Can you order lunch items in MDR at dinner and vice versa?

zhuangcorp

I have worked as a volunteer in kitchens doing meals for 600 people.  Providing variety is difficult and labor intensive.    Some things like ceasar salads if they are a the menu in the Lido or MDR would be easy.

The ship has to plan ahead to make sure they have supplies until their next restocking.

Asking for customized omelette when they are produced on an assembly line might be a little more troublesome. You get a basic omelette with extra protein.

I jumped into the discussion when someone said something was not possible in a condescending way and it was on the menu. 

11 hours ago, zhuangcorp said:

Sure, in that situation it might be difficult. But I see that they have caesar salad and and french onion soup everyday on the dinner menu. So I wonder if it wouldn't be too difficult to just ask for it during lunch. 

Best bet is to choose a more premium cruise line and not a mass market cruise line like HAL if you want that level of individual service - SilverSea, Seabourn, etc. Crystal offered more individual services, but they went bankrupt. 

I think many on Hal accept the built in need for group efficiencies , that help  keep prices lower.  

One does become a "group member" when boarding these ships - so it is amazing we find the service care level so high on HAL ships, but also find it necessary to be forgiving when individual needs and particular demands simply cannot be met.

An appreciation for meal logistics on any closed system like a cruise ship comes with the territory. Plus there is always 24/hour room service that does allow for more individual menu choices. Be sure and take a galley tour and get the lay of the land and see how "individual demands" fit into the big picture. 

7 minutes ago, zhuangcorp said:

Sure, if its too difficult for the crew, then I wouldn't worry about it. I just brought it up because Gary mentioned it in his video, and I wouldn't mind having a caesar salad during lunch. 

You can have that no problem in the lido.  I personally find they taste better there because it is made fresh to your liking.  I find the caesar tastes watery to me in the dining room.  The dining room will at best only be open for lunch on days you are at sea.  I've found the only time it may be open at lunch in port is when it's a late arrival i.e arriving to the port at noon or 1.   Not everything recording in a video has merit. I've found a number of things over the years are incorrect in his videos.  I hope he didn't say that the dining room will be open every day.  If he says it it must be true.

Edited by Florida_gal_50
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, zhuangcorp said:

Sure, in that situation it might be difficult. But I see that they have caesar salad and and french onion soup everyday on the dinner menu. So I wonder if it wouldn't be too difficult to just ask for it during lunch. 

I'll just point out that the salad and soup option, while available "everyday", are not prepared until dinnertime prep.  Not available "all day".

The staff will accommodate you if possible.

Before covid, we were on a HAL cruise and my diabetic sister asked our waiter if a sugar free cheesecake that she had on previous HAL cruises was going to appear o the menu as it was a dessert that she could safely eat and enjoy.

The waiter said he would check with the chef.

He came back later in the meal and told my sister that the chef would be happy to prepare the cheesecake and have it available for her each evening.

She happily took the chef up on his offer and looked forward to the sugar free cheesecake each evening.

In the past, I could always request the chicken noodle soup from the children's menu at dinner.  This time I was told it was not possible and that chicken noodle soup was only available in the lido. Maybe this was because our ship was only half full and there weren't many kids onboard but I was surprised. 

My main concern on an upcoming cruise is that I am diabetic.  I not only avoid sugars, but unfortunately i have to reduce starches, breads, etc.  I avoid have to avoid, french fries, pasta, even polenta and many sauces, From the looks of things, lido allows more choice than the MDR. pinnacle grill has asparagus, but most of the sides are starches.  I would have to turn down the clothes line bacon.  

The lido offers me better control and choice. 

The options are better than what airlines offer for diabetics,  flavorless pasta or rice dish.   Sure reducing certain fats is important,  but carbs are central to the problem.  A tasteless margarine on a white roll with hidden sugars  is not all that healthy.  

3 hours ago, ScoutDiver said:

My main concern on an upcoming cruise is that I am diabetic.  I not only avoid sugars, but unfortunately i have to reduce starches, breads, etc.  I avoid have to avoid, french fries, pasta, even polenta and many sauces, From the looks of things, lido allows more choice than the MDR. pinnacle grill has asparagus, but most of the sides are starches.  I would have to turn down the clothes line bacon.  

The options are better than what airlines offer for diabetics,  flavorless pasta or rice dish.   Sure reducing certain fats is important,  but carbs are central to the problem.  A tasteless margarine on a white roll with hidden sugars  is not all that healthy.  

Is protein still a problem?  My mom was diabetic when she was alive.  When she was first diagnosed you had to watch carbs but also protein.  I never hear that.  She was diagnosed many years ago.

1 hour ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Is protein still a problem?  My mom was diabetic when she was alive.  When she was first diagnosed you had to watch carbs but also protein.  I never hear that.  She was diagnosed many years ago.

Protein can be a problem,  my sister in on a vegetarian diet to relieve stress on kidneys.   I caught the condition early on.   I just have to watch diet in general and get exercise.  

Protein is not as big of an issue.   The body can convert excess protein into glucose.  

I east a lot of salads,, or mixed vegetables with some protein.   

A lot of so called healthy  grains in the form of breads, granola, have added sugar.  They are a double whammy.  I try to limit carbs to 75 grams a day.   I will pass up breads, a lot of sauces.   I am more fresh vegetables with some protein and not too much starches, corn, potatoes, even beans.   I hardly touch rice, pasta.  

Some of the sauces, BBQ, stir fry, etc have lots of sugar.  

My blood tests now say normal, but a small candy will spike it.   About a year ago, I got some steak sandwiches from fire house subs for my brother and I.   A medium (the bread) spiked my blood sugar and gave me a headache.   I can tolerate pizza from cauliflower crusts if they do not put sugar.  

This upcoming cruise may be a challenge. The lido will probably be my friend.  

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, ScoutDiver said:

If you read my post about my sister and the sugar free cheesecake, you will know that HAL will accommodate your medically necessary requirements.

She was diabetic and it was noted in her reservation.

Make sure you contact HAL ahead of time and have it noted in your reservation.

Of course, with the reduced number of passenger sailing on ships at this time, the ships stores of various food item may not be as large as in pre-covid days of full passenger loads.

On 4/22/2022 at 11:39 AM, Florida_gal_50 said:

You can have that no problem in the lido.  I personally find they taste better there because it is made fresh to your liking.  I find the caesar tastes watery to me in the dining room.  The dining room will at best only be open for lunch on days you are at sea.  I've found the only time it may be open at lunch in port is when it's a late arrival i.e arriving to the port at noon or 1.   Not everything recording in a video has merit. I've found a number of things over the years are incorrect in his videos.  I hope he didn't say that the dining room will be open every day.  If he says it it must be true.

Totally agree. Most of his advice that I’ve seen has been good but I also have only watched inconsistently and over the last year or so. Some of the advice is solid, but I’ve definitely seen a few things like the persistent “just ask at the gate for an upgrade on your flight” it just isn’t accurate (or not any more)

It’s important to remember most of the cruise YouTubers give pretty general advice. Unless they specifically speak about one line or another. He also spends most of his time on the premium and higher end lines which is what I like about him. Princess, HAL & Celebrity are the lower end/most mainstream of what he does so on his general videos one has to keep that in mind. 

As I recall the video where he mentioned custom requests was referencing cruises on Cunard’s Queen’s Grill & maybe Lumanie on X - neither of which are comparable to anything HAL has. I think he also mentioned ordering the night before. 

Night before last I was in Pinnacle and someone asked for a custom preparation of the scallops. The chef came out and asked what they were looking for and were happy to accommodate. The request was actually pretty simple (toss the scallops in Spices they have for another dish & then pan fry them in butter). Something like this in a specialty restaurant is pretty easy if they have what you are asking for on hand. The food is being cooked to order for you anyway. 

The MDR is on the other hand a glorified cafeteria. The waiters actually go through a huge buffet line and get your food. Each dish has a station with the main and all the sides and sauces that accompany it. You can generally mix and match a side from one or more dishes or switch one out for another with no issue. But if you want to go completely off menu or a different meal period is a big ask.

• Like 2

On 4/22/2022 at 11:39 AM, Florida_gal_50 said:

I hope he didn't say that the dining room will be open every day.  If he says it it must be true.

I actually laughed out loud at this. I’ve seen several YouTubers say exactly that when it is not true on any cruise line I’ve ever been on. It’s always been closed in port. In fact on the Zuiderdam we dock at 4PM in Victoria on Tuesday. Both MDR and Pinnacle are closed because it is a port day. 

• Like 1

No I don't think he said MDR is open on port days. He just said:

1) you can ask for off menu items, particularly from other parts of the ship

2) there are typically standard dishes that you can always ask for, such as chicken or steak

9 minutes ago, zhuangcorp said:

No I don't think he said MDR is open on port days. He just said:

1) you can ask for off menu items, particularly from other parts of the ship

2) there are typically standard dishes that you can always ask for, such as chicken or steak

I would say both of those statements are mostly true.  One poster did say they had the pea soup.  It was readily available though at the grand Dutch cafe.  It was made.  They weren’t putting on a special pot. Personally I wouldn’t ask someone to do that.  I’d just get it myself but it did work for her.   As far as steak and chicken is concerned I believe those are both available on the “always available” at supper time.  My guess is if you asked for them at lunch you’d be out of luck.  I mean they didn’t even want to get me a piece of salmon that is actually available at lunch and put it on a plate.

41 minutes ago, zhuangcorp said:

What if I asked for a little steak or something during lunch? 

Seriously???  I’m starting to really feel for the crew on your cruise 😔 😱 

If you want a little steak, I suggest you PAY for a PG lunch and have one there.  IIRC there was a small one on the menu.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Oven Roasted Chicken is pretty much available on kononingsdam from 11:00 AM to 6:00 AM.   A trip loin is available from 5:00 PM to 9:30 pm for a charge

You can order steak and eggs for breakfast from 6:00-11:00 for $15.  

Serving 2400 on Koningsdam takes planning.

I work sometime where a group of 12 or so volunteers will prepare smoked brisket , chicken dinner for sometimes 500 people at a scout camp and that requires some planning.   We use a professional bbq pit that can hold 50 or so briskets.  

I have heard that they will try to accomodate.  

Princess offers less than HAL for breakfast unless you are in a suite.

Celebrity and NCL may offer more options to their Haven and Retreat Suite guests but they charge a lot.   

I have gone on live a board scuba boats/yachts.   They would look at options 

but they had 2-4 chefs preparing for 30 people.  

5 hours ago, zhuangcorp said:

What if I asked for a little steak or something during lunch? 

This would be in the not reasonable category. The pinnacle grill is available for $15 + service charge and has a steak. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I’m thinking this thread has to be a joke.  It like the question has been answered at length then you hear but can I do it 😛🤪🙄, over and the over.

I really hope so because the crew does not deserve this

• Like 3

4 hours ago, kazu said:

Seriously???  I’m starting to really feel for the crew on your cruise 😔 😱 

If you want a little steak, I suggest you PAY for a PG lunch and have one there.  IIRC there was a small one on the menu.

I really hope it is. And your suggestion is exactly the right one! PG will be happy to sell the steak but they will probably want a lobster tail for no charge 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Currently on 14 day Zuiderdam , DR when open for lunch has same limited menu. Lots of discussions here are mentioning how things used to be .

staff are incredible but cut backs generally re food is evident.. doesn’t affect moi…

nothing appears to be available in any dining venue not specifically listed , very much so too for room service .. some same items always on dr dinner menu