Butchart Gardens Tour

I am sailing in the Royal Princess. We are in Victoria on Friday, May 27, from 12pm to 6pm. I’m looking at a tour with CVS tours. The return bus arrives at 5:20 to the Empress Hotel. Would then need a shuttle or taxi to the ship.  Is anyone else doing this?  Am I cutting it too close?  What are my other options for getting there.

Thanks

Too close, definitely! Back onboard time is usually 30mins before planned departure - and even if the CVS shuttle is bang on time, the odds of you hopping off that and straight into a cab to Ogden pier to arrive in enough time to get past port security and to the gangplank in under 10mins are slim to none.

Plus, Victoria might not have the rush hour traumas of big cities, but rushhour traffic means increased chance of collisions etc. that could impact both directions...

I had already heard that CVS are now selling specific time slots, rather than 'book departure time but return on ANY shuttle' like they used to - can you book an earlier tour? Otherwise consider renting a car or sharing a cab - with 4 bums on seats this should work out about the same as the price of a CVS tour, and means you don't have to waste time at the Butterfly house if you don't want to.

• Like 1

Thank you for your quick response.  The first departure after noon is 1:30. I knew in my heart this wouldn’t work.  Just needed to hear it from another level headed person 😊. We will try the taxi or rent a car option.  

• Like 1

Totally agree with Martincath.  But, just wanted to point out that instead of Butchart Gardens, you could take a taxi to Abkhazi Gardens to see that instead. https://www.abkhaziteahouse.com/   It’s much smaller than Butchart, but a lot closer.  It’s just an alternative.  If you have your heart set on Butchart, definitely rent a car and go.

• Like 1

I just wanted to mention that renting a car to pick up at the port may not be that easy.

I just posted on another thread about Craigdarroch Castle and the volunteer tended gardens at Government house. I added a picture of Craigdarroch over there. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/22/2022 at 4:05 AM, Alberta Quilter said:

Totally agree with Martincath.  But, just wanted to point out that instead of Butchart Gardens, you could take a taxi to Abkhazi Gardens to see that instead. https://www.abkhaziteahouse.com/   It’s much smaller than Butchart, but a lot closer.  It’s just an alternative.  If you have your heart set on Butchart, definitely rent a car and go.

how far is Abkhazi Gardens from the cruise terminal please? Would it be easy to get a taxi both ways? 

48 minutes ago, elmsliebev said:

how far is Abkhazi Gardens from the cruise terminal please? Would it be easy to get a taxi both ways? 

Going there, dead easy - all the cabs in Victoria know it's a cruise day and there's a line of them waiting to take your pennies! Coming back - take some numbers with you and call one if you don't see a cab cruising past and need one in a hurry, as it's a pretty residential area so there probably won't be many cabs trolling for business. But if you're reasonably mobile and not under time pressure it's a pleasant walk walk - here's a map from the pier - though not a short one at a little over 3 miles. Beacon Hill park is en route and also worth stopping at for some nice blooms, huge totem pole, longhouse etc.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, martincath said:

Going there, dead easy - all the cabs in Victoria know it's a cruise day and there's a line of them waiting to take your pennies! Coming back - take some numbers with you and call one if you don't see a cab cruising past and need one in a hurry, as it's a pretty residential area so there probably won't be many cabs trolling for business. But if you're reasonably mobile and not under time pressure it's a pleasant walk walk - here's a map from the pier - though not a short one at a little over 3 miles. Beacon Hill park is en route and also worth stopping at for some nice blooms, huge totem pole, longhouse etc.

that's great thanks. I think we'll probably head off there in a cab first, then walk back via Beacon Hill park, as that was also on my list. We walk a lot anyway.