No more masks on flights in the US. Also Terminals no longer under mandate.

I fly on Friday for my cruise on Symphony, and I got this email from Delta today:

Your-IND-MIA-Trip-Details-imahockeymom-gmail-com-Gmail.thumb.png.7617803f65d31ad538dc2723e190980b.png

For what it's worth, I'm flying from Indianapolis to JFK/NYC to Miami, and on the return from Fort Lauderdale to Atlanta to Indianapolis.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

I thought NYC airports were going to attempt to continue mask mandates

That's not what Delta is saying.... of course, with this being brand new, it might all change when NYC finds out that they don't run the world.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

15 minutes ago, brillohead said:

`

16 minutes ago, brillohead said:

That's not what Delta is saying.... of course, with this being brand new, it might all change when NYC finds out that they don't run the world.

Delta is saying you don't have to wear a mask on aircraft, they can't control the ports authority policies. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Palmetto Pilot said:

NYC Ports authority is continuing the mask mandates. As a JFK based pilot, I was a little upset about this. 

Cape Liberty is under the Port Authority NY NJ.  😞

But, it's really not that big of a deal to wear a mask for the short check in process.

The interesting thing about NYC and Chicago, the city can have a mandate, but who in the airport will enforce the requirement? Do the city have enough port authority officers to enforce such a requirement? Before when it was at the federal level, the TSA was already at those facilities.

You can mandate all you want, the question becomes enforcement and how it can be done.

• Like 2

Hopefully this leads the way to removing masking mandates on cruise ships. With kids who are too young to get tested its going to be hard to explain why 99% of the people they see are not wearing masks but we are required to (not just choosing to).

They have been on a cruise back in December with masking all over the ship with no issue. Just harder to do when they haven't basically worn masks since a plane trip in January and school has never had masking requirements.

As soon as the vaccine age limit is lowered we will get them vaccinated but until then its just a waiting game.

1 hour ago, Another_Critic said:

Cape Liberty is under the Port Authority NY NJ.  😞

But, it's really not that big of a deal to wear a mask for the short check in process.

NJ has dropped the mandate at Newark and on mass transit so I’m assuming there won’t be a mask requirement in the terminal at Cape Liberty.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

Just heard the Biden administration IS going to appeal the ruling🙄

I'm really happy to hear that.  There's a whole lot of folks (kids under 5, immunocompromised people) who are at much greater risk with the mask mandate not in place when cases are rising.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, shutterbug63 said:

I'm really happy to hear that.  There's a whole lot of folks (kids under 5, immunocompromised people) who are at much greater risk with the mask mandate not in place when cases are rising.

Personally have kids under 5 and if I was worried at this point I wouldn't be taking them on a cruise since 99% of people are not going to be masked at this point.

At a certain point actual law is more important than safety. If its truly a safety issue then you apply the requirements through the correct legal channels.

We will see what happens but it seems mostly that rules are getting struck down (especially from the Federal level).

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

Only if the CDC thinks it is still necessary at the end of the recent extension that was to end May 3. They are monitoring the uptick in cases across the country.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Babr said:

Only if the CDC thinks it is still necessary at the end of the recent extension that was to end May 3. They are monitoring the uptick in cases across the country.

Does the CDC have any specific power at this point though? They have a threat but at this point they seemingly have lost every legal battle they have entered in to in the past 6 months unless I missed something?

At this point its the "threat" of the CDC which is making the cruise lines tow the line for the time being. Air travel not having masking will start to open the door possibly for relaxing of rules for cruise lines. Time will tell.

I wouldn't expect any changes before mid may but who knows.

2 minutes ago, J0Y0US said:

Does the CDC have any specific power at this point though? They have a threat but at this point they seemingly have lost every legal battle they have entered in to in the past 6 months unless I missed something?

At this point its the "threat" of the CDC which is making the cruise lines tow the line for the time being. Air travel not having masking will start to open the door possibly for relaxing of rules for cruise lines. Time will tell.

I wouldn't expect any changes before mid may but who knows.

Won’t comment on any of that. Just adding was reported as a response to the current order.

They might appeal, but I'm not sure it will work.  The public response in the last 24 hours has been hugely positive.

The same law (Administrative Procedures Act) was used to block executive orders from the Trump Administration over 70 times.  The plaintiffs in this case were using the same rule book that worked well against the previous administration.  I don't know if Biden's getting great advice to try and turn this around because guess what happens after the next time the drapes change in the Oval Office?... 

Yesterday's ruling -- actions intended for a good cause still don't allow you to circumvent lawful procedure -- seems pretty sound to me.

If they do, it's going to stretch out into election season, and I don't know if that's the messaging that people will want.  Certainly the overall tone here on CC seems to be 60/40 in favor of dropping testing and was probably similar for onboard masking.  Those are odds that lose elections.

Edited by Lane Hog
  • Like 5

36 minutes ago, shutterbug63 said:

I think ya got the 'puff'...probably should try the 'pass' part.

Edited by bucfan2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

No they might appeal if the CDC wants to.  But they're not seeking a stay of the ruling, which seems pretty bizarre if their argument is masking is so crucial to slowing covid.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, shutterbug63 said:

Simple solution, don't bring your kids or immunocomprised people on a plane, mass transit or a cruise.  No issue for you then nor anyone else feeling the same way.  It's a choice everyone can make.  I am happy things are finally getting back to reality.

Edited by rhino7176
  • Like 7