Drink packages?

cjd930

I'm not sure where you heard this but the drink package starts the moment you walk onboard if you purchased it in advance. In fact it would start immediately if you purchased it when you walk onto the ship. We sailed the Mardi Gras two weeks ago, the in-laws had the drink package and they were getting coffees within 10 minutes of being onboard. The drink package was active. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, cjd930 said:

I'm just curious but can anyone tell me why Carnival's drink packages don't start until day 2 of your cruise?

What you may have heard, is cruises out of Galveston TX and NY, Cheers starts on day 2.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bar1068 said:

Yea, some weird liquor laws related to taxes that apply to cruising out of those parts. 

It just seems odd to me, leaving out of NY in July. Cruised many times on other lines from NY and the package always started on day 1

9 minutes ago, cjd930 said:

It just seems odd to me, leaving out of NY in July. Cruised many times on other lines from NY and the package always started on day 1

I've heard the same. Apparently Royal has something they do to purchase some allotment? of liquor they can serve on day 1 or only day 1 or something like that. Then day 2 all their onboard liquor is available for their drink packages. All kinda odd to me.  

And just as an FYI, I know that out of NYC, that is  a Carnival practice.  I have sailed several times out of NYC on NCL and they charge the tax when using the drink package.  I guess Carnival does not want to deal with that process (or their technology does not support charging taxes).  The NCL tax is based upon the actual price of the drink and not some made up number.  So if you order a drink which is normally $15.00, you will be taxed on the 15 and get a bill for a dollar or so, depending on the tax rate.

1 hour ago, imacruiser99 said:

And just as an FYI, I know that out of NYC, that is  a Carnival practice.  I have sailed several times out of NYC on NCL and they charge the tax when using the drink package.  I guess Carnival does not want to deal with that process (or their technology does not support charging taxes).  The NCL tax is based upon the actual price of the drink and not some made up number.  So if you order a drink which is normally $15.00, you will be taxed on the 15 and get a bill for a dollar or so, depending on the tax rate.

Carnival also charges tax when in a US port.  

4 hours ago, bar1068 said:

I've heard the same. Apparently Royal has something they do to purchase some allotment? of liquor they can serve on day 1 or only day 1 or something like that. Then day 2 all their onboard liquor is available for their drink packages. All kinda odd to me.  

Royal sails from Cape Liberty/Bayonne New Jersey and not subject to New York tax law.

On 4/17/2022 at 9:45 AM, ctlyf said:

Got this screen shot cruzely.com

image.thumb.png.bbbfcacf1464e8c0cb68ebcfd3194e6c.png

This is true, however, you can buy a drink on the cruise ship out of Galveston, you just can't use the cheers package. It's weird, I know. I was on a cruise in December out of Galveston and I had the cheers package but I bought two drink day 1 of the cruise but day 2 and the rest of the cruise, I used my cheers package. From what I understand, this is not a problem on all of the other ships. The good news is you will not be charged for day 1. So if you are on a 7 day cruise out of galveston, you will pay for 6 days on the cheers package, not 7. 

• Like 1

On 4/17/2022 at 9:38 AM, bar1068 said:

Yea, some weird liquor laws related to taxes that apply to cruising out of those parts. 

I have previously done some research digging deep into TABC regulations and it is more than just the taxes it seems. Some of what I found has dealt with customers that buy a "package" can't pay less per drink than than those without said package. If the daily limit was 5 drinks (basically the "breakeven" point of Cheers) it would be fine, but if someone got all 15 on day one that makes each drink approx $3.46 and those without the package are still paying approx $10. Navigating this loophole would be an accounting nightmare that makes it more difficult. If I remember correctly this rule was made to counteract drink all you can drink for $5 nights if in the door by 8 and Ladies drink free all night with $5 cover charges. In my younger days I remember being to go out to the clubs with less than $20 and have one heck of a time on Nickel nights. Of course Texas also wants their taxes on the alcohol paid. They now even want to nail you for bringing liquor back from your cruise claiming the ability to enforce a tax on what you bought "duty free".

• Like 1