beverage package change, why is this . . .

Woody14

So I am traveling with a minor and our always included gave me the classic alcohol and the minor the classic non alcohol.     In talking with Celebrity I can change my classic alcohol to a premium non alcohol for free,  but I have to pay to upgrade the minors classic non alcohol to a premium one.

9 minutes ago, Mark_K said:

The bigger question is why can you upgrade your package for free?   That’s not at all typical.  

I wouldn't think going from classic alcohol to premium non alcohol would be an upgrade

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Woody14 said:

So I am traveling with a minor and our always included gave me the classic alcohol and the minor the classic non alcohol.     In talking with Celebrity I can change my classic alcohol to a premium non alcohol for free,  but I have to pay to upgrade the minors classic non alcohol to a premium one.

Exactly! There should be a charge to upgrade from a classic non alcohol to premium alcohol package. Not sure where the confusion is.

14 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

Not sure I understand the confusion? 

Classic alcohol to premium NON-alcohol is a downgrade from what your booking included. 

For the minor, the included classic non-alcohol to a premium non-alcohol package is an upgrade. 

my issue is we paid the same price for the cruise on a per person basis.   so if I go with the downgraded non alcohol package which will be premium why will the other only be classic.   If the minor was 21 and not 17 they would have had a classic alcohol for the same price we booked

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Woody14 said:

my issue is we paid the same price for the cruise on a per person basis.   so if I go with the downgraded non alcohol package which will be premium why will the other only be classic.   If the minor was 21 and not 17 they would have had a classic alcohol for the same price we booked

The issues with AI pricing have been discussed over and over.  Your situation at least three times I can remember.   If they upgrade you to premium non alcohol you should be able to solve the problem.

Let's say that you didn't plan this, maybe you were lifted and shifted, but you are on a cruise with a grown child who is 20. During the cruise, he turns 21. Under All Included, would he be stuck with the non-alcoholic package during the entire cruise or would they upgrade him to the alcohol package on his birthday?

1 hour ago, Woody14 said:

Yes, that’s true, but he is a minor so is getting the non alcoholic package,  You are lucky that they are allowing you to change to the premium non alcoholic package. They never used to do that. Is it only the 2 of you in the cabin? The upgrade really doesn’t cost that much, so If he wants it just pay for it.

It's basic cost principle.  If it cost Celebrity $800 for a classic alcohol package, and $500 for a premium non-alcohol and $400 for a classic non-alcohol -- (I made these numbers up to illustrate - I have no idea the real numbers) then they will allow you to move from classic alcohol to premium non-alcohol for free as it saves them money.  What was allowed in your all inclusive is a classic non-alcohol for the minor.  If the minor wants to shift to premium non-alcohol, they need to pay to upgrade.  So basically, what is included in your package is "Classic" either Alcohol or non-alcohol.    Since the classic alcohol is > expensive, they are therefore shifting you to premium non-alcohol.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ehall said:

It's basic cost principle.  If it cost Celebrity $800 for a classic alcohol package, and $500 for a premium non-alcohol and $400 for a classic non-alcohol -- (I made these numbers up to illustrate - I have no idea the real numbers) then they will allow you to move from classic alcohol to premium non-alcohol for free as it saves them money.  What was allowed in your all inclusive is a classic non-alcohol for the minor.  If the minor wants to shift to premium non-alcohol, they need to pay to upgrade.  So basically, what is included in your package is "Classic" either Alcohol or non-alcohol.    Since the classic alcohol is > expensive, they are therefore shifting you to premium non-alcohol.  

totally agree with your logic here except for 1 thing.    we booked 2 cabins one with 2 adults who both received the classic alcohol and  one with 1 adult and 1 minor adult got the classic alcohol and the minor got the classic non alcohol.   Both cabins were the same price.   So really the minor is paying more than the adults when you factor in the beverage package.  

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Woody14 said:

totally agree with your logic here except for 1 thing.    we booked 2 cabins one with 2 adults who both received the classic alcohol and  one with 1 adult and 1 minor adult got the classic alcohol and the minor got the classic non alcohol.   Both cabins were the same price.   So really the minor is paying more than the adults when you factor in the beverage package.  

Yep - I suspect that's just the way it shakes out since they don't allow those under 21 to have the alcohol package.  What I would do if it were me  -is wait until I was onboard, then go to guest relations and ask them to "downgrade" the adult to no alcohol and move the minor to premium no alcohol since no alcohol would consumed.  Might stand a better chance of no additional charges.  I'm assuming here the adult just wants the classic no alcohol one?  I'm not sure the difference in the package items.... But either way - I would do it onboard.

On 4/16/2022 at 7:50 PM, Woody14 said:

you are looking at this incorrectly.

You are asking them to take the savings from downgrading you from classic alcohol to premium non-alcohol and apply it to the cost for upgrading your child from classic to premium non-alcohol. Nobody does that.

When you book a cruise you get classic alcohol and minor get classic non-alcohol.  That's the baseline. When you start to make changes, then you pay for any increases and you do not get credit for an decreases.

23 hours ago, Ommadawn said:

Let's say that you didn't plan this, maybe you were lifted and shifted, but you are on a cruise with a grown child who is 20. During the cruise, he turns 21. Under All Included, would he be stuck with the non-alcoholic package during the entire cruise or would they upgrade him to the alcohol package on his birthday?

the website states (just do a little looking) that a person's "age" is what it is at embarkation and does not change during the duration of the trip. So if a minor at boarding, then treated as a minor for the length of the trip.

3 hours ago, Guppy99 said:

the website states (just do a little looking) that a person's "age" is what it is at embarkation and does not change during the duration of the trip. So if a minor at boarding, then treated as a minor for the length of the trip.

Thanks for the answer. That would suck. LOL!

• Like 1

• 9 months later...