Guides/Drivers Tipping Europe

duquephart

It is not at all difficult to find info that suggests that tipping is not a "thing" in Europe, especially northern/Scandinavian Europe. That tips are not expected and even considered rude. Why then does Viking suggest amount to tip?

2 minutes ago, duquephart said:

It is not at all difficult to find info that suggests that tipping is not a "thing" in Europe, especially northern/Scandinavian Europe. That tips are not expected and even considered rude. Why then does Viking suggest amount to tip?

My guess would be that Viking are providing a service to the majority of pax, who are your fellow citizens. With respect to tipping, most questions I read from pax are "How much should we tip", rarely do you read of somebody asking whether tipping is expected and/or appropriate.

Personally, I consider tipping a private matter and tip according to the quality of the service provided. Therefore, I don't pay attention to Viking's recommendations. I suspect most of the non-US pax are similar.

9 minutes ago, duquephart said:

Viking suggestions is universal as part of the FAQ on MVJ.

I have been on tours all over Europe, but not Northern Europe till 2023.🤩

I always tipped my guide in Euros based on how good they were. 95% were outstanding. They always accepted it. Most work for a third party .

One we had in Portugal was a private guide just for our small group. He was self employed. We still gave him a tip.  Another in Istanbul was also a private self-employed guide. We still exchange holiday greetings after all these years.

I plan not to tip in restaurants  when I take Scenic Scandinavia cruise  on June 2023. I  think I read the same background travel guide you did. 

5 minutes ago, Azulann said:

Viking suggestions is universal as part of the FAQ on MVJ.

I have been on tours all over Europe, but not Northern Europe till 2023.🤩

I always tipped my guide in Euros based on how good they were. 95% were outstanding. They always accepted it. Most work for a third party .

One we had in Portugal was a private guide just for our small group. He was self employed. We still gave him a tip.  Another in Istanbul was also a private self-employed guide. We still exchange holiday greetings after all these years.

I plan not to tip in restaurants  when I take Scenic Scandinavia cruise  on June 2023. I  think I read the same background travel guide you did. 

Certainly more than one "background travel guide", there is info everywhere. The point you will have no trouble finding is that guides/drivers used to dealing with American tourists are also used to being tipped but are neither surprised nor distressed when not tipped. That being used to tips is not the same as expecting tips.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Personally, I consider tipping a private matter and tip according to the quality of the service provided. Therefore, I don't pay attention to Viking's recommendations. I suspect most of the non-US pax are similar.

This might be the best and fairest way of looking at it, rather than allowing Viking to shame you into doing something which defies customs and expectations.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, duquephart said:

This might be the best and fairest way of looking at it, rather than allowing Viking to shame you into doing something which defies customs and expectations.

Viking doesn’t shame anyone into tipping.  If you are shamed, that’s on you and your perception.  We have tipped for good guides and drivers, and not tipped when the excursion is meh, just like Andy does.   

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Mich3554 said:

Viking doesn’t shame anyone into tipping.  If you are shamed, that’s on you and your perception.  We have tipped for good guides and drivers, and not tipped when the excursion is meh, just like Andy does.   

Shamed was probably not the best word to use. The point is that Viking encourages tipping by making suggestions as to amounts ----- contrary to conventions and norms. Perhaps they should add a disclaimer to their suggestions?

There are tons of web sites that provide tipping suggestions.  LonelyPlanet, TravelChannel, etc. 

The shipboard Program Director would be the Viking person I'd ask. I would not even glance at Viking's FAQ for such localized recommendaitons.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, duquephart said:

Certainly more than one "background travel guide", there is info everywhere.

it was a bit of humor, being that you are in my neighborhood of 10,000 Lakes.

I usually go to 1/2 price bookstore and get a travel guide for the country I visit. I love Lonely Planet, and the British one DK ... I pour over their maps and get a lay of the land for the cities I will be in and read the history of the area and already have a idea of what I want to see  way before I book any guide or excursion.

I do like the Resources tab  Viking has on their web site for each itinerary. 

Planning this trip feels so pre-covid. I can read books and watch some good movies about the countries of Northern Europe I will explore. 

Cheer, Blue sky today and heard the ice is out on Lake Minnetonka. 😀

20 minutes ago, Azulann said:

it was a bit of humor, being that you are in my neighborhood of 10,000 Lakes.

I usually go to 1/2 price bookstore and get a travel guide for the country I visit. I love Lonely Planet, and the British one DK ... I pour over their maps and get a lay of the land for the cities I will be in and read the history of the area and already have a idea of what I want to see  way before I book any guide or excursion.

I do like the Resources tab  Viking has on their web site for each itinerary. 

Planning this trip feels so pre-covid. I can read books and watch some good movies about the countries of Northern Europe I will explore. 

Cheer, Blue sky today and heard the ice is out on Lake Minnetonka. 😀

And robins (and mallards) in the yard.

• Like 1