NCL Getaway in Bermuda..how was it?

big al

Hi guys...I was wondering those of you who were on the Getaway in Bermuda this past week, how was it? What about the COVID protocols? Did you have to show proof of a negative test, vaccination cards, etc., ? Were most of the island stores & restaurants open? Appreciate all the info you can share...I am going in mid August & hope things are better by then..

Big Al

I was on the Pearl to Bermuda last week. 

Because its Bermuda, currently you need to get a Bermuda Travel Authorization ($40 + foreign transaction fee) from the Bermuda government. This requires proof of vaccination, as well as a negative Covid test within 4 days (2 days if it's an antigen test). 

To get into the terminal, I had to show my boarding pass, my Covid vaccination card, my negative test, and my BTA. My understanding is that someone missing either the negative test or BTA was still admitted, but pulled out of line to complete the remaining steps.

From my quick walk around the Dockyard, pretty much everything was open in the mall.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

I was on the Pearl to Bermuda last week. 

Because its Bermuda, currently you need to get a Bermuda Travel Authorization ($40 + foreign transaction fee) from the Bermuda government. This requires proof of vaccination, as well as a negative Covid test within 4 days (2 days if it's an antigen test). 

Where/how do we get the Bermuda Travel Authorization and pay the fee?  We booked through a PCC and he made no mention of this.  I have 2 Bermuda cruises coming up this year and this is the first I've heard about it.  I'm guessing it's available on Bermuda's official tourism page.

26 minutes ago, TenForward said:

Where/how do we get the Bermuda Travel Authorization and pay the fee?  We booked through a PCC and he made no mention of this.  I have 2 Bermuda cruises coming up this year and this is the first I've heard about it.  I'm guessing it's available on Bermuda's official tourism page.

It is absolutely critical that you take the time to read the information sent to you from the cruise line for your cruise. And not on the Bermuda tourism page which may differ from the “deal” NCL a has for your cruise. 

In the past, passengers have been denied boarding and left behind for not having the right documentation. This week, a ship ended up having to delay departure until the next day,,, don’t expect NCL to do this every week. 

General travel information is on link below, but may be different for your cruise. 

https://www.ncl.com/travel-requirements-by-country

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, TenForward said:

Where/how do we get the Bermuda Travel Authorization and pay the fee?  We booked through a PCC and he made no mention of this.

There are scores of topic discussions on this on both the NCL board and Bermuda board. 

As for notice, NCL's confirmation email for your cruises have links to requirements in other countries and they will also remind you a week or so prior to your cruise.

With the proviso that covid requirements have, and will likely continue to change, as of now, to visit Bermuda on an NCL ship, basically get your proctored antigen test 2 days prior, use that to prove negative test to NCL and also use the same test to upload to Bermuda as proof. 

You should initially apply for your Bermuda Travel Authorization (and pay the $40 fee) about 3 weeks prior to your cruise.

Here's the website

https://www.gov.bm/cruise-travel-authorisation

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

General travel information is on link below, but may be different for your cruise. 

https://www.ncl.com/travel-requirements-by-country

9 hours ago, JGmf said:

You should initially apply for your Bermuda Travel Authorization (and pay the $40 fee) about 3 weeks prior to your cruise.

Here's the website

Thank you both.  I have been reading about NCL's Covid protocols but this was the first mention of a BTA I've seen.  I appreciate the links and will definitely be reading thoroughly.

Do not wait to do the Bermuda Authorization at the last minute. I have heard that a lot of people waited until 2 days before so they can upload their Covid test and vax card together and could not get the clearance in time.  They are the people that held up the ship from leaving on time.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, JGmf said:

There are scores of topic discussions on this on both the NCL board and Bermuda board. 

As for notice, NCL's confirmation email for your cruises have links to requirements in other countries and they will also remind you a week or so prior to your cruise.

With the proviso that covid requirements have, and will likely continue to change, as of now, to visit Bermuda on an NCL ship, basically get your proctored antigen test 2 days prior, use that to prove negative test to NCL and also use the same test to upload to Bermuda as proof. 

Here's the website

We're about to book the Joy for Bermuda in mid-June. The Bermuda gvt website seems to say that we will need an Antigen test 2 days prior to Embarkation (in New York) which is no problem, but it also seems to say that for cruises where Bermuda is not the first port of call, we will also need another test 2 days prior to disembarking in Bermuda, which means getting tested in Norfolk, which is the 2nd day port stop. How are people handling this? Can't seem to find the info on the NCL site

Edited by lx200gps

22 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

We're about to book the Joy for Bermuda in mid-June. The Bermuda gvt website seems to say that we will need an Antigen test 2 days prior to Embarkation (in New York) which is no problem, but it also seems to say that for cruises where Bermuda is not the first port of call, we will also need another test 2 days prior to disembarking in Bermuda, which means getting tested in Norfolk, which is the 2nd day port stop. How are people handling this? Can't seem to find the info on the NCL site

they have been various posts about this on the forum. When you return from Norfolk, they do the testing onboard the ship. if you do not get off the ship, then you dont need a test 

5 minutes ago, shof515 said:

they have been various posts about this on the forum. When you return from Norfolk, they do the testing onboard the ship. if you do not get off the ship, then you dont need a test 

Thanks, we're a bit rushed to get the fine details worked out before we book, I knew about the pre-departure test but I had missed this bit about needing to be tested in Norfolk. How much does this test cost or does NCL cover it as part of our cruise fare? I assume they test everyone and then any one unfortunate to test positive is kicked off the ship in Norfolk prior to sailing?