Showing your ESTA

Newbury newbie

We were on Silhouette out of Fort Lauderdale back in February, having flown in from the UK. When we arrived at the port for embarkation we were organised and prepared to show our passports, Xpress Pass and hard copy records of full vaccinations and the recent negative LFT we’d taken the day before. But that’s when the X agent threw a curve ball and asked for our proof of ESTA! Luckily I had a copy of these that I had to scramble around in the travel wallet to find, but have never been asked to show this before, to anyone. I offered that I wouldn’t have been standing there and let into the US if I didn’t have an ESTA, but that wasn’t accepted!! Is this a new X procedure, to view proof of ESTA? Or just a whim of that particular agent? Be interested in the experience of other non-US pax, so next time I’m better prepared!

Edited by Newbury newbie

17 minutes ago, canderson said:

Too strange.  Immigration at the airport, yes, but cruise line check-in?  Bizarre.  Will be surprised if you hear of others who were required to present any kind of visa.

My thoughts entirely! But that’s what happened. Wonder what they’d have done if I didn’t have a hard copy printed off with me. 

CBP published a document entitled Do I Need A Passport To Cruise on 2/2/2022. The document states that "an approved ESTA will be required for re-entering the United States as a cruise ship passenger."

Celebrity's FAQ on travel documents states that passengers "will be required to present their ESTA authorization approval receipt in order to board the vessel on applicable voyages."

Celebrity isn't alone in noting this requirement. Carnival states:

Guests will need to print and carry their Electronic System for Travel Authorization as it will need to be presented at cruise check-in along with their passport. An ESTA needs to be completed for each family member traveling on the cruise. 

While this may have been your first experience having to show your ESTA when checking in, it is a requirement.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

CBP published a document entitled Do I Need A Passport To Cruise on 2/2/2022. The document states that "an approved ESTA will be required for re-entering the United States as a cruise ship passenger."

Celebrity's FAQ on travel documents states that passengers "will be required to present their ESTA authorization approval receipt in order to board the vessel on applicable voyages."

Celebrity isn't alone in noting this requirement. Carnival states:

Guests will need to print and carry their Electronic System for Travel Authorization as it will need to be presented at cruise check-in along with their passport. An ESTA needs to be completed for each family member traveling on the cruise. 

While this may have been your first experience having to show your ESTA when checking in, it is a requirement.

Well I’ve learnt something today after posting this comment. Note to self - make sure you’ve got a copy of your ESTA’s to hand!! 

Thanks for the clarification Fouremco

50 minutes ago, Newbury newbie said:

Well I’ve learnt something today after posting this comment. Note to self - make sure you’ve got a copy of your ESTA’s to hand!! 

Thanks for the clarification Fouremco

You're very welcome. Cheers!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, emmas gran said:

As a fellow Brit we always print off ESTA when going over the pond

We also print off our ESTA’s, too. It’s just we’ve never been asked to see hard copies before! To me it seemed unusual, but would now appear to be the norm.

44 minutes ago, Newbury newbie said:

We also print off our ESTA’s, too. It’s just we’ve never been asked to see hard copies before! To me it seemed unusual, but would now appear to be the norm.

April 3rd Equinox cruise was the first time I’ve ever been asked to show them - I did have paper copies but not handy and like you was a bit thrown. Airport never asked to see them as they are linked to your passport. I’ll certainly have them handier for the next USA cruise.

Wendy

4 minutes ago, frankc2 said:

Where do you get and ESTA "card"?

You get an Electronic Travel Authority on line.  It acts like a visa.  Canada requires one or A FULL VISA  for residents of every country except the USA.  

For a card you print it out.

If from the US on an Alaska cruise you do not need one.