State of Seattle

seagunthera

25 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Yep...the last one just disappeared off the front page a week or so ago...

Thank you, I will find it and give it a read.  I have a cruise planned leaving out of Seattle so I was hoping to get a handle on where to stay and feel good about walking (I won't have a car) around during the day/night.  I am born and raised in a big city (Los Angeles) so I'm not trying to "bash" Seattle but rather, get a better handle on the current situation.  I can't imagine the homeless encampments and growing crime stats I see reported in the news are a total fabrication.  I have answered similar questions for those here on CC leaving out of San Pedro and in no way become defensive about the current issues facing my fabulous city.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

The full moon setting behind the Salish Sea and the snow covered Olympic Mountains on Easter morning.  

PXL_20220417_133135572.jpg

Gorgeous!  You certainly are privileged to live in such an amazing part of town. 

25 minutes ago, seagunthera said:

Thank you, I will find it and give it a read.  I have a cruise planned leaving out of Seattle so I was hoping to get a handle on where to stay and feel good about walking (I won't have a car) around during the day/night.  I am born and raised in a big city (Los Angeles) so I'm not trying to "bash" Seattle but rather, get a better handle on the current situation.  I can't imagine the homeless encampments and growing crime stats I see reported in the news are a total fabrication.  I have answered similar questions for those here on CC leaving out of San Pedro and in no way become defensive about the current issues facing my fabulous city.

It's not as bad as one TV network would like you to believe. 

8 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

In addition to beautiful vistas, the Seattle area has some beautiful flowering bushes, like this camellia.

PXL_20220417_235317369(1).jpg

Again, gorgeous.  This is what my post is about, however:  https://www.seattletimes.com/business/mixed-signals-on-the-state-of-downtown-seattle/

In short: a recent poll found that 24% of tourists felt safe in downtown Seattle during the day and 14% at night due, in part, to the 900% increase in homeless tents/encampments.  I would think the people of Seattle would want to do everything in their power to encourage and keep safe the tourists willing to come to the city during this difficult time.  While I love the flowers and mountaintops, some real-world info on areas to avoid would be most appreciated. 

• Like 1

Now that I'm researching (I was being lazy by asking locals for help), I came across this video of homeless encampments taken four months ago. While I may not agree with some of the opinions stated in this video, it does show areas of concern. 

• Like 1

Hi segunthera, Since I'm from the east side of Lake Washington & I don't get to downtown often, I am reluctant to offer an in depth opinion since others on this board live in Seattle itself.  I just know that I am not completely comfortable downtown these days.  It's very hard to deny that crime exists in the downtown core with a straight face.  There are others with a vested interest in making it look like nightmare city.   One good thing you've got going for your stay is that in May it will stay light fairly late into the evening.  Here is a link to the "official" crime stats as of the end of March.  So judge for yourself.  I would certainly choose a hotel with a good concierge to guide your visits & arrange dinner & a tour.  There are so many beautiful areas and vistas so make sure you maximize your short time here with fewer distractions.  A top-notch hotel with good services is your best bet.

Here's the link:  http://www.seattle.gov/police/information-and-data/crime-dashboard   Enjoy your stay.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, nowornever said:

Hi segunthera, Since I'm from the east side of Lake Washington & I don't get to downtown often, I am reluctant to offer an in depth opinion since others on this board live in Seattle itself.  I just know that I am not completely comfortable downtown these days.  It's very hard to deny that crime exists in the downtown core with a straight face.  There are others with a vested interest in making it look like nightmare city.   One good thing you've got going for your stay is that in May it will stay light fairly late into the evening.  Here is a link to the "official" crime stats as of the end of March.  So judge for yourself.  I would certainly choose a hotel with a good concierge to guide your visits & arrange dinner & a tour.  There are so many beautiful areas and vistas so make sure you maximize your short time here with fewer distractions.  A top-notch hotel with good services is your best bet.

Here's the link:  http://www.seattle.gov/police/information-and-data/crime-dashboard   Enjoy your stay.

Thanks so much for the advice and stats.  I've been to Seattle several times and have thoroughly enjoyed each of my stays.  I usually opt to rent an airbnb as I do like to support the people vs. big hotel chains but I think I will take your advice and this time around book a stay at a reputable hotel.  

• Like 1

I was on a cruise recently and was having a conversation with some others about future travel plans.  I mentioned that, after the cruise, we were headed up to Portland, Oregon to visit our daughters.

One woman said "Oh, my God, I would NEVER visit Portland.  That has to be the worst and most dangerous city in America.  Someone there tried to light fire to a police station!!"

I said, "yeah...I'm not concerned...Portland is a beautiful city with a lot of nice people"....and I asked her where she was from.

"Oklahoma City"

I said "Ohhhh...Yeah, in Portland some nut TRIED to light a fire at a police station.  BUT, Oklahoma City!?!?  If Portland is dangerous...Why do you live in Oklahoma City? That's where YOU had some nut actually BOMB the Federal Building and KILLED a couple of hundred people!"

Everyone laughed...But, seriously?  Homelessness is a problem everywhere.   We need to HELP those people.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Yep...the last one just disappeared off the front page a week or so ago...

I think it was deleted altogether, and about time.

Like most big cities in the US (and, indeed, worldwide) Seattle has a problem with homelessness.  Many people feel the city should be doing more to address the situation, but the reality is that under Washington state law, cities (as opposed to counties and the State itself) have few powers to intervene; the courts, health systems, jails... are run by other levels of government.  Sending homeless street people to jail doesn't work when the jails are overcrowded to begin with or when a shortage of prosecutors means only the most serious cases go to court.   King County's jail population had to be reduced drastically during the pandemic as the jails were becoming Covid "hot spots" second to none.

The pandemic also had a big impact on downtown Seattle, much the same as in other big cities.  Many office workers stayed home and telecommuted, with the result that many downtown businesses that depended on them went bust - cafes, shops, etc.  Seattle is starting to come back, but it's not going to be overnight.

But in reality, the situation isn't all that terrible.  There are a couple of streets and corners that pedestrians might want to avoid, particularly at night, but these are isolated.  There have been no reports of tourists being assaulted or harmed by street people for years; and talk of "violence" or "rioting" in Seattle is two years old.  By the time cruise season starts, trust me, the tourists will outnumber the street people by several orders of magnitude.  

Our city is also one of neighborhoods, many of which are delightful and worthy of exploring.  We have world-class museums, parks, places to play and eat, ferries to ride and kayaks to paddle.  You can see three national parks from downtown Seattle, walk through a nature reserve that feels like you're a million miles from the city, even though you're right in the middle of it.  

So come, enjoy our town, and don't overly concern yourself with imaginary safety issues.  Of course, use good judgement, particularly when crossing streets or train tracks, and do try to get out of downtown so you can see some of the reasons we choose to live here.  You won't regret it.

West Seattle water taxi

P1000136aHs1200.jpg

Fishermen's Terminal

P1000106as.jpg

Seattle Center, Memorial Day weekend

folklife2009-038asm.jpg

Museum of Flight

20110716_22a.jpg

Alki Beach

P1000154s2.jpg

Edited by Gardyloo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

The last thread about the state of Seattle was deleted, but in that post, I took pictures of the touristy areas in Seattle on my way to and from work.  I live outside of the city now but my office is downtown Seattle. There have been vast improvements to downtown since Summer 2020, and even more so than this winter, as they know tourist season is their bread and butter.

You grew up in Los Angeles, so the problems in Seattle are like that in LA, but on a lesser scale (I had a vendor meeting with a manufacturer in Skid Row a few years back and work put me in a hotel in downtown LA  - I definitely feel safer in Seattle). Treat Seattle like  you do any major city, and you will be OK. 

Avoid 3rd Ave - that street was never great before the pandemic and while I've walked on it plenty of times, you can easily walk on 2nd, 4th or 5th and have a better experience. Pioneer Square has been massively cleaned up - but if you're still nervous, wait to explore the International District/Pioneer Square the afternoon of a Sounders or Mariners game - there'll be tons of people and security around.

I don't blame you for the news making you nervous - since I go into the office on a voluntary basis, the local news was making me second guess my decision.  Does it still have big city problems? Yes. Do I feel safe going downtown alone being a female who's under 5'1"? Also yes.  I also spent the night in the city when a friend came to visit, and Capitol Hill felt safer in January than it did pre COVID. 

The one thing you do have to be prepared for are hills - San Francisco is named the hilly city on the West Coast, but Seattle can give you a run for its money! 🙂 Enjoy our city. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, seagunthera said:

...I came across this video of homeless encampments taken four months ago. While I may not agree with some of the opinions stated in this video, it does show areas of concern.

The video is a sad representation of what many visitors think Seattle is like.  Unless you’re seeking out these areas, most of what is seen isn’t anywhere near where a visitor would be staying or exploring. Most of the locals who live in the area know the downtown area has improved significantly in the recent past and don’t see any huge out of the ordinary safety concerns.  But, because of videos like this, some think the entire downtown area is a wasteland.

There is another video as someone is walking through Belltown and passing a block that is all boarded up with graffiti on the walls.  The narrative is that it is because of all the homelessness and crime. Actually, the building is being prepared to be demolished and had nothing to do with either although for someone visiting Seattle it would look pretty bad.

Much of what has been posted is very misleading, like this video.

And, Garyloo, that can’t be Seattle, there’s no homeless  people!

Edited by Glaciers
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, psuboater said:

The last thread about the state of Seattle was deleted, but in that post, I took pictures of the touristy areas in Seattle on my way to and from work.  I live outside of the city now but my office is downtown Seattle. There have been vast improvements to downtown since Summer 2020, and even more so than this winter, as they know tourist season is their bread and butter.

You grew up in Los Angeles, so the problems in Seattle are like that in LA, but on a lesser scale (I had a vendor meeting with a manufacturer in Skid Row a few years back and work put me in a hotel in downtown LA  - I definitely feel safer in Seattle). Treat Seattle like  you do any major city, and you will be OK. 

Avoid 3rd Ave - that street was never great before the pandemic and while I've walked on it plenty of times, you can easily walk on 2nd, 4th or 5th and have a better experience. Pioneer Square has been massively cleaned up - but if you're still nervous, wait to explore the International District/Pioneer Square the afternoon of a Sounders or Mariners game - there'll be tons of people and security around.

I don't blame you for the news making you nervous - since I go into the office on a voluntary basis, the local news was making me second guess my decision.  Does it still have big city problems? Yes. Do I feel safe going downtown alone being a female who's under 5'1"? Also yes.  I also spent the night in the city when a friend came to visit, and Capitol Hill felt safer in January than it did pre COVID. 

The one thing you do have to be prepared for are hills - San Francisco is named the hilly city on the West Coast, but Seattle can give you a run for its money! 🙂 Enjoy our city. 

Thank you for thoroughly reading my post and for the warning about 3rd Street.  It's exactly the kind of info I am looking for and appreciate it.  When I opened my post with "so much is made on the news of the homeless situation and lawlessness in Seattle these days- I'm wondering what the reality is?" I was hoping to hear from actual residents to clarify what is being reported on various news outlets versus what is actually happening (and where). 

Wow re: your story about Skid Row!  It's so sad when tourists book some of the awesome hotels close to that area only to arrive and realize they are far from safe walking the street during the day (let alone held hostage in the hotel by night).  I do my best to guide people who ask questions about LA here on CC and am so grateful you took a moment to respond to mine.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Glaciers said:

The video is a sad representation of what many visitors think Seattle is like.  Unless you’re seeking out these areas, most of what is seen isn’t anywhere near where a visitor would be staying or exploring. Most of the locals who live in the area know the downtown area has improved significantly in the recent past and don’t see any huge out of the ordinary safety concerns.  But, because of videos like this, some think the entire downtown area is a wasteland.

There is another video as someone is walking through Belltown and passing a block that is all boarded up with graffiti on the walls.  The narrative is that it is because of all the homelessness and crime. Actually, the building is being prepared to be demolished and had nothing to do with either although for someone visiting Seattle it would look pretty bad.

Much of what has been posted is very misleading, like this video.

And, Garyloo, that can’t be Seattle, there’s no homeless  people!

This is exactly why I started this post and began with: "So much is made on the news of the homeless situation and lawlessness in Seattle these days- I'm wondering what the reality is?"  The hope was that residents or past/recent cruisers might offer suggestions for places to avoid while putting travelers at ease about the remaining downtown area as a whole. The crime stats don't lie and are fairly high over the past three months (especially in QA and DT).  It's too bad the post devolved into responses from defensive folks looking to make a political/social statement and/or cause drama.  Other than 3rd Street, can you point to any other areas a person on foot might want to avoid? Thanks in advance for any insight you are able to offer. 

6 hours ago, Gardyloo said:

I think it was deleted altogether, and about time.

Like most big cities in the US (and, indeed, worldwide) Seattle has a problem with homelessness.  Many people feel the city should be doing more to address the situation, but the reality is that under Washington state law, cities (as opposed to counties and the State itself) have few powers to intervene; the courts, health systems, jails... are run by other levels of government.  Sending homeless street people to jail doesn't work when the jails are overcrowded to begin with or when a shortage of prosecutors means only the most serious cases go to court.   King County's jail population had to be reduced drastically during the pandemic as the jails were becoming Covid "hot spots" second to none.

The pandemic also had a big impact on downtown Seattle, much the same as in other big cities.  Many office workers stayed home and telecommuted, with the result that many downtown businesses that depended on them went bust - cafes, shops, etc.  Seattle is starting to come back, but it's not going to be overnight.

But in reality, the situation isn't all that terrible.  There are a couple of streets and corners that pedestrians might want to avoid, particularly at night, but these are isolated.  There have been no reports of tourists being assaulted or harmed by street people for years; and talk of "violence" or "rioting" in Seattle is two years old.  By the time cruise season starts, trust me, the tourists will outnumber the street people by several orders of magnitude.  

Our city is also one of neighborhoods, many of which are delightful and worthy of exploring.  We have world-class museums, parks, places to play and eat, ferries to ride and kayaks to paddle.  You can see three national parks from downtown Seattle, walk through a nature reserve that feels like you're a million miles from the city, even though you're right in the middle of it.  

So come, enjoy our town, and don't overly concern yourself with imaginary safety issues.  Of course, use good judgement, particularly when crossing streets or train tracks, and do try to get out of downtown so you can see some of the reasons we choose to live here.  You won't regret it.

West Seattle water taxi

P1000136aHs1200.jpg

Fishermen's Terminal

P1000106as.jpg

Seattle Center, Memorial Day weekend

folklife2009-038asm.jpg

Museum of Flight

20110716_22a.jpg

Alki Beach

P1000154s2.jpg

Thank you for your response and gorgeous photos.  I have enjoyed Seattle's beauty during pre/post cruise visits in the past and am hoping to replicate that same experience this time around.

I am far from being alone in my concern about sailing in and out of the city and if Seattle wishes to continue on their comeback trajectory, the city would be smart to go out of its way to put at ease the mind of the average traveler.  Offering specific areas to avoid rather than glossing over the unfortunate reality would go a long way IMHO. I am a city girl, street savvy, born and raised in LA; just think how many people are not and are avoiding Seattle based on what is being reported in the news.  

If you can pinpoint any blocks/areas I should avoid, it would be much appreciated. 

1 hour ago, seagunthera said:

This is exactly why I started this post and began with: "So much is made on the news of the homeless situation and lawlessness in Seattle these days- I'm wondering what the reality is?"  The hope was that residents or past/recent cruisers might offer suggestions for places to avoid while putting travelers at ease about the remaining downtown area as a whole. The crime stats don't lie and are fairly high over the past three months (especially in QA and DT).  It's too bad the post devolved into responses from defensive folks looking to make a political/social statement and/or cause drama.  Other than 3rd Street, can you point to any other areas a person on foot might want to avoid? Thanks in advance for any insight you are able to offer. 

Pioneer Square/Yesler Way is touristy, but has had its issues in the past couple of years. Again, when I was there 2 weeks ago, I felt safe, but it's an area I feel more on guard even pre-pandemic. If there's a soccer or baseball game that day, my worries are way less just because the sheer amount of people there. But they've done a ton of work to keep tents out of the square and have since cleared the encampments.  I've seen concerts at Century Link field and have walked Pioneer Square at night with friends trying to get away from the stadium to get a cheaper Uber and never had any issues. 

Belltown - Between 1st and 2nd are a lot of trendy bars and restaurants - but sometimes there can be issues here as well, especially on 3rd. If you've been to San Diego, the closest thing I can compare it to is  East Village. However, it wouldn't stop me from going there by any means(I took public transit to work in and out of Belltown for 3 years)-the area is very unique and Some Random Bar is worth a stop).

If anyone is wondering why 3rd Ave is bad - the street is a bus only corridor, and the fare enforcement is almost non-existent. So there are those who abuse the system and take the busses for free to get around the city (and then drug use/poor behavior comes with it).

But overall, everywhere you go in Seattle is *relatively* safe. I used to live in Philadelphia, and now when my friends here visit Philly, I draw lines around a map where tourists can go and where you definitely should NOT go. Seattle is not one of those cities. There's more so areas to be on alert of your surroundings, but nowhere of "they're going to know you're a tourist and do something bad to you" areas. 

• Thanks 1