either.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, maadimom said:

It sounds like it is a good change, but having never sailed with SS! I don’t really know.  Thoughts?

I don’t understand what you “don’t really know” about whether this change is good?  Is there a specific concern you have and are asking about, or are you just looking for some form of reassurance?  If it’s the latter, yes the change is good.

• Like 1

I think it is a forced change. Previously both Aerolineas and LAN flew from Buenos Aires to Ushuaia. I think SS used LAN. They have basically withdrawn from Argentina. They are a Chilean airline so fly from Santiago to most of Chile. Hence the change.

If you are using the SS charter there will be no difference at all. I would be disappointed though as we spent 3 nights in Ushuaia and enjoyed it. Have no idea what Puerto Williams is like.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, drron29 said:

I think it is a forced change. Previously both Aerolineas and LAN flew from Buenos Aires to Ushuaia. I think SS used LAN. They have basically withdrawn from Argentina. They are a Chilean airline so fly from Santiago to most of Chile. Hence the change.

If you are using the SS charter there will be no difference at all. I would be disappointed though as we spent 3 nights in Ushuaia and enjoyed it. Have no idea what Puerto Williams is like.

Thanks for the info!

Strangely, on the day we were flying home from our rescheduled departure airport of Santiago, we were at the airport and leaving within minutes of each other as a friend booked on Explorer on his way down to southern Chile.

This scenario was forced on SS and guests due to Argentina  shutting shop leaving SS to make a decision. I'd imagine the success of using this route is what has fueled this to be a more permanent arrangement and to try to avoid last minute changes. That said, Chile also changed rules in ports while we were there, but unlike Argentina, they did remain open.

Getting your mobility pass to gain access to Chile, should also be much easier than it was the tail end of 2021. My entry to Chile was unscheduled and application made just prior to departing Ecuador without the needed documents (a gamble!) It took 4 days, 2 of which were the weekend.

So, is it a good thing? For more luggage, I'd say it is. (I will ask what our friends were allowed on the final leg.) For no further changes? Marginally better. For pre cruise overnight city stay? Depends, though I'd personally prefer BA over Santiago 

In short, it's done to suit SS, but with good intentions. It shouldn't impact your cruise. For us, we got the luxury of a direct flight from Santiago, instead of a transit flying from Guayaquil. I suspect if it's better for you in this way too, it's a win win. If you had a direct flight to BA but not to Santiago, then I'd personally not be too happy.

In short, you have a great cruise to look forward to. Relax and enjoy. 

• Like 2

As promised, I got my reply.

They did not weigh the luggage as it was a private charter however when they have above a certain number of passengers they use two planes because the BA146’s are at the end of their maximum flight time.

Coming back we flew to Punta Arenas to re-fuel and then onto Santiago.  

They have the timings so that when you arrive at Puerto Williams you go straight to the ship whereas with Ushuaia you go on a coach trip and then a late lunch in a hotel before boarding the ship. 

So yes, that sounds better to me 

Having booked for Antarctica next year we were delighted when the port changed to Puerto Williams, for the following reasons :-

- all flights within Chile

- dedicated plane with extra legroom & baggage versus the previous LAN charter.

- better flight times than previously

From the UK it doesn't make much difference if the transatlantic is into Santiago or Buenos Aires - BA fly direct to both. (although if one is planning a stopover then Buenos Aires is more interesting).

I found the article shown at this link to be of interest :-

https://discover.silversea.com/to-the-curious/antarctica-return-to-service/  

• Like 1

Thanks all for the responses.  I thought it would be a better deal, but the email and the link to the website glorified the changes so much that I wasn’t sure if it was just fluff or the real deal.  The luggage thing and more room on the flight sound like the best thing for us.

We can’t wait to try this line after becoming Crystal orphans.  Already looking at the other offerings to see what else we may want to do.

• Like 1

Its a good change unless you have booked your own travel via BA or you had planned to stay in Ushaia pre or post cruise.   The aircraft used by DAP are very comfortable.  You have a private departure area in Santiago, the crew are wonderful and so friendly on the flight.   You get taken directly to the ship on arrival, whats not to like?

2 hours ago, sherylc said:

Does anyone know if this affects all of the Cloud Antarctica itineraries? We are booked mid-December 2022 and haven't heard of any changes. 

@sherylc I assume you mean the Dec. 17 holiday cruise including South Georgia, correct? We're on this cruise with you, and we received the email posted above yesterday (Friday the 15th). So (a) yes, it applies to this cruise, and (b) you may want to check your spam folder to make sure you don't have an email yesterday with a subject line "Important information regarding your upcoming voyage - Itinerary Change", and if not, check with your TA why you didn't receive the email from Silversea. 

As is typical with Silversea, the main website has not yet been updated to reflect that this cruise is no longer Ushuaia-Ushuaia, and MySilversea does not yet reflect the itinerary change, either. Eventually, these will catch up

On 4/15/2022 at 9:29 AM, maadimom said:

you benefit from an additional luggage allowance

Does anyone know what, exactly, this translates to? Since we have our own boots from a previous cruise and will be lugging them with us, luggage allowances are of genuine interest! 😉

21 hours ago, cruiseej said:

Does anyone know what, exactly, this translates to? Since we have our own boots from a previous cruise and will be lugging them with us, luggage allowances are of genuine interest! 😉

I was on this flight in November with 18 nights on the Explorer. I was on the inaugural flight. We flew to PW on DAP (the charter). The service was great. More leg room on this plane. Private lounge area away from the main passengers. They didn't weigh our carry-on luggage and mine was way over the weight and size limits allowed by the commercial airlines. My checked bag was about 8 lbs over the 50 lb limit and no issue. All in all it was a very pleasant flight. From the airport in PW, we loaded on vans at the plane and directly to the ship. I have never flown into Ushuaia, so I can't compare the difference. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, retiredand happy said:

They didn't weigh our carry-on luggage and mine was way over the weight and size limits allowed by the commercial airlines.

I guess that's what I was wondering — whether no weight/size limit for a carry-on bag is what they mean by "you benefit from an additional luggage allowance"? Or is there more? 

Of course, we have to fly to reach Santiago, so we still need to comply with commercial airline size & weigh limits for that flight. But we're flying business class, and I believe that will increase the weight limit from 50 pounds to 70 pounds per bag. If we won't have a problem with a bag between 50 and 70 pounds for the charter flight, then that will be just great. In fact, maybe we'll put the boots and some other bulky items in a duffel bag as an extra piece of checked luggage if we're not limited to one per person. Either the extra bag or heavier weight would be a big help in packing for a 3-week cold weather expedition cruise. 

On 4/17/2022 at 8:40 PM, cruiseej said:

I guess that's what I was wondering — whether no weight/size limit for a carry-on bag is what they mean by "you benefit from an additional luggage allowance"? Or is there more? 

Of course, we have to fly to reach Santiago, so we still need to comply with commercial airline size & weigh limits for that flight. But we're flying business class, and I believe that will increase the weight limit from 50 pounds to 70 pounds per bag. If we won't have a problem with a bag between 50 and 70 pounds for the charter flight, then that will be just great. In fact, maybe we'll put the boots and some other bulky items in a duffel bag as an extra piece of checked luggage if we're not limited to one per person. Either the extra bag or heavier weight would be a big help in packing for a 3-week cold weather expedition cruise. 

Just following up on what you have said about packing for a 3 week cold weather expedition, you will find you really dont need to pack too much.   You get a wonderful parka from SS with water/wind proof outer and really good liner.   You do need waterproof pants and thermal underwear but you only need two sets of the latter plus spare waterproof gloves.  Two or three pairs of warm socks are sufficient.   Dress on board is casual and you will find you dont need a lot of clothes.   Dont overpack it is just tedious dragging it around airports etc.  Rent or buy appropriate knee high insulated waterproof boots and you are all set.We have just got back from three weeks on Silver Explorer, we took three sets of "on board" clothing and three of most items of gear needed for zodiac riding and landing on shore.  Ladies can dress up simple outfits with different scarves, shawls and pashminas and mens dress is very casual just slacks, shirts and sweaters.   Have a great time.

• Like 2