Walking from Anchorage train station to Anchorage Hilton ??

dl6996

Hi 

We will be taking the train from Seward to Anchorage and arriving around 10pm. We then need to get to the Anchorage Hilton in downtown. We will have 2 big pieces of luggage and a carry on or two. It appears to be a quick walk but i am concerned if we are missing something (hills, hard to drag suitcases on sidewalks perhaps even with rollers?). They don't have a hotel shuttle bus, so our other option would be a taxi. What are your experiences with this?

Thanks!

Reference Google Map:

Google Maps

As noted by Northern Aurora it is almost all UP HILL - - -

About a 3 long block walk (hike)

Fine if going from hotel to depot all downhill

There are side walks and pedestrian paths (with stairs) to get you there.

Best your luggage have wheels 

Seasonally this is not a dark blind walk - there is ample street lighting. 

The most direct pedestrian path from the station parking lot has stairs, but one can also exit from the parking lot onto the street, where there are no stairs on the adjacent sidewalk. All told, it is a walk of about 1,500 feet, a climb of 70 feet elevation, sidewalks in good repair, ample street lighting. If you're disabled, using a walker, cannot handle your own baggage, then of course a taxi would be necessary, just as a taxi would be necessary for ordinary daily life at home. You would likely spend more time hailing a taxi, loading and unloading baggage, than the time it takes to walk the four blocks from the railroad station (First Avenue at C Street) to the hotel (E Street at Third Avenue). Overall, I would say the decision depends on the presence or absence of a physical disability, or having exceptionally unwieldy baggage.

• Like 2

Thanks! I was real hesitant to go the taxi route for a block or two--expensive and the wait time as well. Especially competing with a train load of people who need taxis/ubers etc all at the same time.  I think we might try the walk/stairs-we do have rollers on the luggage--we will just take it slow.

Edited by dl6996

• 5 months later...

The 3-4-5 block walk (up-hill) to most of the close hotels is all in open area no dark alleys

mangrove of shrubbery to lurk and hide in ambush.

More in likely in your hotel trek you will be with others doing the same.

This area is not noted for crime.

If walking more than 8 blocks (a mile + or -) perhaps consider a taxi - - -

You will do fine !

On 9/26/2022 at 12:31 PM, Libbyyell said:

I am looking at taking the train w/a late 9:15PM arrival in May.  How safe is it walking from the Train Depot to the area hotels if you are a lone female?  Are there plenty of people out and about at that time?    

Thank you.

It will still be light outdoors when walking to your hotel.  I’m going to say it’s safe to walk alone because a number of train riders will also be walking to hotels.  I just wouldn’t linger at the station.

Just as a FYI, this past summer on our four different train trips, there a number of homeless people camping on the grass near the station.  So if you take the stairs up the hill, you’ll pass a number of encampments.  We didn’t feel unsafe but spoke to others who were surprised by their presence.