What is ArriveCAN and do I have to do it for my Alaska cruise?

farjar

Someone on my Alaska cruise Meet & Greet mentioned the need to fill out an ArriveCAN form because of our stop in Vancouver.  I found this on a Canadian govt. website.  Is anyone familiar with this?  Have other passengers on upcoming Alaska cruises done this?  It was totally news to me.  I haven't heard anything from HAL about it being required.  Any info would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Use ArriveCAN to enter Canada

arrivecan-logo.jpg

You must use ArriveCAN to provide mandatory travel information before and after your entry into Canada. It only takes minutes to help keep each other safe.

Make sure you have the latest version of ArriveCAN

Download the latest version of the ArriveCAN app or click “update” in your app store. If you don’t, you may be asked to submit specific information that’s no longer required.

The next version of ArriveCAN (v.2.28) will be released on April 25, 2022. If you plan to travel on or after that date, make sure you have the latest version before submitting your mandatory information.

I am confused by the 4/21/22 update in HAL Covid test requirements for stops in Canada- it says that all passengers must either have PCR test within 3 days or Antigen within 2 days, but Canada government site says this is only for unvaccinated visitors.     I happen to be driving across country to Seattle for my cruise and have scheduled an Antigen test 3 days before cruise, and now it looks like that will not work according to HAL website, but I don’t feel it is correct.(Rapid PCR tests are way more expensive)

1 hour ago, Donnag3 said:

I am confused by the 4/21/22 update in HAL Covid test requirements for stops in Canada- it says that all passengers must either have PCR test within 3 days or Antigen within 2 days, but Canada government site says this is only for unvaccinated visitors.     I happen to be driving across country to Seattle for my cruise and have scheduled an Antigen test 3 days before cruise, and now it looks like that will not work according to HAL website, but I don’t feel it is correct.(Rapid PCR tests are way more expensive)

If you are fully vaccinated, you do not need a COVID test to drive into Canada, although you will have to make an ArriveCAN submission.

The PCR (72 hours) or antigen (2 days) test requirements are for all passengers, including those who are vaccinated. You will need to push back your antigen test by one day.

2 hours ago, farjar said:

Someone on my Alaska cruise Meet & Greet mentioned the need to fill out an ArriveCAN form because of our stop in Vancouver.  I found this on a Canadian govt. website.  Is anyone familiar with this?  Have other passengers on upcoming Alaska cruises done this?  It was totally news to me.  I haven't heard anything from HAL about it being required.  Any info would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Use ArriveCAN to enter Canada

arrivecan-logo.jpg

You must use ArriveCAN to provide mandatory travel information before and after your entry into Canada. It only takes minutes to help keep each other safe.

Make sure you have the latest version of ArriveCAN

Download the latest version of the ArriveCAN app or click “update” in your app store. If you don’t, you may be asked to submit specific information that’s no longer required.

The next version of ArriveCAN (v.2.28) will be released on April 25, 2022. If you plan to travel on or after that date, make sure you have the latest version before submitting your mandatory information.

I suggest that you come and visit the Canadian Cruisers board. Lots of information there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Fouremco said:

The PCR (72 hours) or antigen (2 days) test requirements are for all passengers, including those who are vaccinated. You will need to push back your antigen test by one day.

I suggest that you come and visit the Canadian Cruisers board. Lots of information there.

Any clarification of "72 hours" and "2 days"? 

From my experience with previous post-restart cruises and all of the ever evolving rules I'm assuming that "72 hours" is a strict timer that ends at departure time and that "2 days" is the looser definition that says if your cruise departs on Saturday, for instance, you can get tested any time on the previous Thursday or Friday..... but I've certainly been wrong before.

3 minutes ago, groundloop said:

From my experience with previous post-restart cruises and all of the ever evolving rules I'm assuming that "72 hours" is a strict timer that ends at departure time and that "2 days" is the looser definition that says if your cruise departs on Saturday, for instance, you can get tested any time on the previous Thursday or Friday..... but I've certainly been wrong before.

The 72 hours are prior to boarding, not departure. Which is less strict IMO than the day count, as it varies with the individual's boarding time. I'm sure that cruiselines take a lenient approach to counting the hours. I think that the day measure is more exact as, using your example, it extends from precisely 00:00:01 on Thursday until whatever time checkin closes. I see no advantage in using 72 hours rather than 3 days.

Boarding time is much better than departure time. I guess with the first voyages starting soon all these questions will be worked out before our May 15 departure.  We used ArriveCAN for a long weekend trip to Niagara and it worked fine, so that makes me feel better. 

Edited by lderochi

12 hours ago, groundloop said:

The Canadian government website has very specific definition for 72 hours and 2 days with examples.

Unfortunately, I see that  ArriveCan is being revised with a new version being released on 4/25/2004.

I usually follow the links to obtain the specific information for boarding cruise ships (trains, etc) in Canada  but the website is down today (probably working on the new information for release).

What was on the Canadian page was that 72 hours specifically meant 72 hours from  scheduled departure ( NOT boarding) of the ship.  If you are schedule to depart at 4PM on Friday, you can test anytime after 4 PM on Tuesday.

The two days are counted the same as the cruiselines counting. Think of it as not including the day of departure.  If you leave on Friday, you can test anytime on Wednesday up until the time of departure.

This only applied to vaccinated travelers.

I am really hoping that testing requirements are not being made tougher for cruisers.

Edited by Homosassa

7 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

The Canadian government website has very specific definition for 72 hours and 2 days with examples.

What was on the Canadian page was that 72 hours specifically meant 72 hours from  scheduled departure ( NOT boarding) of the ship.  If you are schedule to depart at 4PM on Friday, you can test anytime after 4 PM on Tuesday.

Where did you see that the 72 hours was from DEPARTURE time? (We are sailing next week and I want to make sure I get it right!)

From this website: https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise it says that the test must be within 72 hours of the SCHEDULED BOARDING TIME. But on the HAL website one spot says prior to embarkation and another says prior to sailing. 

1. Proof of a valid negative molecular test taken within 72 hours of your scheduled boarding time
    • for example, if you’re scheduled to board at 11:00 am on Friday, your test must have been taken any time after 10:59 am on Tuesday
  • Thanks 1

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/news/2022/04/government-of-canada-announces-additional-easing-of-border-measures-effective-april-25.html

This is the change coming April 25.  It is a further easing of restrictions.  

I know it’s easier for me as I live in Vancouver but I will be getting the cheaper Antigen test within 2 days of departure.   I read the PCR test as within 72 hours of “boarding time” also.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Homosassa said:

Well, I don't know what webpage you are looking at, but the information in my post was based on the following webpage that was updated yesterday, April 22. It clearly states that it is within 72 hours of boarding, not scheduled departure.

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/coronavirus-disease-covid-19/arrivecan.html

Who needs to use ArriveCAN

All travellers, with limited exceptions, whether entering Canada by air, land, rail or marine vessel, must use ArriveCAN unless you're exempt from this requirement due to an accessibility need.

You'll need to submit your information within 72 hours:

• before your arrival to Canada
  • and/or before boarding a cruise ship destined for Canada
3 hours ago, AryMay said:

Where did you see that the 72 hours was from DEPARTURE time? (We are sailing next week and I want to make sure I get it right!)

From this website: https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise it says that the test must be within 72 hours of the SCHEDULED BOARDING TIME. But on the HAL website one spot says prior to embarkation and another says prior to sailing. 

1. Proof of a valid negative molecular test taken within 72 hours of your scheduled boarding time
    • for example, if you’re scheduled to board at 11:00 am on Friday, your test must have been taken any time after 10:59 am on Tuesday

Yes, boarding time. We cite two different webpages, but both say boarding time, not departure time.

EDITED TO ADD:

Both @AryMay and I quoted GOC regulations. Some cruiselines, HAL for example, have chosen to use 72 hours prior to departure time. As this is a more limiting time frame, it meets the Canadian regulations. I think we all would benefit from stating the source and providing a link when making a statement on regulations.

Edited by Fouremco

The HAL webpage has two different references to this testing timeline and the two guidelines are worded differently.

The PDF File for Health Guidelines for Alaska & Canada/New England:

Guests who are up to date with their vaccines or fully vaccinated may take their COVID-19 PCR test within 72 hours prior to sailing or a medically observed antigen test within 2 days before sailing.

The FAQ's:

Guests embarking in a Canadian port OR a U.S. port that includes Canada in the itinerary:

All guests aged 2 and older are required to take either an antigen COVID-19 test within 2 days of embarkation or PCR COVID-19 test within 72 hours prior to embarkation.  

Thank you to everyone for posting links and changes.  I leave on the May 8 Alaska from Vancouver.  I already started my ArriveCan application and will have to make sure that I get the update.  I like the change that says no more quarantine location info needed.  And I had made my video monitored rapid antigen test appt based on the one day prior requirement so interesting that it's now moved to two days.  

All I know is that when traveling these days the only thing that's guaranteed is change.

Happy trails and see y'all on a DAM ship.

56 minutes ago, SeaSickCecil said:

Thank you to everyone for posting links and changes.  I leave on the May 8 Alaska from Vancouver.  I already started my ArriveCan application and will have to make sure that I get the update.  I like the change that says no more quarantine location info needed.  And I had made my video monitored rapid antigen test appt based on the one day prior requirement so interesting that it's now moved to two days.  

All I know is that when traveling these days the only thing that's guaranteed is change.

Happy trails and see y'all on a DAM ship.

Yes, changes galore, but hopefully no more for you with just a couple of weeks to go. Have a great cruise!

So just to make sure I'm understanding correctly, ArriveCan is only used to transfer my information to the Canadian authorities?  Once I make the submission I'm done with it (in other words I don't have to pull up the app to board the ship or to disembark in a Canadian port)?

33 minutes ago, groundloop said:

So just to make sure I'm understanding correctly, ArriveCan is only used to transfer my information to the Canadian authorities?  Once I make the submission I'm done with it (in other words I don't have to pull up the app to board the ship or to disembark in a Canadian port)?

It depends on the situation. For example, if you are going to fly into Vancouver and then take an RT Alaskan cruise that disembarks in Vancouver, you will be to make two submissions, one prior to flying into Canada and one prior to boarding your cruise. In each case, you should need to have your receipt at hand when clearing customs and when checking in. You can print hard copies if you don't want to pull up the app.